PDA

View Full Version : First Time Driver - Leaving Next Week!

JohnBoy
03-09-2003, 21:40
Hi All

Firstly, this is a great place to research the perfect trip, so thankyou all for putting this together.

I have pretty much everything organised for my trip, but I have never driven in the US before. I fly into Sanford and have an alamo car booked. I am staying on Major Bvd right by Universal.

I drive a lot of miles in the UK, frequently navigating the M25 and the M6. My question to you all is - should I try the I4 route which on paper looks very direct and quick (the junction from the I4 looks right by my hotel), or should I go to my hotel via the toll roads (which a lot of web sites recommend)? My flight arrives at about 3:30pm on Tuesday - so I dont know whether heavy traffic could be a factor?

In addition - can anyone recommend a good map which I can download or buy?

Cheers!!!!!

Chris7
03-09-2003, 23:22
This site has routes from both airports to most places

http://www.orlando-maps.info/top_down_maps/kissimmee_top_down.htm

Carla
04-09-2003, 00:09
You'll probably be in your car by about 4.30pm, so I would avoid Interstate 4 for most, if not all of the journey, particularly anywhere near Downtown Orlando as it will be congested with rush-hour traffic. The indirect route using the 417 will help you to avoid all of this and will be much quicker. You can come down 417 and then drive up International Drive to your hotel.

The tolls on the 417 will cost you about $5. Make sure you have some small change handy.

esprit
04-09-2003, 08:41
There are some fairly spectacular crashes and traffic jams on 1-4. I try and avoid it at all costs and use the Greeneway ( 417. It is worth the toll money to prevent you tearing your hair out. I advise all my renters to take the Greeneway to 192. It is much safer when you are learning the driving ropes to use something quieter.

chrisj
04-09-2003, 12:57
We used the 417, it was really easy, nice and quiet and meant the first journey was
good, also gave you time to get used to the car and all the buttons etc

JohnBoy
04-09-2003, 15:26
Thanks to all of you for your replies. I'll take the safer and less busy route and ensure I have a few dollars ready for the tolls!

Just one other thing - am I right to assume that for my first journey to LBV and the disney parks, I will be OK to use the I4 from universal bvd? Or is there another route I should take.

DMC
04-09-2003, 17:35
Hi

The trip down I4 from Universal to Disney is only a few miles, so even in heavy traffic it shouldn't take too long, although it gets busy at peak time the traffic does tend to keep moving along, far better than the M25 on a wet Friday evening. :(

As for driving in the USA - there are no roundabouts and the traffic lights are hung across the carriageway, which take a bit of getting used to.

My only other tip is that at a "red light", providing nothing is coming, you can turn right !!!

This agian takes a bit of adjustment, both in terms of waiting at a red light and you can't understand why the car behind you is leaning on his horn, also you do get cars pulling out in front of you, when you least expect it.

Otherwise it is pretty straight forward and the road network is on the whole very good and easy to follow.

Have fun :)

DMC

huckleberry house
04-09-2003, 18:04
Hi Johnboy
For your initial visit definitely use the 417,it is perfect for easing you into driving on the right.Once you have done that the I4 really is easy to do and while it sometimes gets busy it usually always moves and with no traffic lights etc is a smooth easy drive.
If you can manage the m25 and the m6 you will have no difficulties at all in Florida.
I recently drove (in US)for the first time a week ago,I do not drive a lot at home and was literally a shivering wreck when I got to the rental desk but after half an hour I was thinking how easy it was and it just got easier and easier.You should have no problems at all.
Lesley

chrizzy100
04-09-2003, 18:59
quote:Originally posted by DMC

Hi

The trip down I4 from Universal to Disney is only a few miles, so even in heavy traffic it shouldn't take too long, although it gets busy at peak time the traffic does tend to keep moving along, far better than the M25 on a wet Friday evening. :(

As for driving in the USA - there are no roundabouts and the traffic lights are hung across the carriageway, which take a bit of getting used to.

My only other tip is that at a "red light", providing nothing is coming, you can turn right !!!

This agian takes a bit of adjustment, both in terms of waiting at a red light and you can't understand why the car behind you is leaning on his horn, also you do get cars pulling out in front of you, when you least expect it.

Otherwise it is pretty straight forward and the road network is on the whole very good and easy to follow.

Have fun :)

DMC

I find it scary watching a Brit TV show when their in a car driving along now...I feel like they will hit oncoming traffic driving in that side of the road....I close my eyes....

A note about turning on a red....make sure its OK to do so ......sometimes there will be a no turn on red sign......but people behind will still beeb you if they can't see it....and they can be hard to see....or the ones round here are.....We up in in Mass are one of the few States with roundabouts......they are a nightmare......I'm sure Americans have no idea what a give way sign means.....you end up feeling like you're living in a mix between London and Paris (France) everytime you go round one....

chrisj
04-09-2003, 19:39
One thing I noticed and those who live in Crescent lakes might have come accross this.

When coming home heading down the OBT, you come to the junction with poinciana traffic
lights and have to turn left.

There is a filter for left turns, but it only goes green every other time. I noticed that
people were ignoring it and turning anyway. I took it they were locals. Must confess I
also did it once.

Also noticed when the road had signs to merge that people would race to get in front of you
and then sit at 55mph a few feet in front of you, I then slowed down cos I dont like sitting
on someones bumper.

But to drive in Florida is great, hardly any traffic and so easy.

chrizzy100
04-09-2003, 20:00
quote:Originally posted by chrisj

One thing I noticed and those who live in Crescent lakes might have come accross this.

When coming home heading down the OBT, you come to the junction with poinciana traffic
lights and have to turn left.

There is a filter for left turns, but it only goes green every other time. I noticed that
people were ignoring it and turning anyway. I took it they were locals. Must confess I
also did it once.

Also noticed when the road had signs to merge that people would race to get in front of you
and then sit at 55mph a few feet in front of you, I then slowed down cos I dont like sitting
on someones bumper.

But to drive in Florida is great, hardly any traffic and so easy.

On some left turns you don't always get a filter arrow....but you can go if the light next to it is green on your turn and no traffic is coming......sometimes the lights are hard to follow.....I think all left turns should have filters....all the time....trying to get across if they don't can be real hard in the summer......

chrisj
05-09-2003, 00:37
Oh on this one there was a filter light, just it only went green every other time, which was
odd

sunshine state
05-09-2003, 02:59
I have never driven on the roads in Florida as i am under age but from what my dad tells me its quite easy as all the roads are straight and you can turn right on a red light it will take a little bit of time to get use to things but im sure you will get the hang of it in the end.

mike

Ruth
05-09-2003, 03:47
After you have been driving for a short while driving on the "wrong" side it feels very natural and we struggle when we get home to revert back to the "normal" side[:I]

JohnBoy
05-09-2003, 15:25
Thanks for all your posts - they are a great help. I'll save I4 for my journey to the disney area on the second day of my holiday.

Tonight is my last Friday night stuck on the M25 before my holiday....yey!

chrisj
05-09-2003, 15:26
Johnboy

Have a great time

sunshine state
05-09-2003, 17:57
Have a great time on your trip

sunshine state

campers moll
15-10-2003, 03:41
I drove in Florida for the first time last month. First time out was just around the sub division as I'd never driven an automatic before. Next day I drove to Seaworld, by the 3rd drive, I was like a duck to water. Absolutely no problem.

I found the I4 alot less stressful than british motorways. There is alot of weaving in and out of lanes. Once I looked in my mirror, when I looked back there was a car wedged in between me and matie in front. I personally think the americans are awful drivers and by the amount of accidents we saw only prooves my point.

Having said that, the roads are straight and wide with a hard shoulder on both sides of the road. The traffic lights are straightforward. We did actually see a roundabout! However I can't for the life of me remember where it was, but they need one up at Belz, major confusion there [:I]

If I can drive there, you can too. It's actually nicer than driving here!

Don't forget to keep your driving license with you (or in the glove compartment which is where we kept ours)

lisi
15-10-2003, 14:25
Remember too to have some quarters in your car and not just paper money. My son being a first time driver in Florida took a wrong turn and we ended up at one of those automatic tolls - 25c only and nobody there and no change and you could not go back, just had to go forward! Needless to say we had not got coins and drove through the red light to the sound of bells and cameras flashing! It said 100 dollar fine would be the penalty, but so far I have received no demand!!! But you never know. WE were worried about the driving and sometimes took wrong turns - it just meant we saw more of the lovely Florida countryside.
Lisi :D

chrizzy100
15-10-2003, 19:44
quote:Originally posted by lisi

Remember too to have some quarters in your car and not just paper money. My son being a first time driver in Florida took a wrong turn and we ended up at one of those automatic tolls - 25c only and nobody there and no change and you could not go back, just had to go forward! Needless to say we had not got coins and drove through the red light to the sound of bells and cameras flashing! It said 100 dollar fine would be the penalty, but so far I have received no demand!!! But you never know. WE were worried about the driving and sometimes took wrong turns - it just meant we saw more of the lovely Florida countryside.
Lisi :D

We've also gone through the odd toll and the money never hit the net before we drove off....it costs us around $20 in tolls to get down to Orlando from here...my daughters boyfriend drove through the first toll and it was not till he got to the next one with a red stop light that he know he had to pay...just like a man....LOL
He never got a fine....but we never travel now without $5 worth of coins......

chrisj
16-10-2003, 01:51
If you only go through one, they wont fine you. We did it when we got off the 417 early on
the way back from Cocoa, the Toll was un-maned and we had no change. So had no choice but
to go through it.

Asked a neighbour where we were staying and he said it would be ok as along as it
was only once.

That was in August and havent heard anything

Citrus-view
26-11-2003, 00:03
Hi the only thing that I can add to the others is

1) Have a navigator in the right hand seat, pref one who can drive. Exits can be close together.

2) keep a notice on the dash that says "right" or other reminder

3) Most accidents involving brits is on left turns! - Keep your head and head to the right hand side of the road you are turning into

Apart from that relax and enjoy[8)]