PDA

View Full Version : What Gulf Coast resort would suit us best?

KennethM
18-01-2007, 00:04
Hi,

We're going to Florida this summer and planning to spend a week on the Gulf Coast, after a week in Orlando area. We plan to rent a villa and chill out a bit, after a hectic week or so at the parks [msncool]

We've been to Florida 6 times before and have mainly stayed in Orlando or on the Atlantic coast. We spent a few days at Clearwater once when kids were young and it was OK - very scenic but found it quiet and not for young kids at that time.

Kids are now teenagers. We enjoy activites (eg renting a boat, waterskiing, hiring bikes), shopping (outlet and mall) and sightseeing. We like to be based close to the coast but we're not beach people - nice to look at but not to sunbathe on [msnsmile2]

We also like a resort/town with a 'heart' to walk through, spend time in evenings and 'people-watch' etc. We like to eat out in evenings but prefer relaxed / value restaurants, as opposed to prestigious / expensive.

Any suggestions as to what area we should go to?

Thx.

andrewmckay5
18-01-2007, 00:56
Kenneth,

I am obviously biased but have to say that the Rotonda area suits all your criteria. Number 1 the area is fully liscensed for short term rentals of a week; this is not true for all parts of the Gulf.
All the activities you stipulate are very well catered for with a number of beaches only 10 to 15 minutes drive and shopping is available 15 minutes away at the Port Charlotte Mall:

Port Charlotte Town Center promises shopping success! Anchor stores, Beall's, Dillard's, JCPenney, macy*s and Sears, offer a wide variety of fashions for the whole family and for your home. Find everything you are looking for when you shop these anchor stores and the more than 100 specialty stores and eateries located in the mall. Port Charlotte Town Center features one of Florida's largest food courts located in an indoor shopping mall. The Regal 16 Cinemas features stadium seating and Dolby digital surround sound on 16 screens.

Also 40 minutes drive to a major outlet [website link edited]

Rotonda itself does not have the "heart" as it is residential with 4 golf courses but there is old Englewood and especially Boca Grande to visit, again 10 to 15 nminutes drive.

I would suggest you put a Gulf enquiry out on the link above http://www.orlandovillas.com/ and ask for more information. I'm 100% sure you will not be disappointed but I am biased . However I know there are a number of forum members who have stayed there and hopefully will post.

andrew

Vanessa
18-01-2007, 01:22
Kenneth,

I must agree with Andrew about Rotonda. Of course, I too am a biased owner of a home in this beautiful area. My family has stayed in various parts of Florida for many years and stumbled into Rotonda about 5 years ago. It has so much to offer- Luxurious homes, golf, close proximity to Fabulous Beaches and World Class Fishing. Boating, kayaking, miles of paved bike trails, hiking, close to several wonderful state parks (especially Myaaka River)

I have 2 teenagers myself and they absolutely LOVE the area! You can be as busy as you want to be or not. Its your choice!

Good Luck in planning your trip!

Clare R
18-01-2007, 04:40
As a Rotonda owner naturally I am biased towards the area and in fact it is not where you 'chose' to go but where Short Term Rentals are pemitted. There are very few Gulf Coast areas with STR permission, the main area being Rotonda, Englewood.

With respect to having a heart to a place the nearest you will find that is Venice, 20 miles north of Englewood, which has a one street almost High Street feel to it but short term rentals are at a premium if allowed at all.

Follow the link that Andrew has given you and I am sure you will come up with one, or all, of us Rotonda owners.

KennethM
18-01-2007, 14:29
Thanks folks, very helpful [msnsmile]

We'll do some research into the area and I'll certainly check home owners here for availability, rates etc.

One question re searching on this site ... do I select only "Rotunda West" in the Advanced search or is there many of the communities listed actually in the Rotunda area?

Thanks.

Ken

KennethM
18-01-2007, 14:31
Sorry ... "Rotonda West" [:I]

K.

Clare R
18-01-2007, 15:51
Rotonda West is one community. 8005 plots, half of which is developed and is mainly a residential area so you feel part of American life but with rental homes situated among the residents.

The area is divided up into segments, most of the rental properties are in Long Meadow, White Marsh and Broadmoor with a few in Pine Valley and Pinehurst.

Ruth
18-01-2007, 17:13
Cape Haze, Englewood and Port Charlotte are right next to Rotonda and I would totally recommend them as well as great places to stay[8D]They too allow STR of a week (or less) and we have stayed there and Rotonda many times

Clare R
18-01-2007, 17:44
I beg to disagree, Charlotte County stipulate a minimum of seven nights, I have queried this with our Management Company many times and they have always said that 7 nights is the restriction.

Ruth
18-01-2007, 22:43
I am fairly sure Charlotte County have no restrictions Clare as I looked into it when we were looking to buy. Perhaps your MC don't want the extra work that a short booking brings?

Clare R
19-01-2007, 05:45
I raised this very point but have repeatedly been told that it is Charlotte County regulations.

rosegarden
24-01-2007, 14:50
Pinellas County which encompasses two of the United States best beaches (Caladeski Island/Honeymoon Island and Fort Do Soto) and miles of beaches in between has 1000s of short term rental [edited out - this is a family forums]iniums and townhomes and houses too. They tend to be right on the beach areas, not inland like some other communities that are waterfront and not necessarily beach waterfront.
There are major seaside towns that cater for tourists St Petersburg Beach and Clearwater Beach. Some of the cities were established in the mid 1800s and so have a lot of character and infrastructure. Downtown St Petersburg is a great place for restaurants, shopping at Baywalk, the Pier and Yacht Marina, all close to one another so are fabulous for wandering around. It is very safe too. There are major museums like the Salvador Dali and Holocaust Museums and lots of smaller ones and galleries for those interested in some culture. Dunedin - near to Clearwater is a pretty little town with an artistic community. Tampa and it's airport are only 20 mins from St Pete and about 40 from St Pete Beach. In Tampa is the fabulous International Plaza a great mall anchored with Neiman Marcus/Nordstroms/Dillards and all the designer stores in between - LV/Hugo Boss/Tiffany etc etc. There is easy access to Ellenton Mall an outlet mall, then there is Countryside Mall, Tyrone Square Mall, Clearwater Mall and Parkside Mall. All of these are very large. Pinellas County is a very large and vibrant population and there is no shortage of things to do. Depending on the season, it's home to winter leagues for the major baseball teams. Tampa Bay Bucs are nearby during football season, The Devil Rays baseball team is watchable in comfort in the huge air conditioned Tropicana Field stadium in St Pete (I know a good bar to hang out in down there too) and there is loads of places to play golf from pretty easy par 54s to PGA tour championship courses like Innisbrook. There are tons of free tennis courts to walk onto and you can hire bikes and cycle one of the several bike/walking/skating trails that cross the county, one being over 25 miles in length. Add to that countless opportunities for water sport/boating and fishing and free parks for the children all over the place, you might not go wrong in my area too.

Chaufeurse
21-03-2007, 18:07
SW Florida is a lovely area and like the other people I too am biased as I have a couple of homes in Cape Coral. I like to be able to go up or down from there. We really enjoy the Everglades and in particular Everglade City - especially the ranger boat out of there. Then there is the boating out of Cape Coral plus the wonderful Naples - love to go on the pier at Naples.

Best wishes all,

Chris

Pookie
22-03-2007, 11:39
Hi

I am also baised towards the Cape Haze peninsular & Rotonda West in particular as we have oue second home there.

We have one son, now 18 years old & he loves it.
There are numerous water sports and activities, bike trails, fishing, mini golf, tennis, gyms, wildlife & of course shopping.

Rotonda is ideally located to explore the barrier islands that skirt this coastline, from Manasota Key to Gasparilla Island.

You are not far from Sanibel Island, Fort Myers & Sarasota
a few of the places great to visit.

Wherever you choose I do not think you will be disappointed.

Lynne

rosegarden
20-09-2007, 18:05
I tried to upload pictures of the pinellas area beaches and places, there is so much to do in this area, it's nearer to Disney, great if you are using Tampa Airport instead of Orlando for arrival/departure and offers a lot of nightlife and entertainment for teens. There are 50 golf courses in the Tampa Bay area, all varying abilities and prices.
Boats/jetskis/kayaks etc easily hired, fishing charters, MLB baseball, NFL football (all in season) preseason starts August for Bucs, training July. Free tennis courts all over the place, every town centre has parks and things for younger children. Free entertainment put on by cities all year round, cinema shows, concerts, art shows etc etc.

SDJ
20-09-2007, 21:24
Great descriptions Rosegarden. We used to own in Clearwater, and I agree, a fantastic place with plenty to do in surrounding areas without driving miles and miles. One can also visit Tarpon Springs, the Greek community. It is like stepping back in time, with the sponge docks and many restaurants and bakery's, it is worth a half day or evening visit.

Another place to brwose, is Dunedin. It has loads of antique shops and sometimes street markets going on Downtown. Several restaurants and even pavements to walk on.

Sandra