PDA

View Full Version : Florida in August

NigelM
15-01-2007, 17:04
Am travelling in March for what my wife and I reluctantly think will be our last visit. Why?

This will be our fifth visit in 8 years. We have always chose March-May for the more reasonable cliamte and have taken the kids out of school. After this year me eldest will be starting his GCSE courses and so we will not be hoiking him out of school. this wil then repeat for his two younger brothers until such tme they have all finished school/college at which time Florida may not have the same appeal as a family with smnall children.

We have made our mind up that it is not a viable holiday destinantion in July/August due to the oppressive heatt and humidity and the exorbitant costs of air travel. Are we wrong? I am basing our view on haersay so for now would wish to gain the views og more knowledgeable folk.

What say you?

CERICROWLEY
15-01-2007, 17:25
Nigel

I have been going in the school holidays now for about 2 years, this will be our 3rd year.

Our eldest is taking triple science, so will be taking the first of her GCSE's in year 10 in May.

Yes it is more expensive, but with our working timescales, if we don't take time off when the kids are out of school, we find we don't spend family time together and enjoy our holidays. Kids faces are :(as we are constantly working not really a 9-5 job.

The summer last year was a lot less humid that the year before, Yes it is very warm and the nights stay about the same, just less humid. Parks are busy, but don't forget the American children finish school earlier in the year than us and go back mid to end of July as well. so after this time, you will normally find a lot of british people rather than american.

As a seasoned Orlando traveller you should be well versed in the get up early to avoid the queues. And there is so much more to do than the parks anyway.

When we spent the summer out there last year, guess what we went to the park all of 5 times in 6 weeks.[msnoo] We have not found so much more to do.

Our kids have found wake boarding and like to visit the baseball batting cages, and the state parks, as well as some mini golf etc. And they just love to make sure they come back early enough to use the pool EVERYDAY.

It was a decision we made a couple of years ago, to only do the school hols, and we have enjoyed everyone of them.

dawn
15-01-2007, 17:44
Hi Nigel,

We also have school-age children and like Ceri always go in July/August. I can honestly say that I do not find it too uncomfortable, as they are so prepared over there - air conditioned cars, buildings, restaurants, rides, shops etc etc. And of course there is always the swimming pool at the villa - perfect[msnsmile2]

NigelM
15-01-2007, 17:45
Just re-read my original post. Please excuse the typo's!!

[msnembarrased]

GrahamC
15-01-2007, 18:03
We are in the same boat, and have had to go in August for the last 6 years.

You will find that after the first week in August the Parks do calm down a bit as the Americans start going back to school.

Yes it is warm, but as with Dawn, we have never found it a problem and the air conditioning does its job.

I would like to be able to do something about the air fares, but all you can do is shop around. The airlines know they have a prime destination, and will charge what they can get away with. There are some good Charter airlines flying there now that are certainly cheaper than the main carriers.

Paula D-S
15-01-2007, 18:04
After normally going in May we went to Florida for the first time during the school holidays last year. To be honest I was quite anxious about the heat and humidity but can honestly say I've known it hotter in May. The weather was great and I'd not worry about going in July/August again. The flights can be more expensive in the school holidays but that will be the same with any destination.

gwendolinemary
15-01-2007, 18:08
Don't believe Florida loses it's appeal when your family is past school age - mine are 23 and 20 and still won't let us go to Florida without them!! It's a different kind of holiday but just as enjoyable none the less when you go as four adults.
[msnsmile][msnsmile]

davidrodgie
15-01-2007, 18:11
Nigel
We also have been in August for the last 2 years, since the children are getting to an age where taking them out of school would be difficult. The humidty last year as Ceri said was no where near as bad as the previous year. The flight prices are a bit more expensive around this time of year around £350 thats what we paid last year. We didn't find it any busier than when we've been in May as the American children go back to school early August.
Hope you have a great time whatever you decide to do.
[msnsmile]
Jeanette

NigelM
15-01-2007, 18:56
Thanks

Interesting to note that you were quoted prices around £350.00. Whenever I have asked they have been over £500.

linda allen
15-01-2007, 19:15
We love August, especially towards the end of August as it is alot quieter then as the American children are back in school.

Pat M
16-01-2007, 00:18
hi nigel we went in august last year and found it quite hot but if you have been quite a few times now you may not do the parks quite as much as in earlier visits so staying at the villa with a pool and the AC in the house you tend not to feel the heat quite so much, we flew from glasgow and flights from there with globespan were around £400 so not too bad, my grandaughter does her GCSE exams this year and usually they are finished by the end of may/ june so you could always go then, i know grandaughters school would tell us the exam schedule if we asked them maybe your sons school would do the same pat

ShirleyD
16-01-2007, 00:22
You may find that if you take your holiday as late as you can in August that it will be slightly cheaper...as well as being quieter in the parks....There seems to be a mad exodus when the schools break up, then the flights quieten down.

mizzy
16-01-2007, 00:54
if not august then wouldn't easter be a viable option, most schools have a two week break at easter time or how about christmas?

Mizzy

Eden
16-01-2007, 01:08
Hi,

We have also travelled for the last couple of years in the children's summer holidays and haven't found it a problem. We've had wonderful weather during the day and one or two exciting storms in an evening

My son has just got really excited reading about the batting cages that Ceri mentioned.

Could anyone give me more details of where abouts they are, do they provide the equipment, how much etc.

Also not sure what wake boarding is?

Thanks[msnsmile2]

mfairhurst
16-01-2007, 01:12
You have to keep putting the dates in most days and at all times of the day for flights maybe some companys are doing not as well as others and they reduce to take booking .
As they say on one of the last messages not only for the young ones i know it is hard to go first time but i bet they want to go with at a later years.[msnsmile2]
Been there.
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

christhear
16-01-2007, 01:33
We thought that August would be a bad time to travel but decided to give it a go. Really enjoyed ourselves, it is quite hot but its easy to cool down - if you are at the parks jsut head for a water ride. If you're at the villa go for a dip or if your out and about go do some shopping at an air cinditioned Mall.
With regards to the flights you just have to shop around a lot. BA seemed to be doing a good deal one week, got flights for the 3 of us (2 adults and 1 child) for under £1100.

becbecs
16-01-2007, 20:26
We didn't think that our August 2005 trip was much busier than when we went in May/June 2003, (but could be wrong) The busiest we have ever known a park though was Xmas Day 2006 at Magic Kingdom, WOW think the hole of Florida turned up that day. It rained most of the day too but nothing was going to stop anybodies enjoyment. [clap]

dodgey memory
16-01-2007, 20:34
Thanks Nigel for asking this as we are in the same situation and the replies have really put my mind at rest. Having only been to Florida at Easter and Christmas it sounds like it may actually be quieter in the summer! Teresa

JoRo
16-01-2007, 21:59
We went to Florida for years in August when our kids were at school and loved it. Ok it will be warmer than the spring but its just about organising your day! Go for it!
Joyce

16-01-2007, 23:31
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mizzy
if not august then wouldn't easter be a viable option, most schools have a two week break at easter time or how about christmas?

Mizzy
[/quote]

The trouble with Easter Mizzy is if you have children doing GCSE/AS/A Level that's prime time for revision as its just before the exams start, its another reason why we have postponed this years Easter trip as my daughter has her A Levels and her Theatre Studies Practical is on the day we were due to fly out[msnsad][msnwink]

I agree with earlier comments about late August, we have been in August about 10 times whilst our older children have been in Secondary school and it is much quieter[msnwink]

Easter is also busier than August I believe[msnwink]

Tracey K
16-01-2007, 23:48
We are getting used to travelling in August now our daughter is at school and I have to admit that, despite some reservations before we went, I have enjoyed the holidays more. We were expecting it to be very hot and very busy so we planned a much more relaxed vacation - we had lots of days by the pool and what I really loved were the long warm nights. You could easily go to the parks later in the afternoon and still spend 6 hours there yet you had alrteady had the benefit of a lazy morning by the pool.

stabard
16-01-2007, 23:59
We are in the same boat with a son starting his GCSE. We travelled in August last year and had a fab time. As Ceri said we went Wakeboarding, Baseball, a week at cocoa beach surfing and back in Kissimmee there was skateboarding in the great air con of Vans skate park. Weather was fantastic. We found the last two weeks of August were a lot quieter and the flights were cheaper.

Robert5988
17-01-2007, 00:02
Just an opposite view.

August is hot and humid and the parks are almost unbearable at times. Sure there are nice air-conditioned buildings and SHOPS; but whats the point in going to Florida to stay inside.

Different matter if you are to stay around a pool.

wrpac00
17-01-2007, 03:03
Have been in late July/August for the past 6 years. Personally we don't find the heat any more uncomfortable than anywhere in the med at that time of year.

Never really found it busy at that time of year (although can't compare it with other times of year) but we managed to do all the parks last summer in 4-5 hours with very little queueing, 20 mins at max but most of the time we walked straight on (we do get there when they open).

Kazzie
17-01-2007, 03:38
Yes it is very hot in Florida in August, but there are also advantages when visiting at this time of year. If you time it right, the US kids have gone back to school, hence the queues at the parks slow down. The parks seem to be much busier during the Easter holiday. Everywhere is air-conditioned anyway, whatever time of year, so that makes it very bearable. Being mid-summer you have more daylight hours. More daylight hours makes a big difference, get up early to visit the parks, go back to villa for chilling either indoors or in the pool. Then you can go back to the parks totally refreshed for the evening. I much prefer it when it doesnt get dark so early.

Karen

ShirleyD
17-01-2007, 14:32
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
Just an opposite view.

but whats the point in going to Florida to stay inside.

Different matter if you are to stay around a pool.
[/quote]

I would quite agree, but I think what most people mean is that you can get out of the heat into shops, pools, skateparks, Park rides etc and sleep air conditioned houses. When we have a heat wave in the UK, you can't cool down as easily and no one sleeps because most of us don't have air con. It is the same with many holiday destinations in Europe. They are certainly geared up for the weather in Florida