PDA

View Full Version : Shark Reef @ Typhoon Lagoon

AngelaB
08-01-2007, 20:57
Is the snorkeling equipment , ie: snorkel and mask, provided by or do you have to take your own??

Kazzie
08-01-2007, 20:59
It is provided for you Angela.

Karen

becbecs
08-01-2007, 21:07
Its all provided, plus if you fancy trying Scuba equipment they also provide this but you can only stay on the suface of the water.

Enjoy

AngelaB
08-01-2007, 21:14
thanks for that.....

is there an extra fee to pay to enter the reef?

Kazzie
08-01-2007, 21:37
No Angela, no extra fee[msnsmile]

Karen

becbecs
08-01-2007, 23:16
I believe that there may be a small charge if you do the Scuba Diving to compensate for the Air in the Tanks.. Can't remember how much.

But as said above the snorkelling is completley free.

The Water is rather Cold :D:D

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by AngelaB
thanks for that.....

is there an extra fee to pay to enter the reef?
[/quote]

vanessag
09-01-2007, 04:10
My 6 year old daughter and I did this last summer, she had never snorkelled before but insisted she wanted to do it! Be prepared for the cold salt water, it is a bit shocking! My Daughter did panic once we started swimming not sure if it was due to the cold or the sharks! You are told to raise your arm if there is a problem which I did, and within a second you have a lifeguard with you (there are loads of lifeguards in the water watching all the time), he aided my Daughter accross on a float and she loved it!! We are out again in March and she wants to do it again!

Jill
09-01-2007, 12:55
This is a great experience. My sister in law hates getting her face wet agreed to have a go. Although she was slightly worried at first the thrill of seeing the sea life below her was enough to get her through it. Later this month when they go on holiday to Cuba she is going to have a go at scuba diving - something she never thought she would do.

CarolAnn
09-01-2007, 13:45
Though a wonderful expereince Angela, please be prepared for a brief experience!! It can be a little bit production line at times. You can go through as many times as you like, worth it all[8D]

Sally D
09-01-2007, 14:49
2 of my girls love doing this. The first time they did it my youngest had to be helped out as she got into a bit of a panic but the following year she loved it so much she went 9 times in 1 day. I haven't managed to do it myself yet[msnsad]

CarolAnn
09-01-2007, 15:54
I know what you mean Sally[msnsmile2] Our daughter has been doing this swim for years, I wear contact lenses, so haven't ever tried it to be honest[msneek] I am told the water is nice and chilled though[msnwink]

Sally D
09-01-2007, 16:05
The thing is I actually want to do it[msnscared].

Have tried twice but I just can't get the hang of the snorkells. Eldest daughter could do it but only did it once. She got out saying yuk I hated it, all those fish and things near me.

ujpest doza
09-01-2007, 16:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by CarolAnn
I know what you mean Sally[msnsmile2] Our daughter has been doing this swim for years, I wear contact lenses, so haven't ever tried it to be honest[msneek] I am told the water is nice and chilled though[msnwink]
[/quote]

That is my problem also.
I usually wear my glasses for the water parks though, but obviously have to take them off for certain slides and the shark reef.

My eyesight isn't that bad in comparison to some people i work with (they say my prescription is almost 20:20, its not but compared to theres:D) but it still means i don't get the full experience as i can't see well enough.

The water is very cold (55F i believe) but you do get a wetsuit to protect your upper body from the cold. You are not allowed to swim either, you just have to sort of float across.

AngelaB
09-01-2007, 16:27
Thanks everyone....

We went to Discovery Cove last year, and never tried snorkelling before it was a fantastic experience and really enjoyed it.

Looking forward to the shark reef [msnsmile2]

jbrinkworth
09-01-2007, 17:37
I did this too the first time we went in 2003, I wore contact lenses then and had no problems at all. Since then however, I've had my eyes lasered so no problem at all now[msnsmile2]

Didn't do it in 2005 when we went because the queues were far too long and I decided I'd rather be laying in the sun than standing in a queue!

Going back in March this year though and will definately do it again as my 10 year old son is desperate to be able to go back to school and tell his mates he's swam with the sharks!

Julie B

vanessag
10-01-2007, 02:41
We were told not to kick our legs - I dont know if this is because it upsets the fish or makes them think your feet are food!! Didnt want to risk either!!