PDA

View Full Version : Step by step guide

kaybee
02-01-2007, 18:31
Hi everyone. This may seem a strange request to some of you, but i need some help. My husband suffers from severe anxiety and worries about doing things correctly. We have been to Florida once before (on a Virgin package, hotel etc), but are about to go again doing everything ourselves i.e. have hired a villa, car etc through this site. We had a car last time but picked it up from our hotel. This time we are picking our car up from MCO (have registered with Dollar Express). I would be really grateful if someone could give me a step by step guide to what will happen at the airport from when we arrive at the dollar express desk until we drive away from the airport. He knows what route he is going to take so no problems there. We also need a step by step guide to buying petrol. We managed to survive on one tank last time and didn't need to fill up. We are staying off Highway 27 north of the 192. I need to know a specific petrol station that we can go to and how to go about things when we get there. He has read accounts on here about possibly having to pay before you fill up and wants to go to a station where you pay afterwards. He also needs to know how the pump works and if it is different to UK. If you have read this far, thank you for your patience!

Carla
02-01-2007, 18:45
Hi Kaybee

Re picking the car up at the Dollar desk on the Ground floor of the terminals.

1. Wait in line until the next agent calls you forward.
2. Give agent your voucher, driving licenses (for all who intend to drive) and a credit card.
3. Agent will find your reservation, sort the paperwork and then ask each driver to sign for the rental car.
(3a. Agent may well ask you if you wish to upgrade to a better model. DON'T do this in the US. Make your decision before you go as it is cheaper!!!)
4. The Main Driver will also have to initial in several places to state that fuel and insurances are included in the voucher.
5. Agent will take note of your credit card details (this card will not be used unless you don't return the car or unless you damage it).
6. Agent will give you your copy of the paperwork and tell you to go out of the building, across the road, into the multistorey car park and turn right (I put left originally but that is wrong) to the Dollar Rental point on the ground floor.
7. Go to the Rental Desk and give the agent in there your paperwork.
8. Agent will give you the keys to your car and tell you which bay it is currently sitting in.
9. Locate the correct bay (eg: L25) and your car.
10. You can only get out of the bays in one direction, so you won't need to worry about exiting.
11. On exiting the Rental Bays follow all signs for South road number 417, which is the best route for you.

Don't be afraid to ask any of the agents if you need extra help as I have always found them to be very accomodating.

Have a great holiday.[msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

Re Driving Licenses: it is a good idea to have the paper copy as well as the plastic card. I very rarely ever get asked for the paper version, but that may be because they have me on file as a regular.

Carla
02-01-2007, 18:58
Re Gas Stations:

Almost all in the Orlando area require you to prepay. This is easy, so don't be intimidated by it. There are two ways of doing it:

1. Drive up to pump, switch off engine and then undo the fuel cap.
2. Put credit card in pump slot and remove quickly.
3. Some pumps require you to enter your post code, so if this one asks for a code then enter the post code for the billing adress of your credit card.
4. Push button to select grade of fuel - usually the lowest grade is fine.
5. Take nozzle for the grade that you selected, insert it into the fuel tank, squeeze nozzle and fill your tank.
6. Stop when you think you have enough or when the tank is full.
7. Replace cap and drive away.

Second way:

1. Drive up to pump, switch off engine and then go into the service area and prepay the cashier $5, $10, $15 or whatever you think that you need and tell him/her your pump number.
2. Return to car, undo petrol cap.
5. Take nozzle for the grade that you selected, insert it into the fuel tank, squeeze nozzle and fill your tank.
*6. Machine will stop and then go slowly when you have about 30 cents left on your prepay. Keep squeezing until you have your entire amount of prepaid fuel.
7. Replace cap and drive away.

* If you have paid more than the tank will hold then go into the service area and get your change from the attendant.

Again, never be afraid to ask for help.[msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

blott
02-01-2007, 20:20
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:5. Agent will take note of your credit card details (this card will not be used unless you don't return the car or unless you damage it).If you have ordered the Silver option, which doesn't include a tank of fuel, then your credit card will be charged with the cost of a tank of fuel.[/quote]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:1. Drive up to pump, switch off engine and then undo the fuel cap.
Choose whether to pay inside or outside by pushing the keys on the keypad on the pump. The screen display will change and tell you the next step
2. Put credit card in pump slot and remove quickly.
3. Some pumps require you to enter your post code, so if this one asks for a code then enter the post code for the billing adress of your credit card.
If it's a UK credit card, some garages don't accept these with UK post codes. Just go inside and they will swipe your credit card like a UK garage
Remove nozzle for the grade that you selected - sometimes you have to flip up the nozzle holder on the pump to start fuelling. If so, just remember to put it back down again or you won't be able to return the nozzle to the pump rest.
6. Stop when you think you have enough or when the tank is full.
The pump will probably ask you via the display if you want a receipt. Push the Yes or No button - it's always wise to get a receipt so that you can check your credit card statement when it arrives - the receipt will print out of the pump so just pull the bottom of the receipt to detach it
7. Replace cap and drive away.[/quote]

Is there any possibility that you could deal with refuelling the car whilst your husband sits inside and relaxes without having to worry about it?

LiesaAnna
02-01-2007, 21:13
Carla, you have explained all that so well, i hope its of great help for Karens husband, as im sure it will be
have a wonderful time Karen, nothing is ever to much trouble for the owners on this site [clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap]

kaybee
02-01-2007, 21:23
Hi Carla,
Thank you for your replies, they are really helpful. We would still like the name and location of a specific petrol station if anyone can help.

Blott,
It doesn't make any difference who puts the petrol in. If we don't know the exact way of doing things and i make a mistake it will still really upset him. His problems are quite severe and do tend to rule our lives. If it wasn't for the internet and this site in particular I doubt he would even have had the confidence to go abroad.

Thank you again,

Karen

Daglish
02-01-2007, 21:27
Karen

Could you let people know which community you are staying on and then somebody will probably be able to let you have directions to your nearest petrol station.

blott
02-01-2007, 21:35
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by kaybee
Hi Carla,
Thank you for your replies, they are really helpful. We would still like the name and location of a specific petrol station if anyone can help.

Blott,
It doesn't make any difference who puts the petrol in. If we don't know the exact way of doing things and i make a mistake it will still really upset him. His problems are quite severe and do tend to rule our lives. If it wasn't for the internet and this site in particular I doubt he would even have had the confidence to go abroad.

Thank you again,

Karen[/quote]Just a passing thought Karen.

Let's hope someone with a home on the 27 can come up with a specific garage and post the exact instructions that relate to that particular one for you.

kaybee
02-01-2007, 21:56
Hi again,

We're staying in Orange tree. Thank you for your replies and support so far.

Karen

Carla
02-01-2007, 22:00
Karen, I'm sure that an owner from that end of US27 will be along soon and will tell you the exact whereabouts of your nearest gas station.[msnsmile2]

If I remember correctly there is one on the north carriageway next to WalMart, but there may be a nearer one.

sunseeker
02-01-2007, 22:12
Hi Karen
when you leave the main terminal and cross the road the dollar desks are on your right and not on the left as carla has said, there is a desk designated for virgin holidays as you turn right and another desk further to the right for all other dollar customers. this is probably the desk that you want. its really easy, have a great time.

Dave

sunseeker
02-01-2007, 22:13
you beat me to it carla [msnwink][msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

Dave

chris c
02-01-2007, 23:32
Hello Kaybee.

If you go to yahoo maps and put in the address of the villa, you can then do a search for gas stations and they will be pinpointed on the map.

SandraBulmer
03-01-2007, 01:55
Hello Kaybee

Our home is on Orange Tree and there are a selection of gas stations on the western end of the 192 and on Hwy 27. Perhaps the most suitable one for you to use would be the BP station on the northbound carriageway of Hwy 27, about half a mile north after you exit the 192 and immediately after a Long John Silver/Taco Bell fast food outlet. The actual location is called Cagan's Crossing and there is a large Wal-Mart Supercentre located behind the gas station. I have only ever pre-paid at the pump so cannot comment on whether they operate any other system. Hope you have a lovely stay.

Sandra

kaybee
03-01-2007, 13:34
Hi all. Thank you for all your help. I will print off the replies and take them with us when we go. It makes all the difference to my husband if he knows what he is facing. Thank you again!

Karen

Nielsen
04-01-2007, 01:33
Karen

We also have a home on Orange Tree and Sandra is right there are a few petrol stations from you enter Hwy 27 going north towards Orange Tree and the BP is very easy to use.

There is also another gas station on Hwy 27 going south. So when you exit Orange Tree and turn left after approx 1.5 miles on your right there is another petrole sattion at that one I have used both my CC and prepaid exactly as Carla described above.

Have a gr8 trip.

TOM

Jules
04-01-2007, 03:05
Hi Karen,

We have a home on High Grove and always use the petrol station at Caggans Crossing by the Wal Mart. My husband always goes inside to pre pay and always pays too much so has to go back in for his change (he is very much a creature of habit!). The staff are used to UK visitors and are more than happy to explain how things work and give you your change if you over estimate the cost to fill up. Have a great holiday.