PDA

View Full Version : Best Holiday Keepsake/momento

MTP
30-08-2003, 04:02
We are waiting for our next trip to Florida, and in between trips there are various things that remind me of Florida and keep me going before we can go back there. I was driving the other day, during the hot weather, and I just got in to the car. When I turned on the AC I got that really strange sensation of hot weather and cold air on my arms. It just reminded me of Florida in a strange way, like when you get a scent, or something, and it triggers those holiday memories.

Anyway I thought it would be fun to remind ourselves of these kind of things - just to keep us all going till our next holidays.

The thing that we bought that I love are six mugs, these are from our first visit to WDW. They are all LARGE mugs, about double the size of UK mugs, two are Tinkerbell, two are painted with a wilderness seen (we were staying at WL) and two are Binford Tool mugs, that say Real Men Don't Read Instructions on the back.

So what keeps everyone elde going (apart from this forum)?

chrizzy100
30-08-2003, 05:08
quote:Originally posted by MTP

We are waiting for our next trip to Florida, and in between trips there are various things that remind me of Florida and keep me going before we can go back there. I was driving the other day, during the hot weather, and I just got in to the car. When I turned on the AC I got that really strange sensation of hot weather and cold air on my arms. It just reminded me of Florida in a strange way, like when you get a scent, or something, and it triggers those holiday memories.

Anyway I thought it would be fun to remind ourselves of these kind of things - just to keep us all going till our next holidays.

The thing that we bought that I love are six mugs, these are from our first visit to WDW. They are all LARGE mugs, about double the size of UK mugs, two are Tinkerbell, two are painted with a wilderness seen (we were staying at WL) and two are Binford Tool mugs, that say Real Men Don't Read Instructions on the back.

So what keeps everyone elde going (apart from this forum)?

I have the little metal figures of some of the rides in Disney....with mickey and crew in them.....

walking past Best Buy reminds me of the rides....it smells the same.....ok chrizzys odd......:D

fiona
30-08-2003, 05:58
I have fridge magnets from Disney and Universal, plus a few funnies from my favourite shops!

Best of all I have an enormous photo the gals gave me for my birthday a couple of years ago. Pips had taken a picture of Cabbage Keys - ostensibly looking tranquil and you could see a monster of a storm coming, they had it blown up and framed.

And sitting on my computer watching me are Cat in the Hat and The Grinch beanies, and 5 special edition Mickeys are on the windowsill.

caroline
30-08-2003, 12:55
Everytime we visit, I go to the Disney Christmas store and buy a bauble for the tree - we can never go to Florida at Christmas because of my husbands business - so that's always a nice reminder over Christmas.

We also have various Disney mugs and glasses that hubby and the kids use.

I also have all our villa photos saved on my computer (for updating adverts etc) and found that on my screensaver there is an option to do a slideshow of your pictures file - so now when I stop tapping on the keys for a minute up pop the photos :D I keep meaning to put a few Disney shots on but haven't got round to it yet!

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
30-08-2003, 13:23
When it came to getting a new car last year I had to get a Chrysler Voyager - the car we always drive when in Florida.

Now, every time we go out anywhere we are reminded of Florida :D.

Kissyme
30-08-2003, 13:47
Every time I smell coconut sun cream it instantly takes me back to Blizzard Beach, also I`ve got a picture of the boys with the Jaws shark by the PC

steph_goodrum
30-08-2003, 14:21
On our first trip to Florida - 8 years ago we went to Indian Rocks and I couldn't get over the vast selection of seashells and corals on the beach so collected a big bagful, took them back to the hotel and washed them thoroughly and (probably against every import regulation ) brought them home. I fixed a selection of them around a mirror for the bathroom and what wouldn't fit went into a basket for the windowsill, so every time I go into the bathroom I have a reminder.

sarahjk
30-08-2003, 16:44
That is really good idea and so unique as well we did similar we picked just a couple and a couple of small but nicely coloured stones but we were scared of being found out to pick more washed tham and when we got home we put them into the fish tank.
We also have pitures of the girls with characters that we framed and put up in our rogues gallery in the lounge and the picture of the family from the disney BBQ up. In the kitchen I have a postcard from Kennedy on my fridge door. Geez sounds like F is taking over my home could go on but I think I sound sad enough already[:I]

Sarah:D

blott
30-08-2003, 17:01
A couple of those hand drawn caricatures that you can get in some theme parks from 1995 are framed in our home in UK plus some huge pine cones on our mantlepiece (great weather predictors even though they're 9 years old now!), shells, photos of our home, etc.

In fact, almost every room in our home has some momento of Florida somewhere in it so we're constantly reminded of our home and of happy times spent there and in Florida.

chrisj
30-08-2003, 17:26
In 1988 we spent our honeymoon on Treasure Island. I was heavily into photography then and we have
10 framed 20x15 photos of a thunderstorm coming over the Gulf Coast. They are (in my opinion) fantastic
pictures.

I have them at the moment hanging up in the garage, we decorated and as usual I havent finished. But
when I go and sit there for my smoke the pictures bring back some fantastic memories. All our friends
remark on them, so they must be good

We also went to the Florida mall and we got an onyx egg on a gold stand. Never seen them before
or since, I put one of those little candles behind it, and light is thrown out all over the
room.

steph_goodrum
30-08-2003, 18:17
Our 2 huge pine cones we got from the Toys R us car park come out at Christmas time and hang in the hallway.

sammibabe
30-08-2003, 22:42
We went to KSC las time and had one of those computer pictures of the children and it looks like they're floating in the shuttle and i forced hubby to have one done (I think IOA but can't be sure) as Bruce Lee - family's into Tae Kwon Do! No ornaments out at the moment (move, won't be completely unpacked for a while) this site is THE thing that keeps me going especially as we cannot return until 2005. It seems such a long way away.:(

mikewj
31-08-2003, 19:26
Must admit to having a thing for Disney's limited edition pocket watches. I have 4 and tend to pick one up every trip....although they dont seem to bring new ones out every year.

They fit in nicely with our collection of Disney Steiffs and remind us of Florida whenever we look at them.

Ruth
31-08-2003, 20:18
quote:Originally posted by mikewj
They fit in nicely with our collection of Disney Steiffs and remind us of Florida whenever we look at them.

I collect bears but have not seen these. Where do you get the Disney Steiffs?

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
31-08-2003, 20:42
Dave's not a part time Santa is he Caroline :D:D:D

quote:Originally posted by caroline

we can never go to Florida at Christmas because of my husbands business

caroline
31-08-2003, 22:06
LOL:D:D:D

HO HO HO !! Sussed! But ssshhhh don't tell the children!

fiona
31-08-2003, 22:07
I forgot to say we have a room full of winnie the pooh beanies, which someone has decided she is too grown up to have on display any more (:() but she can't bear to part with them!

She also has the Steiff W-T-P collection and we have many other Steiff bears - coloured ones, as I decided to be eclectic!!

mikewj
02-09-2003, 19:13
Hi Ruth,

the Disney Steiffs come from either a shop in Chester called Harlequin Collectables or a place in the Trafford Centre in Manchester called Dollies Beargere.

Steiff do a series of Classic Disney characters with a couple of new "bears" released each year and completed a Winnie The Pooh collection last year.

Hope this helps.

fiona
02-09-2003, 20:29
We buy from Teddy Bears of Witney

http://www.teddybears.co.uk/maker.lasso?title=About%20Steiff&maker=1&-session=teddybears_usr:D2C67BB20D236860215B858B6CC FB51B&menu=5

They are very helpful and nothing is too much trouble.

Ruth
03-09-2003, 00:28
Thanks Mike and Fiona, that is fantastic:D

mikewj
03-09-2003, 00:42
Here are the web sites for the shops we use :

Harlequin in Chester:

http://buydollsandbears.com

Dollies Beargere in the Trafford Centre :

http://www.dolliesbear-gere.com

Hope that they're of use.

Ruth
03-09-2003, 03:35
Gosh, those sites are great, now I am tempted[:p]Pity it is so long until my birthday, it is so hard to justify buying them for myself[:I]

coombsyl
26-09-2003, 14:11
Some of the nicest keepsakes we have bought have been personalised Chrismas tree decorations for ourselves and family from DTD. It is lovely to see decorations on their trees with their names and the year we bought them.:)