PDA

View Full Version : Dollar or Alamo?

dawn
27-12-2006, 13:47
Am looking to book a 7 seater for our trip in February, and notice Alamo and Dollar are the same price. As there will only be 2 drivers am not bothered about the unlimited drivers, but wondered if anyone had any views on which company had better vehicles/service/convenient location etc - any views?

pieman790
27-12-2006, 14:37
if you are picking up from MCO airport then Alamo normally allow you to choose your vehicle.
On the other hand if you are not bothered about what you get you could save time in the queue and use Dollar express .

ShirleyD
27-12-2006, 15:50
Ditto to what neil and Cathy say, we like to choose our own! Although with Alamo you don't have to queue again in the carpark to be alocated the car, though never had to wait too long here with Dollar

blott
27-12-2006, 17:18
We've tried most car rental companies over the years and, in our opinion, Dollar tend to have better/newer cars. The one I picked up two weeks ago had only 4 miles on the clock and, if you go for Dollar Express, there are no lines at the desks!

Mo Green
27-12-2006, 17:44
Over the years have come to the same conclusion as Blott. Also we normally fly into Tampa where Dollar is at the Airport whereas Alamo involves a courtesy bus to the off-site collection Point.

Katys Grandad
27-12-2006, 18:04
Dollar - purely because the deal through this site always seems a bit better than Alamo. As far as cars and service goes, I've had good and not so good from most of the major rental companies.

roger
27-12-2006, 18:07
We receive similar positive feedback from clients for Dollar and Alamo, so not much in it either way.

One thing to note on the price - Dollar's Gold prices went up just over a week ago making Dollar and Alamo similar in price (Dollar are traditionally cheaper in Florida than Alamo). Alamo's prices are due to go up in the next few days, then will be more expensive than Dollar again. As usual, we try to keep price increases to an absolute minumum, but have no prior warning as to exact date and amount.

abbeyvillas
27-12-2006, 18:33
I'd agree with Blott & Mo -Dollar do seem to use more new /low mileage cars than Alamo.
Jeanette

Fourdents
28-12-2006, 04:44
I picked up my Dollar hire car last week and it had less than 150 miles on the clock.

Dollar is so easy no hassle and so far I have not had to wait long and been away on the road within an hour of landing.

Doc
28-12-2006, 12:34
The only time we rented with Dollar we got a Caravan that had been around the blocks a few times...

Rented with Alamo a couple of months ago and booked a Chrysler Crossfire convertible - which was fantastic and only had 10 miles on the clock..[msncool]

dawn
28-12-2006, 12:45
Thanks all. Decided to go with Dollar as we have Dollar Express. It looks like they are both equaully good companies[msnsmile]

chrizzy100
28-12-2006, 17:56
I've used every car hire company in FL tons of times now...and I've found Alamo the best...

Rachel Heath
01-01-2007, 13:03
<span style="font-family:Arial"></span id="Arial">
We used Alamo for our car hire and found they were OK. Then we discovered National, a subsidiary of Alamo, service and quality as good as Alamo, but slightly cheaper.
Rachel Heath

roger
01-01-2007, 13:47
Yes, National are slightly cheaer than Alamo (if you book direct). Booking via an agent, the price is the same for either but still cheaper than booking either direct. National and Alamo are one of the same. In some locations there is just one combined depot, in other locations there are still 2 distinct depots. It's a bit like the Dollar and Thrifty ownership.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Rachel Heath
<span style="font-family:Arial"></span id="Arial">
We used Alamo for our car hire and found they were OK. Then we discovered National, a subsidiary of Alamo, service and quality as good as Alamo, but slightly cheaper.
Rachel Heath

[/quote]