PDA

View Full Version : I want that house

Derek
29-08-2003, 11:31
ITV last night.......The featured couple settled on a 5 bed at Hampton Lakes but every time i watch the programme i can't help feeling that if it was me then i would want to see more than three villas....The buyers always seem pushed into the sale rather than think it through. I realise that the programme is made to work that way but if it was my £150k i would want a few more options......although having said that the villa they bought was lovely.

chris
29-08-2003, 13:05
I felt the programme didnt emphasise how difficult it is to make a rental property 'work' for you. I think they were right to choose the 5 bed but I honestly cant see them making enough money to sell it and be able to buy their dream retirement home.
Also they had ideas of what they wanted in terms of aspect and they bought one backing onto other houses!
IMHO all 5 bed homes in Orlando are absolutely fantastic so they should have gone round more communities and looked at different models of the same size to choose what they really wanted in a location they loved.

chrisj
29-08-2003, 13:39
I thought the same actually,

Compared to where I live the houses there are really cheap.

However; at the end of the day if I was going to pay £150K I would have
looked at more house types and more communities

Chris7
29-08-2003, 13:47
"Compared to where I live the houses there are really cheap." - that's the problem. In the UK property is so expensive that everywhere else property looks like a real bargin. A Villa which costs £150K in the US is about £12K in parts of Bulgaria. People always think they have spotted a bargain that everyone else has missed. Caveat Emptor !

chrizzy100
29-08-2003, 19:27
quote:Originally posted by Derek

ITV last night.......The featured couple settled on a 5 bed at Hampton Lakes but every time i watch the programme i can't help feeling that if it was me then i would want to see more than three villas....The buyers always seem pushed into the sale rather than think it through. I realise that the programme is made to work that way but if it was my £150k i would want a few more options......although having said that the villa they bought was lovely.

I knew from the plans what house I liked........but I still looked around before going to see that Villa.........we had sort of made our minds up on a house somewhere else....cost had a lot to do with that it was very cheap for the size.... but it was too large for the plot....so we had to choose between the two smaller ones......but after hours looking at extras..adding $20k to the cost...and not agreeing on which house we wanted....we just popped into the house we liked by the plans.....to make sure we were really happy with one of the other houses.......when I walked in the door I knew that was this one.......and when I found out it needed no extras....the builder was paying most of our closing costs and the realtor...I loved it even more.......:D

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
29-08-2003, 20:31
We are guilty of buying the first house we saw I am afraid [:I]

We just loved the location (Crescent Lakes) and the house style and layout. We did come back to the UK after seeing it and think it over for a few weeks before we comitted to it.

Two and a bit years on and we are still very confident we made the right descision - we just LOVE our house and are very proud of it :D.

chrizzy100
29-08-2003, 22:04
quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk

We are guilty of buying the first house we saw I am afraid [:I]

We just loved the location (Crescent Lakes) and the house style and layout. We did come back to the UK after seeing it and think it over for a few weeks before we comitted to it.

Two and a bit years on and we are still very confident we made the right descision - we just LOVE our house and are very proud of it :D.

We did that with the house we live in now....it was the first house we saw.....

The realtor in Orlando sent us the plans after I told her what I wanted....but I'm glad I looked around first......but real glad I saw the Villa she sent.....I just love the place already.....and its not even finished yet.....heheehe

Harmony
30-08-2003, 17:29
Harmony was the first and only villa I looked at. Dallas did not even see it and relyed on my judgement. Luckily when she did see it she too fell in love with it and we have never regreted our chose. As you say John Crescent Lakes is great area and getting even better.

Jeff

Derek
02-09-2003, 23:21
Oh boy..this program really winds me up......

Just watched a mother and daughter trying to choose a villa in Naples....They didn't like villa number two because the pool area was overlooked by the villas on the other side of the lake !!!

blott
03-09-2003, 02:23
I can beat all of you as we didn't see our home (or lot) until it was built, nine months after we'd paid our deposit. The floor plan was faxed to us and we chose our kitchen and flooring, etc from photos Fed-Ex'd to us.

We drove straight past it on our first visit (because we thought they'd got the numbers wrong) as it looked so good!

We'd looked at loads of communities and we knew we wanted our home to be in Crescent Lakes but unfortunately had to leave before we could fix anything up.

This isn't a purchase method I'd recommend to anyone BTW...