PDA

View Full Version : Looking to move permenantly

BMG
27-08-2003, 19:38
Hi there, my wife and I are new to this and hardly know anything about what is involved moving to the US. I am an IT professional with 5 years experience in application and web development and my wife is an administrator in digital media services. We want to move to the US and carry on in our chosen professions but from what I have read on this forum we would need to invest $100K into a business, open a new business or be sponsored by a UK business. We fall into none of these categories as far as I know. The closest could possibly be that I work for the Acxiom corporation that has offices all over the US and also all over the world. Does anyone know what our best route into the US would be? We are still reletivley young at 28 and 24 and feel now is the right time to make a fresh start in the sunshine but we did not comprehend such difficuties obtaining a visa. If anyone has any advice at all that they might offer please advise us.

Many thanks in advance to those who reply.

Chris7
27-08-2003, 19:56
If the company you work for has offices in the US, the first thing to find out is if your employers would be prepared to move you to the US on a fixed term contract (I believe it is much easier once you have been in country for a while to apply for leave to remain).

I only have experience of it in reverse (we took someone from the US who now has British Residency), but we did have to justify why a UK person couldn't do that job. I guess it would be the same for your employers, and there are likely to be a fist full of IT people in the US

chrizzy100
27-08-2003, 22:25
quote:Originally posted by BMG

Hi there, my wife and I are new to this and hardly know anything about what is involved moving to the US. I am an IT professional with 5 years experience in application and web development and my wife is an administrator in digital media services. We want to move to the US and carry on in our chosen professions but from what I have read on this forum we would need to invest $100K into a business, open a new business or be sponsored by a UK business. We fall into none of these categories as far as I know. The closest could possibly be that I work for the Acxiom corporation that has offices all over the US and also all over the world. Does anyone know what our best route into the US would be? We are still reletivley young at 28 and 24 and feel now is the right time to make a fresh start in the sunshine but we did not comprehend such difficuties obtaining a visa. If anyone has any advice at all that they might offer please advise us.

IT's in a real mess in the USA right now....mostly the telcoms side.....hundreds of thousands of Americans have been layed off over the last few years.....you'll need a degree in your field of work..or 12 years working at your job....say as a Test Engineer etc....you'll have to find a company somewhere in the USA willing to give you a chance.....they'll have to prove they can't get anyone in the USA to do the kind of work you do....we started by putting out a CV on the internet...but ended up getting a job offer because of a friend who'd moved over to the USA the year before.....my husband would like to find work in FL now....but companies really want you to live in the area before they'll even look at you......and we only have to move down from Mass....not from across the pond.......with so many Americans and people with greencards out of work in IT you're going to have your work cut out getting over here unless you can buy a business.....or unless you are a top man or woman at your job.....with tons of experience.....but if you work at it....it'll happen...we never thought we would get over here......but we are.....it takes time....money and lots of luck......

chrizzy100
27-08-2003, 22:56

You may find this link interesting.....

http://www.britishinamerica.com/employment.html

chrizzy100
27-08-2003, 23:42

http://www.outbound-newspapers.com/

This was a great paper..it give us tons of info when we were going to move to Canada...

Sheila Fresco
06-09-2003, 18:27
Hi everyone,

Reading the postings here i am quite depressed. We too are in the stages of planning a new life in Florida - only problem we have is my husband is semi retired, i am employed as a secretary and we have a 15 year old son who will leave school next year. I am terrified to apply for any sort of visa with the embassy in London until i know which is the best one to apply for. Is the only one in to buy a business???? my husband has two relatives living in California, a cousin married to an american and a nephew. Could they help us?? Your advise would be greatly appreciated.

chrizzy100
06-09-2003, 19:26
quote:Originally posted by Sheila Fresco

Hi everyone,

Reading the postings here i am quite depressed. We too are in the stages of planning a new life in Florida - only problem we have is my husband is semi retired, i am employed as a secretary and we have a 15 year old son who will leave school next year. I am terrified to apply for any sort of visa with the embassy in London until i know which is the best one to apply for. Is the only one in to buy a business???? my husband has two relatives living in California, a cousin married to an american and a nephew. Could they help us?? Your advise would be greatly appreciated.

Your husbands semi retired from what kind of job....would he go back to work full time in the USA if he found work there....I don't think you'll get a visa as a secretary....a brother/sister or parent can help with a visa sometimes....

blott
07-09-2003, 02:49
Hi Sheila

Mmmm, from your circumstances, it does look as if your only option would be to purchase a business in Florida and apply for an E2 visa. Unfortunately, only direct relatives can help, as Chrizzy has said, and not cousins, etc. With current regulations your son won't be able to work in Florida and can only stay until he's 21 if he's in full time education, ie college/university.

It seems like your best plan would be to look at the US official website which explains the requirements for an E2 visa. This is at http://www.travel.state.gov/visa;treatytraders.html

esprit
07-09-2003, 07:55
On a business visa, your son will be able to stay with you until he is 21 but will not be allowed to work. The only option would be for him to stay on at school ( they dont graduate until 18 in the US so he would have to carry on at school anyway) and then go on to college and get a graduate job which would lead to H1B and green card. We took a 17 year old with us when we moved over a couple of months ago. It seems to be working out OK. There is no such thing as retirement or semu retirement on a business visa in Florida, believe you me. We have never worked so hard as we do now.

chrizzy100
07-09-2003, 19:21
quote:Originally posted by esprit

On a business visa, your son will be able to stay with you until he is 21 but will not be allowed to work. The only option would be for him to stay on at school ( they dont graduate until 18 in the US so he would have to carry on at school anyway) and then go on to college and get a graduate job which would lead to H1B and green card. We took a 17 year old with us when we moved over a couple of months ago. It seems to be working out OK. There is no such thing as retirement or semu retirement on a business visa in Florida, believe you me. We have never worked so hard as we do now.

Hope everythings going well.....:D

MTP
08-09-2003, 03:24
If you are at all seriously thinking about this then I would recommend a meeting with a good immigration lawyer. Last year I met with an immigration lawyer and a para-legal from an immigration company in London, Aileen did a little research and primarily choose them from the Going USA paper. I recorded both the meetings. The one with the lawyer was charged as per his rate and the initial meeting with the para-legal was free. In fairness Aileen had already had an extensive conversation with the lawyer and I had a couple of follow up phone calls.

We also bought a vide through the Going USA paper called the Migrant Story (?) which is a little rough, but well worth watching.

For those that have seen previous postings i am still in a state of flux. I am trying to get round to finishing my application to the new England College. I guess we will know in time. Good luck to all of you that this is a dream for.

==================================================

Apologies:

Chrizzy 100 has posted a link to Outboung Publishing, who do the Going USA paper and the video is The Migrant Experience.

Perhaps I should read things more carefully!!

Sheila Fresco
08-09-2003, 16:19
Hi Everyone, thanks for all the replies, i am a complete newby to this board and the visa situation. My husband was a successful sports photographer before semi retiring and still does the odd job, it does seem that the only route to go down is to buy a business. With so many people wanting to move over there, are genuine businesses few and far between, or is it still possible to do that?
Regarding my son its a tough one, he doesn't know what he wants to do after leaving school so we cant enrol him in a college until he settles on something.
I would appreciate any recommendations of companies that can help with the visa minefield, or is it not allowed on this board?
thanks again

esprit
08-09-2003, 18:52
My attorney was Lesley Sillito at www.investorvisausa.com She is brilliant at E2 business visa, a bit of a stickler but she has a very high percentage success rate. Good businesses? Well I know of people who have found these but they usually come via word of mouth rather than through the business listings, which are often for sale for a reason. I also know of people who bought bad businesses. My business is not bad as such but we suffered from a difficulty in getting the necessary insurances because the law had changed regarding this since my vendor bought. When I tackled my business broker about why I had not been warned about this, he said he had no idea there was a problem and had thought it would cost us a few bucks ( it ended up nearer $20,000!!!) So dont necessarily think that these business brokers know anything at all except how to earn their 10%, mine also excluded any liability for himself or his advice in the contract!!

Chris7
08-09-2003, 20:43
Hi Sheila,

I'm no expert in this area, but I seem to remember reading somewhere about special rules for "literary and creative" types. I'm not sure if a "sports photographer" falls into this, but it might be worth some further investigation.

chrizzy100
08-09-2003, 21:04
quote:Originally posted by Chris7

Hi Sheila,

I'm no expert in this area, but I seem to remember reading somewhere about special rules for "literary and creative" types. I'm not sure if a "sports photographer" falls into this, but it might be worth some further investigation.

Like artists and actors..!!..its worth a look....its in one of the links here somewhere......

Chris7
09-09-2003, 01:55
"its in one of the links here somewhere" - yes I couldn't find it either, but it is here somewhere;)

Ruth
09-09-2003, 02:29
My business is not bad as such but we suffered from a difficulty in getting the necessary insurances because the law had changed regarding this since my vendor bought. When I tackled my business broker about why I had not been warned about this, he said he had no idea there was a problem and had thought it would cost us a few bucks ( it ended up nearer $20,000!!!) So dont necessarily think that these business brokers know anything at all except how to earn their 10%, mine also excluded any liability for himself or his advice in the contract!!

Isn't that just typical, you pay them good money for advice then due to their clever contract have no comeback when their advice is incorrect[}:)][xx(]

Sheila Fresco
10-09-2003, 23:42
Hi everyone,

many thanks to those who offered advice etc. Perhaps my husband being a photographer (honoured by the queen no less for his services - M.B.E) may help us obtain a visa. The whole idea of buying a business just to be able to stay there scares me so much - what a minefield.
If anyone knows of a company over here in the U.K. that deals with immigration visa's could u let me know (thanks to Julie for passing on that website - i will check it out).
Am i right in thinking that the very first thing to do is apply for the all important visa ? If we were to go over on a tourist visa how long would we be allowed to stay? what of those Brits that simply retire in Florida? i wonder which visa they need. Have invested in a couple of books on this subject, as a complete novice i need to do some homework. Tell me people that there is hope !!!!!!!

Sheila

Chris7
11-09-2003, 01:16
I don't think any brits do just "retire" to florida. It's one of those urban myths. I would think your best bet is to discuss a visa application with someone who knows the process inside out. You can go for 90 days on the visa waiver scheme, or I think 6 months on a tourist visa, but I wouldn't think it a good idea to go under either of these and try and get it changed. They aren't likely to believe you decided to stay on the spur of the moment and the process takes so long that you'd have to return to the UK to wait

dhussey2
20-09-2003, 02:32
HI Sheila,

I've been reading these posts and I can't believe how hard it is to get a Visa to the United States!

One thing I wanted to tell you is, that I don't know if it's different coming into the US, but US kids do not need to know what they are going to college for. Most go in as undeclared majors and don't make up their minds what they want for a year or two, sometimes more. There are always the core classes that need to be taken for any degree and that usually takes a year or two before going on to specialized classes. College applications ask for majors, but you can always put undeclared down. Also, students who go in under certain majors, for instance psychology, can always change their majors later. So, he wouldn't have to stick with the one he chooses. There's plenty of room for movement in American colleges and Universities.

Hope this helps.

Dianne[:I]

fiona
20-09-2003, 04:19
Dianne it's not hard from lots of countries, it's just hard from Great Britain - England, Scotland and Wales - because if you are Irish you are allowed to apply for the green card lottery.

The US has more than it's quote of people from GB and don't want any more. Special relationship or no special relationship. Our dollars are very handy that we spend on buying vacation homes etc. but they don't want us living there permanently (unless you are a millionaire of course!). We either have to accept that or buy somewhere else where we are more welcome.

chrizzy100
20-09-2003, 06:50
quote:Originally posted by fiona

Dianne it's not hard from lots of countries, it's just hard from Great Britain - England, Scotland and Wales - because if you are Irish you are allowed to apply for the green card lottery.

The US has more than it's quote of people from GB and don't want any more. Special relationship or no special relationship. Our dollars are very handy that we spend on buying vacation homes etc. but they don't want us living there permanently (unless you are a millionaire of course!). We either have to accept that or buy somewhere else where we are more welcome.

around fifty thousand people make their way to the USA on a visa of some sort from the UK....the green card lottery is for countries with people who would find it hard to get here because of poor education etc.....if you have a plan when you're young to move to the USA ...you could get here at age 25+....a good collage degree's a start....if you miss that boat then years of hard work in the UK gets you here in the end if you work in a field needed in the US....thats the road we took....the USA is not all milk and honey...the Americans work very hard long hours to keep their way of life.....no paid leave in some jobs....no healthcare.....min wages......it was a shock to us to go from 8 weeks paid leave down to four....and we get more than most people the norm seems to be 10 days.....

MTP
20-09-2003, 11:09
Is it not becoming more common for some workers to "buy" extra days holiday each year. The holidays is one of the issues we have when we are considering moving to the States, although I would hope to work in a self-employed capacity to some extent, so I would imagine that it would also be dictated by my own desires.

fiona
20-09-2003, 13:42
Chrizzy where did you work to get 8 weeks holiday a year? Unless you are teachers, lecturers etc who get the school or university / college holidays everyone else gets 4 (or at best 5) weeks. In our case it is 17 days, plus you have to keep the other 3 to contribute to the Christmas shutdown. After 5 years you get 20 + the shutdown, and after 10 years service 23 + shutdown. When I worked at the BBC I had 5 weeks but was far to busy to take more that 3 weeks of it a year!!

chrizzy100
20-09-2003, 20:07

Chrizzy where did you work to get 8 weeks holiday a year? Unless you are teachers, lecturers etc who get the school or university / college holidays everyone else gets 4 (or at best 5) weeks. In our case it is 17 days, plus you have to keep the other 3 to contribute to the Christmas shutdown. After 5 years you get 20 + the shutdown, and after 10 years service 23 + shutdown. When I worked at the BBC I had 5 weeks but was far to busy to take more that 3 weeks of it a year!!

My hubby worked for for the same company for 13 years plus..he just told me I was wrong that he got around 6 weeks.....the other weeks were his sick time which he used up as hoilday......I got so used to him taking the whole time off as holiday...I forgot the other weeks were sicktime....:D

chrizzy100
20-09-2003, 20:16
quote:Originally posted by MTP

Is it not becoming more common for some workers to "buy" extra days holiday each year. The holidays is one of the issues we have when we are considering moving to the States, although I would hope to work in a self-employed capacity to some extent, so I would imagine that it would also be dictated by my own desires.

he now gets around 4 and a half weeks...+ snowdays if needed.....+ july 4...thanksgiving etc....when we first moved here his company give people every hoilday day off...now he gets 7....

esprit
21-09-2003, 08:58
The words self ewmployed and holidays dont go together in Florida!!!!! Most of the people here on E2 work 24/7 with just a few days off a year. You cannot just go away on holiday and leave a business and most businesses here are on 24 hour call out. I have never worked so hard in my life as I have since I moved here. We do 12 hour days, sometimes more, we just never stop. If holidays are an issue to you, dont move here on a business visa. Retiring here isnt an option as the law stands at the moment and running a business here isn't retirement, or anywhere near it.

chrizzy100
21-09-2003, 18:59

The words self ewmployed and holidays dont go together in Florida!!!!! Most of the people here on E2 work 24/7 with just a few days off a year. You cannot just go away on holiday and leave a business and most businesses here are on 24 hour call out. I have never worked so hard in my life as I have since I moved here. We do 12 hour days, sometimes more, we just never stop. If holidays are an issue to you, dont move here on a business visa. Retiring here isnt an option as the law stands at the moment and running a business here isn't retirement, or anywhere near it.

After a while can't you get a manger in...?? if you keep on at that rate...you'll end up ill.....:(

Chris7
21-09-2003, 21:18
Chrizzy, there's a very funny advert over here (which you won't have seen being in the US). It's for Kit Kat (a chocolate biscuit bar) which has the tag line "Have a Break - Have a Kit Kat"

It's about a Mexican fisherman who catches fish in the morning and in the afternoon swims in the sea, plays with the kids etc.

One day he is selling fish to an American who says "what you should do is borrow some money, buy some more boats, and get others to fish for you. If you're lucky you could open resteraunts all over the coast. If you work hard, in a few years you could bring someone in to run it for you. Then you could perhaps just work mornings, and in the afternoon, you could swim in the sea, play with the kids......."

I bet they don't show that advert in the US;)

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
21-09-2003, 22:35
LOL Chris7 :D

florida4sun
22-09-2003, 07:11
I think you have the wrong idea of the gren card lottery. the idea of it is too attract a diversity of applicats from countruies who do not have much movement of people into the USA.
If the number of Uk folks per dropped under 50000 they would open the lottery up again for the england.
You can get here but have to have a sound business to do so. One thing I have found out here is there is no way on earth I would work for an employer over here. But then again I had the same feeling in the Uk.
I think the major hurdle most people have is wanting to retire here. The cost of medical care would make this pointless for 99% of us.
Only last week we spent over $400 on stuff for diabetes that is not covered by our insurance (we have some of the best coverage going).
3 weeks ago we had a guest who used the emergency room one night. Ended up with a course of antiotics. The evening cost them around $2500. Including a fee of $350 for the seat space he used during extended hours!!! He should get most of it back via insurance.
If you work for someone who gioves you insurance benefits and then claim on that insurance. It makes it nearly impossible to get insurance if you leave that job, as pre exisiting conditions are a no go.
The grand total of Alex's operation $35000.00 (yes thirty five thousand). Luckily we were covered in this.
More than once we have had freinds and neighbours call us for an ambulance trip, as most insurances do not cover this and it is very expensive.
For anyone considering moving here I would find out a good company in the UK who will let you transfer coverage to the USA. If you have pre existing conditions be very careful.

Martin

The US has more than it's quote of people from GB and don't want any more. Special relationship or no special relationship. Our dollars are very handy that we spend on buying vacation homes etc. but they don't want us living there permanently (unless you
are a millionaire of course!). We either have to accept that or buy somewhere else where we are more welcome.

Chris7
22-09-2003, 18:12
I don't suppose any insurers have thought of this, but really insurance for brits should be cheaper than native Americans. After all, once a condition has been stabalized, the patient can be put on BA and sent back to the UK for treatment:D

chrizzy100
22-09-2003, 18:46
quote:Originally posted by Chris7

Chrizzy, there's a very funny advert over here (which you won't have seen being in the US). It's for Kit Kat (a chocolate biscuit bar) which has the tag line "Have a Break - Have a Kit Kat"

It's about a Mexican fisherman who catches fish in the morning and in the afternoon swims in the sea, plays with the kids etc.

One day he is selling fish to an American who says "what you should do is borrow some money, buy some more boats, and get others to fish for you. If you're lucky you could open resteraunts all over the coast. If you work hard, in a few years you could bring someone in to run it for you. Then you could perhaps just work mornings, and in the afternoon, you could swim in the sea, play with the kids......."

I bet they don't show that advert in the US;)

That is very true.....

blott
22-09-2003, 21:09
Not if they're living in USA Chris7 they can't! NHS free treatment is based on residency so, if you're not living in the UK, then you're not necessarily entitled to free NHS treatment unless you are returning to live here permanently!

Anyone can, however, get free NHS treatment in an Accident & Emergency Department if you are taken ill in the UK but, if you are admitted for instance, then if you live in USA you'll probably be asked to pay.

chrizzy100
22-09-2003, 21:32
quote:Originally posted by blott

Not if they're living in USA Chris7 they can't! NHS free treatment is based on residency so, if you're not living in the UK, then you're not necessarily entitled to free NHS treatment unless you are returning to live here permanently!

Anyone can, however, get free NHS treatment in an Accident & Emergency Department if you are taken ill in the UK but, if you are admitted for instance, then if you live in USA you'll probably be asked to pay.

We have had people staying with us in England from the USA who have had free healthcare.....did that change....??

Chris7
22-09-2003, 22:31
"Not if they're living in USA Chris7 they can't" - that would be right. We pay our NI all your working life, and if you are able to retire abroad they cut off your access to health care.

Meanwhile one of the hospitals in Bristol (I think) recently said that over 50% of it's AIDS treatment was going to visitors from abroad, and this was causing a cash crisis as they didn't receive funding.

Makes you glad to be British:(

blott
22-09-2003, 22:45
Chrizzy, those have been the regulations since about 1980 or thereabouts so, unless they were only treated in A & E... perhaps I should have said 'you should have been asked to pay' instead?

Chris7, I know, it applies to me too, even after 30+ years working in the NHS!

Chris7
22-09-2003, 23:46
Blott - is that just a US thing. How do you stand if you retire to spain?

I suppose if you had a condition that would cost too much to treat overseas, you could retrun to the UK (as it would be your only realistic option) and then qualify for treatment again??

chrizzy100
22-09-2003, 23:59
quote:Originally posted by blott

Chrizzy, those have been the regulations since about 1980 or thereabouts so, unless they were only treated in A & E... perhaps I should have said 'you should have been asked to pay' instead?

Chris7, I know, it applies to me too, even after 30+ years working in the NHS!

I've seen a few shows over here where Americans have said what good care they had in the UK without paying....maybe that was in A&E....we had people over way before 1980...

blott
23-09-2003, 02:25
Chris7, it doesn't matter which country you live in, free NHS treatment only applies if you live permanently in the UK. You actually only qualify for free treatment again if you are going to reside permanently in the UK again, the need for the treatment arose whilst you were in the UK (ie you didn't get ill somewhere else!) and you haven't left the UK more than ten years previously.

Chris7
23-09-2003, 03:14
Oh Bum! - Well my vote goes for s****ping it now and lets all take out private health cover. If the system takes no account of a life time of contributions, I see no reason why I should pay to provide healthcare for the flood of imigrants who flock to these shores:(

If the US/Canada & others would take some of the UK population who want to move out, it would make more room for those trying to get in;)

blott
23-09-2003, 03:28
That'd be fine as long as everyone is able to afford private healthcare but, from reading how much this costs in USA earlier on this thread, I doubt it somehow! Approximately 30% of the US population do not have any form of healthcare insurance as they simply can't afford it.

The fact that the majority of UK residents could not afford private healthcare in 1948 was really the reason the NHS to be set up in the first place and we're one of the lucky few countries to have such a system! Prior to that, you had to pay to visit the doctor and, if you couldn't afford it, then you didn't get any treatment. I know my grandfather belonged to a scheme whereby he paid a subscription per week to be claimed upon if any of his family required treatment but not everyone was able to do that, particularly if they were unemployed, sick, disabled, old, etc, etc. I'm not sure that's a situation that many would like to return to somehow?

Chris7
24-09-2003, 23:38
As I have a reputation to consider the word was (s c r a p p i n g) - I wasn't serious, the NHS is the envy of the world, but it needs a radical overhaul, not just the tinkering at the edges.

People don't value anything they don't have to pay for (at the point of delivery). In Leeds, 25% of doctor & hospital appointments aren't kept - When I rule the world, anyone who misses an appointment and doesn't call before hand to reschedule won't get treated;)

When I recently had to take my daughter in to A&E (compound break) I couldn't believe the posters saying "violence and abuse to the medical staff will not be tolerated" - It beggers belief that we live in a world where people would abuse others who are trying to help them (and they also wouldn't get treated).

I'll have to stop now I'm turning into Victor Meldrew:(

PaulaK
08-10-2003, 02:09
Hi Everyone

I too am new at this forum. My husband and I would like to move to Florida permanently. We have no family there only friends. I am a Paralegal (although I realise that Florida Law is very different to English Law) - my husband is a Production Controller in a manufacturing environment, particularly aerospace. We are very keen to live anywhere in Florida and would certainly consider investing in a business. Has anyone any ideas on where to start? If we posted CVs where would we post them etc? We are very adaptible, no kids (only greyhounds to bring) and are hard workers.

Paula

chrizzy100
08-10-2003, 03:04
quote:Originally posted by PaulaK

Hi Everyone

I too am new at this forum. My husband and I would like to move to Florida permanently. We have no family there only friends. I am a Paralegal (although I realise that Florida Law is very different to English Law) - my husband is a Production Controller in a manufacturing environment, particularly aerospace. We are very keen to live anywhere in Florida and would certainly consider investing in a business. Has anyone any ideas on where to start? If we posted CVs where would we post them etc? We are very adaptible, no kids (only greyhounds to bring) and are hard workers.

Paula

There's a lot of work in Aerosospace in Orlando and surrounding areas....and you don't have to be an American for all of them..just most..you need a good degree in your field...or over 12 years in your job...ie Engineer....I would look at coming over with a job offer first....its cheaper....if you have to come over by buying a business.....we have a nice lady here to answer you questions...and I'm sure she will when she reads your post:D.....:D

esprit
08-10-2003, 08:39
Well forget the Paralegal as that is what I was in my other life!! Not exactly useful here, You could try looking for a job for your husband in the US through the newspapers and usual channels. It isnt easy. We tried that route too. You need to be sponsorred by a firm and that is hassle for them so you have to be in a "needed" field. You need to ba a graduate or very experienced in your field.

Business?? Substantial investment usually seen as not less than $100,000. Huge demand for businesses in Florida and a lot of competition for the good ones. There are some not so good businesses for sale out here with vendors and business brokers capitalising on the desire of Brits to get visas at any cost. Many of the businesses would be half the market value if being sold anywhere else in the US and are not intrinsically worth the price put on them, its a supply and demand thing. This is particularly the case in Orlando where businesses sell at a premium so you might consider looking elsewhere in Florida. There are some good businesses out here but you need to take your time looking around and not rush into anything as on a business visa, you are stuck with the business you buy!! Remember also that retirement is not an option on this visa.

chrizzy100
08-10-2003, 19:50
[/quote]
There's a lot of work in Aerosospace in Orlando and surrounding areas....and you don't have to be an American for all of them..just most..you need a good degree in your field...or over 12 years in your job...ie Engineer....I would look at coming over with a job offer first....its cheaper....if you have to come over by buying a business.....we have a nice lady here to answer you questions...and I'm sure she will when she reads your post:D.....:D
[/quote]

I'll have to add that you need security clearance for most jobs in Aerospace in the USA...my husband has MOD clearance in the UK....which can make it easier getting it here....but most of the time you need to be an American to go into Aerospace jobs..not just hold a greencard.....we have found a few place that will take you....but they are few and far between....most want you to have a greencard already....most will not bring you in from another State you have to have an Orlando address...so I don't think they would bring someone in from over seas....America is having a bad time with high tech jobs....so many Americans are out of work in IT etc....we can see a pick up...my husbands company are taking people back on....and orders for telcoms are coming in very fast unlike last year....but like here most companies will be taking back laid-off workers before looking elsewhere....