PDA

View Full Version : Christmas dinner/deserts

ida
03-12-2006, 18:56
Hi, I am planning to cook a traditional xmas dinner. Turkey and all the bits that go with it,but have heard that, mince pies and xmas pudding can not be bought in florida. So I would like to know what do american's eat as deserts after their xmas meal as we would like to try something different

blott
03-12-2006, 19:10
Pecan pie, pumpkin pie, plum loaf and, probably in Florida, Key Lime pie perhaps?

florida4sun
03-12-2006, 19:24
We used to make a deep key lime pie for desert. Turkey for main with fresh cranbury sauce and of course Indian Corn and biscuits.
Deep frying the whole turkey is very popular, but be very careful.

mfairhurst
03-12-2006, 19:28
You can get a packet of plain sponge pudding mixture and throw in you own fruit and a liitle sherry or brandy and you will think you are back in UK they sell them in PUBLIXS AND WALMART and you can steamed or microwave .
Have a lovely christmas .[msnsmile2]
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

SunLover
03-12-2006, 19:51
Anything with cream or brandy over it would be good [msntongue][msnwink]

christhear
03-12-2006, 20:05
when we were over for Christmas we could not find any little sausages for the traditional sausages wrapped in bacon.

Tracey K
03-12-2006, 20:19
We will be doing the same Ida but I will be cheating when it comes to desserts. Perkins restaurants sell numerous desserts (apple pies, lemon meringue) or the supermarkets do some lovely cheesecakes. Not as adventurous as pumpkin pie or Blotts other suggestions but will keep my lot happy!

ida
03-12-2006, 21:20
what is indian corn and biscuits, sounds good

blott
03-12-2006, 22:55
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by christhear
when we were over for Christmas we could not find any little sausages for the traditional sausages wrapped in bacon.[/quote]The ordinary US sausages are the little ones except they call them sausages and not chipolatas! [msnwink]

Dianap
04-12-2006, 20:24
Someone has asked me to take them some Mince Pies over I see you are saying you can,t is that a definate only last year I did take a pudding over in my case no problem[msnwink]

Arby
04-12-2006, 21:10
You can buy Christmas puddings in Florida. Just have to look for one. I bought one a couple of years ago.

blott
04-12-2006, 21:47
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Erica1
Someone has asked me to take them some Mince Pies over I see you are saying you can,t is that a definate only last year I did take a pudding over in my case no problem[msnwink][/quote]Unless they've got no animal suet in the mincemeat, then they're not allowed.

If you'd have been stopped by Customs with the Christmas pudding last year and it contained animal suet, then you would have been in trouble if you didn't declare it on your customs form. I can't see it's worth the risk of a fine and having it confiscated when you can buy them there?

sundowner
05-12-2006, 01:29
Have you tried the shop in Old Town - sorry can't remember the name. I do remember they sold things like Marmite, gravy granules, walkers crisps etc etc. They may have puddings in, although be warned, they will probably charge an arm and a leg for your Christmas treat.

Mary

ida
05-12-2006, 01:56
I think I'll buy several pies and lots of cream and brandy. it might be best to make my own mince meat when I'm there. It's quite easy to do.