PDA

View Full Version : Osbourne Family Christmas Lights

Magical Dreams
29-11-2006, 20:53
Anyone who is going to Florida over the next few weeks are in for a nice surprise!

The Osbourne Lights are now Dancing Lights.
They dance to the music at certain times during the evening.

They are already an amazing thing to see, but now they just got better.

We were there on Sunday evening and I was gobsmacked.
It brought a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye!

Just love it!

[msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

glasgowmary
29-11-2006, 21:18
hi , anyone tell me what i ' m missing as i don ' t know about these lights[msntongue]

andrewmckay5
29-11-2006, 21:46
Mary,
take a look at these photos:

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_34985.asp
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_34987.asp

"
Stroll down New York Street at Disney-MGM Studios as the streetlights fade and snowflakes begin to fall. Suddenly you're dazzled by millions of lights, dancing in synchronized splendor to a symphony for the senses with twirling carousels, heavenly angels — even Santa and his reindeer — amidst electrifying holiday music! Newly enhanced for this season, this enchanting spectacle is a Walt Disney World® tradition that makes holiday dreams come true"

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by glasgowmary
hi , anyone tell me what i ' m missing as i don ' t know about these lights[msntongue]
[/quote]

E. Cosgrove
29-11-2006, 22:59
And it snows!!!
Proper snow from a snow making machine that melts on your face[msnsmile2]

lorraine51
30-11-2006, 01:14
We were at MGM on 13th Nov when the lights went on what a fantastic sight it was,don't miss it folks.

LiesaAnna
30-11-2006, 03:03
we loved the "older style" ones, they brought a lump to my throat to but these will make me really cry!!!!

will have to go back in December!!

amy
30-11-2006, 03:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
we loved the "older style" ones, they brought a lump to my throat to but these will make me really cry!!!!

will have to go back in December!!
[/quote]

I Also loved the older ones, it was a great walk though the stars houses with the 3d glasses on, however it is a lot beyyet now as ndrew syas they Dance to the Music, it guess it is just like when you have seen the original specto, the current is never as good, but I am sure thet is only in your own mind as Disney never fail to Impress.

brizzle
30-11-2006, 11:19
I'm looking forward to this although have to agree that the old ones were pretty good, just the lights with some background christmas music to appreciate it in your own time.

Hope it doesn't seem like it's pumped up too much on steroids....and is still Christmasy.

Brizzle

Pamela
04-12-2006, 20:28
we just got back on Friday after three weeks in Florida, still trying to adjust to our weather [msncry]

we managed to see the dancing lights and they are amazing, we spent over an hour just walking about and watching those lights and listening to the music. Although we never seen the old ones that some people have mentioned I am sure you will not be disappointed with these ones. Amazing, bringing a lump to the throat thinking about it [msnsad]

becbecs
24-12-2006, 16:48
We checked The Osbourne Dancing Lights out Friday. They are amazing. Apparently there are approx 3 million Xmas lights that cover the whole of the street, they even have hidden mickeys in them so if your going keep your eyes open. Everybody was dancing along with the music also it was fabulous to be in. If your in Florida for Xmas New Year you have to go and see the lights. [clap]

Plus it Snows also

We never really new why they were called the Osbourne Family Lights, but we were told by MGM staff that, it was a Family who used to decorate there own house but got complaints from the neighbour so they donated their lights to Disney and Disney added a few more.

blott
24-12-2006, 18:08
The Osborne family come from Little Rock, Arkansas and the neighbours took out a court order at the Supreme Court to stop the 3 million light display on the Osborne's home because of the traffic problems. When they were turned off because of the court order, a family arrived late to see them and Jennings Osborne got a $10,000 fine just for switching them on for the family because he felt sorry that they'd missed them.

There are 5 million lights now - the Osborne's took the lights to Disney in 1995 - and they have been lit every year except one and now they're dancing lights. The Osborne family are still involved in designing the lights.

"I often meet people who say they don't miss a year of seeing our lights at the Disney-MGM Studios," says Jennings Osborne, the Arkansas businessman behind the theme park's annual Osborne Family Spectacle of Lights. "My family and I consider ourselves fortunate to be able to help make people happy. The magic is still there."

They're certainly an unmissable part of Christmas for anyone in Florida and there's still time to catch them before they're turned off on 07 January 2007.

LiesaAnna
24-12-2006, 21:35
when we first saw them 2 years ago (i think) they told the story of the osbourne lights just prior to putting the lights on, theyre even better now by the looks of the photos!

becbecs
25-12-2006, 07:47
Thanks for that Blott.

Now we know the correct storey.

ALR
19-01-2007, 19:39
We love it. We were there in November and it was my Mum's first trip so it was an excuse to go back a few times just so she could take them all in[msnwink]

ALR

Pamela
31-10-2007, 15:27
Does anyone know when these get switched on? We are planning to visit again in Oct 2008, will we miss this? Do they start in Nov?

emm
31-10-2007, 15:39
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Pamela
Does anyone know when these get switched on? We are planning to visit again in Oct 2008, will we miss this? Do they start in Nov?
[/quote]

I think they start on November 12th this year.

Tom n Bex
31-10-2007, 16:22
I have never seen these before and they are fast becoming one of the things I am looking forward to most on our upcoming trip. Can't wait to see them.

blott
31-10-2007, 18:11
In that case, be prepared to be amazed... or dazzled! [8D]

andy_d
31-10-2007, 21:54
You never stop learning! I've never heard of these lights! Sound good!

Paula D-S
01-11-2007, 01:23
Question time.

Are these lights anything to do with Ozzy, Sharon and Co and is there a story behind them?[?]

blott
01-11-2007, 01:47
Yep, there's a story and nope, not Ozzy or Sharon! :D

The Osborne family every year decorated their own house and every year they added to it. In the end, it got to be a huge attraction and people came from far and wide to look at the spectacular lights and wonder.

Unfortunately, their neighbours weren't too pleased about all those people arriving in their neighbourhood and went to court to get them stopped.

All was not lost, however, and Disney offered them space for their amazing light display and so, apart from one year, they've been at MGM ever since.

Like before, each year they've grown and grown and now there are more than eight million lights so they had to build a whole street at MGM for them as just one house was too small.

And that's where you can wander up and down in awe - enjoy because you've never seen anything like it in your entire life!

Paula D-S
01-11-2007, 09:15
Thanks Blott, hopefully I will get to see them in person one day.
They do look wonderful.

blott
01-11-2007, 14:48
Hope so Paula - once you've seen it, you'll never forget it as it's awesome.

Pamela
15-09-2008, 20:52
Hi

Does anyone know when the lights are switched on this year?
We go out on 24/10 and return 14/11....I think we are going to miss them.
Seen them in 2006 and would love to see them again this year.

Thanks

another
15-09-2008, 21:52
I think it is 28th November this year [msnsad]

steph_goodrum
15-09-2008, 23:02
We're definitely going back to see them this year, they were taken down last time we went so looking forward to the new improved versio and walking round with 3d glasses and a steaming mug or hot chocolate and marshmallows!

Pamela
16-09-2008, 13:39
awww. We'll miss them. [msncry][msncry][msncry]