PDA

View Full Version : car hire with a us drivers licence

maisie
26-11-2006, 06:02
Hi John and Roger can you please tell me can I rent a car (we are in florida now) with a florida drivers licence as we do not have our uk licences with us

SDJ
26-11-2006, 09:34
There should be no problem with you renting a car in Florida if you have a valid Florida Drivers License.

Sandra

roger
26-11-2006, 13:51
You wont be able to rent through us (or any other agent) on a US license, but no problem renting through Dollar or other rental companies direct (at their prices though!)

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by maisie
Hi John and Roger can you please tell me can I rent a car (we are in florida now) with a florida drivers licence as we do not have our uk licences with us
[/quote]

chrizzy100
26-11-2006, 19:47
There are still places online you can rent mostly in the UK with a US driver license...they take a lot of looking for...the last one we used stopped doing it a few weeks ago...that was $400 for 15 days for everything... gas every Ins going...all taxes...we had an HHR..lovely car thinking of buying one ...
Most of the time we use our own Ins......I only used this company because it was so cheap...

roger
26-11-2006, 20:37
You have to be careful booking through any UK company that claims they allow US driving licenses, as they are breaking the law. The reason for UK companies not being able to offer car hire to US license holders is a legal issue regarding import and export laws, and nothing to do with the contract the agent has.

Any UK company in theory can take a booking from a US license holder be there is a very good chance the rental company will turn you down when you collect the car, as they will be breaking the law otherwise.

maisie
27-11-2006, 05:31
Thanks for the info roger we just forgot our uk license and our car might have to go in for a day or so we just thought we might get a car to cover that period but I did think it might be doughtfull as I know you do not hire to americans,

PeterL
14-12-2006, 00:29
For general info on this topic. If you pre book via a UK Company. The car rental company will not accept a US license. I have an Indiana license. They told me I would have to re book and I would not get the discounted rate. Fortunately I had my UK one also.

http://www.orlandovillarental.com/florida-vacation-rental-3183.aspx

Clare R
14-12-2006, 01:02
Not quite so - we always use Budget and use our Florida licences with no trouble at all - except of course they get the date of births wrong!!

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
14-12-2006, 01:28
That sounds like you are booking direct with the car hire company which Roger has explained above is ok.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Clare R
Not quite so - we always use Budget and use our Florida licences with no trouble at all - except of course they get the date of births wrong!!
[/quote]

chrizzy100
14-12-2006, 04:28
I phoned the car hire company when I noticed the part on the booking form that said no US licences..but they said if it came down to it..they would just charge us an internet booking price... we've used the same company to book a few times...and no problems...they take a small booking fee...and we pay the car hire company....it works out half price or more...

roger
14-12-2006, 12:42
As we say, just be very careful doing this as you could still get turned down, and whatever they say, it is illegal for you to have booked through any UK company (this is a law relating to the import and export of services althgouh I dont fully understand it).

There is nothing to stop us from taking US bookings and there is every chance you will get away with it on collection of the car, but we could not be held responsible if you are refused a car when you collect. It is the rental company (not you or us) that would get in to trouble, hence they *should* turn you down when you try to collect the car.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
I phoned the car hire company when I noticed the part on the booking form that said no US licences..but they said if it came down to it..they would just charge us an internet booking price... we've used the same company to book a few times...and no problems...they take a small booking fee...and we pay the car hire company....it works out half price or more...
[/quote]

Genie
28-01-2007, 16:26
Do US guests have to book directly with the car hire at the airport ?

florida4sun
28-01-2007, 16:38
Or any usa based agent.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Genie
[/quote]

roger
28-01-2007, 16:40
See above - they will need to go either direct to the rental company or I guess via a US agent. There is a legal obligation on the rental companies, and on non-US agents NOT to take bookings from US / Canadian residents as it violates import / export laws.

We choose to operate within the law as the penalties are high, and even if we did take a US booking, the customer should be turned back by the rental company upon collection (and be charged the full local rate).

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Genie
[/quote]