PDA

View Full Version : can someone help me with this

mizzy
23-11-2006, 19:26
with christmas coming up i've decided that i would like to move my computer from one side of the dining room to another but not sure of the easiest way to do it

i think i need a wireless router? [msneek] but to be honest i don't actually have a clue where to start[msnembarrased]

if i do need a router do i still have to keep the modem where it is plugged into a white box sort of thingie on the wall and move the rest

told you i don't have a clue[msnscared]

help!!!!!!!

mizzy

Albert the Frog
23-11-2006, 20:11
Do you still have to dial a number to get access to t'internet or are you on broadband?
Is it a fairly new pc with something called wi-fi?

The reason i'm asking is that if you use broadband and have wi-fi capability then you can get a wireless box from BT or whoeveryour supplier is plug it in to the little whitr box thingie and then you can use your pc pretty much most places in the house.

i have no doubt that there are people more techy than me who will come up with something though if you're stuck!

mizzy
23-11-2006, 20:54
to answer you so far Albert

it's a broadband connection with ntl and the computer is approx 3yrs old there's no wi-fi logo on the computer like there is on my childrens laptop (we do not use the laptop for the internet)

mizzy

No Shoes
23-11-2006, 21:39
Mizzy

You can buy a cable wireless router (NTL are a cable company) to plug in instead of the modem (the box plugged into the wall). Thats the first thing.

Next - is your PC a laptop or a desktop machine (with seperate monitor and keyboard). If a laptop and not already equipped for wireless you will need a PCMCIA wireless card (sometimes the router will come with this). If a desktop machine you will need a PCI card or a USB adaptor.

Be aware that you also need to think about how secure you want your wireless network to be. Do you have anything on your computer that you wouldnt want seen by others?

If all this seems a bit too much and you would like some help - do you have SKYPE? If so DM me your ID and we can try and help.

Best regards

mizzy
24-11-2006, 01:45
it does all seem very bewildering to be honest

i have a normal desktop with flat screen monitor and keyboard then there's the big box thingie i think this is called a cpu?

we have a white box on the wall and a small silver ntl box with lots of lovely green coloured lights

see i'm so not with it[msnembarrased]you're probably surprised i can switch the thing on

perhaps i should just phone ntl and get them to come and do all the work for me[msnwink] it'll cost but if it saves me some hassle then i'll be happy and you never know it may all go smoothly

mizzy

eagleydo
24-11-2006, 02:05
Silver ntl box is connected to your computer by a lead, most likely an ethernet lead. You can get a longer lead to enable you to move the computer. This is a very simple procedure, just a matter of unplugging the short lead and putting in a longer one.

CERICROWLEY
24-11-2006, 11:35
Mizzy

Jan has given you the very simplist, easiest, and less expense idea to do.

Just get your hands on an ethernet lead long enough to suit you needs, You probably be best to try and staple it around your skirting to keep it out the way. If you do not indeed to have other computer on your broadband. You will get the best connection to the internet when it is plugged straight into your computer.