PDA

View Full Version : 3 weeks of laughs

nelly
24-08-2003, 12:15
I love the place, its superb.

Although we stayed at the best western movieland and not a villa, i like this website it has good advice and decent people so i am doing my holliday report mainly as advice to people who havent been yet, and a little of IVE BEEN TO FLORIDA AND IM TELLING EVEYONE.

We had 3 weeks which i think was perfect, expensive but perfect, it allowed us to go back to the hotel early when then parks filled up everyday and still know we could go back annother day so as to miss nothing, it was my 1st holiday with my girlfriend and my 1st trip to usa too.
I cant recomend it highly enough.

On day 1 after our flight in to Toronto then a 5 hour wait we flew down to orlando,we decieded to have a chill out day, pool/sight seeing etc,.

day 2
I have to tell you about this though, 'TIMESHARE TOUR'

we went on one of the Westgate lakes timeshare tours to get discount tickets, now this did save us about £250 pounds on our 5 day hopper plus and ten day flex tickets so we thought it was worth it.

We signed up gave a $20 deposit and promptly lost the receipt, anyway we got there explained and they check the computer and said everything was ok.

We sat down to our free breakfast and had the salesman showing us pictures of his wedding day and his kids which I fell about laughing at it was so false. I said right at the start to him that there is absolutely no chance on this planet that we will buy anything we were there for cheap tickets and nothing else, well anyway it went on for 3 hours not the claimed hour and a half, which was no supprise, then at the end another bloke came over doing a even harder sell I told him not to bother too, and then they sent a girl over good looking fluttery eye lashes the full works, still no sale can we go now please.
Anyway after the tour they said you cant have cheap tickets because you lost you receipt. As my blood accheived a perfect 100 degrees centegrade, the man suddenly backed down and gaves our tickets, with a look on his face as if he was about to get beaten to with an inch of his life and he was quite right too because thats exactly what i was about to do.

So in summary of a timeshare tour; expect 3hours of hard sell decide if wasting a morning is worth the money (in our case it was) and dont get drunk and think your partner has looked after the receipt as she is doing the exact same thing:)

Anyway back to holiday;

One of my fave things was the jaws ride, just because I saw it on tv as a little kid and sulked because I could only dream I would ever be there on that special ride in that far of place.

And I went on it and grinned and grinned my way round I was here and I was on 'my dream.'

heres a quick rundown and advice.

Definatley make the effort to get in parks early,

I can not stress this enough.

we went in islands of adventure 1 morning and went on duelling dragons 4 times straight after each other, we got off and walked through a door that wasnt locked yet and got straight back on 4 times.

We used to go in early hit the big rides then when the place was filling up just do the small stuff, we went home most days at 1 or 2 o'clock back to the pool to sunbath or rain bath (you know what i mean) and relax.

And do every ride or show too, my girlfriend wanted to do the 'horror makeup show in IoA, I was reluctant I thought it would be quite dull, well I was wrong it was a complete laugh, so unless you are really stuck for time, do it all.

Discovery cove is well worth it.

Do a few days in megga busy parks then when your sick to death of queues and american kids blindly walking into you, go to discovery cove and relax and swim with fish you only ever see on tv its great.
I was swimming with stigrays a big as my bed, unbelievable.
The swim with the dolphins isnt worth the money in my opinion though.

Dont miss;

The Hulk. Spiderman. MGM studios. Busch gardens. Sea world. Discovery cove. Filling you car right up with petrol for less than 15 quid:D

Disney was quite boring though.

Epcot was dull, just looking at that big ball thing was

chrisj
24-08-2003, 18:28
I know what you mean about the americans walking into you, this drove me up the wall and at one point
my wife could see I had had enough and was about to blow my top, but being a woman managed to change the
subject and take my mind off it. I suppose the only consolation is they apologise nicely, just wish
they would look where they are going in the first place.

As for smoking, Im a smoker and I didnt mind having to find somewhere to smoke, but I can see your point.

Timeshare people, mmmm should be outlawed in my opinion, The queues well not really a way around that
unless your famous.

At least you had a good time and thats all that matters

chrizzy100
24-08-2003, 21:00
quote:Originally posted by chrisj

I know what you mean about the americans walking into you, this drove me up the wall and at one point
my wife could see I had had enough and was about to blow my top, but being a woman managed to change the
subject and take my mind off it. I suppose the only consolation is they apologise nicely, just wish

As for smoking, Im a smoker and I didnt mind having to find somewhere to smoke, but I can see your point.

Timeshare people, mmmm should be outlawed in my opinion, The queues well not really a way around that
unless your famous.

I think its nice of people who smoke to give it up for the few hours in Disney.....for one if you walk around smoking and burn some poor American kid(who always steps on the back of your feet in queues why or how I don't know) you're going to be sued up to the eyeballs....this is the land of sueing....you can get sued for anything.....no matter how small....in Disney there are men in all the little houses.(.I've seen them run out after a woman started hitting her young son.)....if they see you smoking..they will remove you.....and ban you for up to 3 weeks from all their parks so I was told......so people getting away with it were lucky....

chrisj
24-08-2003, 22:43
I try to only ever smoke when im on my own, at home I always go into the garden. I just think its nice
because my wife doesnt smoke and so I wouldnt expect her to put up with it. But thats just me.

Mind you I like what you say about the land of sueing, next year can I sue all the americans that just
bump into me for damage hehehehe :D:D:D.

The thing with smoking is that it is slowly being phased out anyway, so its something that will only get
worse, at least the parks provide the odd area, in New York you cant smoke in public anywhere

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
24-08-2003, 22:44
Glad to hear you had a great time :).

On the smoking issue, why should smokers inflict their bad habits on the vast majority of us who do not smoke. Not only is it bad for your health but it smells awful too!

We recently went to Disneyland Paris and everyone smoked everywhere in the parks (do all French people smoke???) despite the clearly labelled smoking areas. It was just awful and can't have been good for the children having to breathe in all that dirty air :(.

Sorry for the rant - I'm an ex smoker (the worst kind) and it's just a pet hate of mine - no offence intended :).

florida4sun
24-08-2003, 23:07
Sorry I have to disagree with this one[}:)] I do smoke (just cigars now) but do find it offensive when poeple light up right next to me. We also have a child who uses a wheelchair fulltime. Before the smoking 'ban' he had on 3 occasions being burnt by people brushing past smoking. There are plenty of areas where you can smoke in the parks. These are well chosen and great spots to enjoy a coffee and smoke:)

Martin

quote:Originally posted by nelly

No smoking anyware, utterly ridiculous. Your in the parks but outside, and there are designated smoking areas, its just pampering to a tiny minority in my opinion In the end I decieded I would smoke anyware I liked outdoors of course but a funny thing started to happen people saw me smoking and they started to light up too because they thought it was a smoking area. Quite frankly in a country that has 200 million guns knocking about the place, the least of your problems is me smoking outdoors.

(source; http://thegreenman.net.au/mt/archives/000162.html )

anyway

Things i loved;
The rides.
The entertainment.
the sun.
The storms were fun too.
The food.
All the big huge americans making me look slim:)

Things I hated.

No smoking.
The queing.
The timeshare tour.
People just walking into me constantly in the parks.
Stupid rules, like me having to show my passport to prove I'm over 21 in pleasure island I'm 34 and I look it.

all in all we loved the whole holliday and only one argument with each other too (quite amazing)

chrizzy100
24-08-2003, 23:47

I try to only ever smoke when im on my own, at home I always go into the garden. I just think its nice
because my wife doesnt smoke and so I wouldnt expect her to put up with it. But thats just me.

Mind you I like what you say about the land of sueing, next year can I sue all the americans that just
bump into me for damage hehehehe :D:D:D.

The thing with smoking is that it is slowly being phased out anyway, so its something that will only get
worse, at least the parks provide the odd area, in New York you cant smoke in public anywhere

I don't have a big thing against smoking...its something I've never done myself....if someone visits and wants the odd smoke indoors...I don't say no...but I'm happier if they go outside......:)

sarahjk
25-08-2003, 00:42
I agree and I am a smoker but I and my husband also smoker do not smoke in the house at home due to the kids and it does not hurt to go to a set smoking area and not inflict it on the people who have never picked up the very bad habit and it also does not hurt to wait a while if you are somewhere that does not have a smoking area
Always think of others as well

chrisj
25-08-2003, 00:43
Chrizzy

Well if the invite is still on for the barbie, I would have a smoke before we got to your
villa, I would not dare smoke inside or even outside as I think this rude. As you are a
non smoker I would wait until after we had left as I would respect your non smoking
views. Take into account we had a 9 hour flight without a smoke, so its not that hard
to hold off for a few hours.

So reserve a nice burger please :D:D

Carla
25-08-2003, 03:25
Chrisj, all villa owners permit people to smoke on the decking area, so you will be fine when you visit Chrizzy. :D:D:D

MTP
25-08-2003, 04:30
I have to admit to coming out on the anti-smoking camp (as an ex-smoker). There are clearly designated areas and i just think that it is rude to light up wherever you are outside. I have to say I think that this is a typically "Brist Abroad" problem. In America there are common anti-smoking in public area legislation, in many of the States. This is also actually getting more common in the UK.

Anyway it just seems typical of some people, lighting up because they can't see the harm and they can do it back at home, so why not here.

i know it is a really petty point, but it is also in-line with packing your luggage full of food that you can't get abroad, etc. That is the whole point of going abroad.

I think you should engage and adopt the customs of the places you are visiting, "When in Rome,...".

Besides, I am not convinced about the secondary smoking problems in the big outdoors, but I just don't like the smell or seeing cigarette butts around the place.

I would agree that there are some particular peculiarities in the States when it comes to gun laws, but that doesn't justify not respecting their laws and customs on other issues.

Elaine311
25-08-2003, 20:02
<<i know it is a really petty point, but it is also in-line with packing your luggage full of food that you can't get abroad, etc. That is the whole point of going abroad.>>

Sorry, but there's no way I'm going without my Tetley teabags :D I remember US tea from a visit to LA, and it was - in my humble opinion - yuck [xx(]!

Elaine

chrizzy100
25-08-2003, 20:30
quote:Originally posted by Elaine311

<<i know it is a really petty point, but it is also in-line with packing your luggage full of food that you can't get abroad, etc. That is the whole point of going abroad.>>

Sorry, but there's no way I'm going without my Tetley teabags :D I remember US tea from a visit to LA, and it was - in my humble opinion - yuck [xx(]!

Elaine

They sell Tetley teabags up here in Mass....don't they in Fl......:(

chrizzy100
25-08-2003, 20:39
quote:Originally posted by Carla

Chrisj, all villa owners permit people to smoke on the decking area, so you will be fine when you visit Chrizzy. :D:D:D

I'm not doing rentals with our Villa carla...so he'll be OK.....I don't have to keep the place smoke free....I will let one person smoke and not send them outside alone.....but I'm happier if they don't mind going outside.....:)

chrisj
25-08-2003, 22:39
hehehe

Well I would go outside as its a matter of respecting your house, also when I was at the Villa we rented
I would go out the front and smoke. If it was raining I would smoke quickly. I used an empty coke can for
the ash and fag butt and then tied this up in a nappy bag and put it in the trash

chrizzy100
26-08-2003, 01:48

hehehe

Well I would go outside as its a matter of respecting your house, also when I was at the Villa we rented
I would go out the front and smoke. If it was raining I would smoke quickly. I used an empty coke can for
the ash and fag butt and then tied this up in a nappy bag and put it in the trash

I'll remember to keep you a few coke cans.......hehehehehe
:D

chrisj
26-08-2003, 02:07

nelly
15-09-2003, 04:39
and all you see is the smoking thing!
pathetic!!!!!!!!!!!

chrisj
15-09-2003, 13:10
sorry nelly ??

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
15-09-2003, 13:54
Nelly:

You were the one who made the big play about the smoking issue in the first place.

I don't think the selfish acts of the minority of smokers is pathetic at all - I don't want to get cancer as a result of breathing in other people's smoke :(.

quote:Originally posted by nelly

pathetic!!!!!!!!!!!

sunshine state
15-09-2003, 23:24
Yes i agree why should any of us non smokers suffer from other peoples smoke i can see what your saying there floridadreamvilla.co.uk

chrisj
16-09-2003, 00:17
Sunshine

You dont suffer mine, which is what ive been saying on this thread, Yes I smoke and I know
others do not, so I go out of my way to smoke away from others, because I appreciate people
who do not smoke, do not like the smell etc.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
16-09-2003, 00:35
Sorry for my strong words everyone - as I said I am an ex smoker - they always say these are the most anti-smokers ;).

No offence intended to anyone :).

chrisj
16-09-2003, 01:38
John/Sarah

None taken at all, I agree with your views which is why I keep saying as a Smoker I go out
of my way to smoke away from everyone as I appreciate others views. Afraid im not a veggie
but thats another subject :)

TotallyAngelic
03-03-2004, 17:34
Just thought I would add my thoughts on the smoking debate: as the theme parks are a child orientated environment, they should remain as child friendly as possible, and smoking should be banned, end of story. If people can manage the 9 hour flight without lighting up, then they should be able to spend a few hours in the parks without doing so. Even outside, smoke can linger and there is nothing worse than enjoying a family day out and having other people's smoke inflicted upon you. When a person is a visitor to Florida, the local customs and regulations should be repected. If some Brits feel they can just act as they would anywhere else, then they will end up contaminating a beautiful part of the world with smoking, fag ends, litter, drunken behaviour etc as they already done in much of the Mediterranean resorts.
The American people seem to take such a pride in their environment, when do you ever see litter on the streets or dog excrement in Floridian resorts like you do on the Med or in the U.K.
Just my opinion, of course, and everyone is entitled to their own, so no offence meant.

chrizzy100
03-03-2004, 18:21
quote:Originally posted by TotallyAngelic

Just thought I would add my thoughts on the smoking debate: as the theme parks are a child orientated environment, they should remain as child friendly as possible, and smoking should be banned, end of story. If people can manage the 9 hour flight without lighting up, then they should be able to spend a few hours in the parks without doing so. Even outside, smoke can linger and there is nothing worse than enjoying a family day out and having other people's smoke inflicted upon you. When a person is a visitor to Florida, the local customs and regulations should be repected. If some Brits feel they can just act as they would anywhere else, then they will end up contaminating a beautiful part of the world with smoking, fag ends, litter, drunken behaviour etc as they already done in much of the Mediterranean resorts.
The American people seem to take such a pride in their environment, when do you ever see litter on the streets or dog excrement in Floridian resorts like you do on the Med or in the U.K.
Just my opinion, of course, and everyone is entitled to their own, so no offence meant.

I must admit I don't miss the shopping bags and dog muck on the beach....you see very little litter.....and apart from around the building sites..I see very few fag ends......

03-03-2004, 21:40
quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk

Nelly:

You were the one who made the big play about the smoking issue in the first place.

I don't think the selfish acts of the minority of smokers is pathetic at all - I don't want to get cancer as a result of breathing in other people's smoke :(.

[quote]Originally posted by nelly

pathetic!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS A STRONG REPLY BE WARNED!

Im with John and Sarah on this.

Welldone to Chrisj he is a responsible guy.

SOME (not all!) of you smokers are an arrogant irresponsible bunch!

Why should us healthy, sweet smelling non smokers have to put up with smokers foul smelling, second hand, desease inducing breath and smoke!

In my view you should be made to go into a sealed smoking room (like they have at many International Airports now) and smoke in sealed privacy.

If you want to know why I feel so strongly about this issue its because my 2 year old baby girl has a gene deficiency and if she inhales second hand smoke from irresponsible smokers like you nelly IT SHORTENS HER LIFE - END OF STORY!

YOU HAVE A CHOICE SHE DOES NOT - SO GO SMOKE IN PRIVATE!

george
03-03-2004, 21:51
Who walked into who? Did you see them coming through your shades?[8D][msncool]

unless your famous.

george
03-03-2004, 22:01
Do you use a car to get to Disney etc?.... Get my point.[V]
PS I am a non smoker but let us remember we are doing the air quality no good in our cars but we still do it without a thought for others
quote:Originally posted by sunshine state

Yes i agree why should any of us non smokers suffer from other peoples smoke i can see what your saying there floridadreamvilla.co.uk

Nostromo
06-03-2004, 11:35
As a lifelong anti-smoking person, I feel that I have to comment on this smoking issue. It is a disgusting, nauseating habit and I have no sympathy whatsoever to smokers who complain about not being allowed to indulge in their filthy habit. Triple Kudos for evey place in Orlando or anywhere else) which does not allow smoking. As someone said, most of us are non-smokers and why should we be forced to inhale other people's foul breath? I don't think any place is obliged to make the slightest allowances to smokers and if they feel upset about it....tough! Fortunately, more and more places are getting anti-smoking and I hope the day comes when this becomes universal. Also, the penalty for those who smoke (indoors or outdoors) in places that they are not supposed to should be draconian rather than a tap on the wrist.

george
06-03-2004, 13:45
What about gum as a problem. It looks so bad on side walks and is a pain when people stick it under the tables. What are your views?

Nostromo
06-03-2004, 15:15
Chewing Gum is another matter. People can chew away as much as they like and in fact some of the sugarefree ones have a beneficial effect. But I agree 100% with you that spitting it out in inappropriate places is a bad habit and very inconvenient to others, though not a health hazard like smoking.(all of you must have seen the recent ads about the effects of passive smoking. As a doctor with a special interest in respiratory medicine, I can tell you that the problem is much worse than it appears to be). Spitting gum is just as bad as carelessly discarding other food residue like gnawed bones, rotten fruit etc. As long as we remember that we live in a society and show some consideration to other people, things will be fine.

07-03-2004, 02:34
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
As a lifelong anti-smoking person, I feel that I have to comment on this smoking issue. It is a disgusting, nauseating habit and I have no sympathy whatsoever to smokers who complain about not being allowed to indulge in their filthy habit. Triple Kudos for evey place in Orlando or anywhere else) which does not allow smoking. As someone said, most of us are non-smokers and why should we be forced to inhale other people's foul breath? I don't think any place is obliged to make the slightest allowances to smokers and if they feel upset about it....tough! Fortunately, more and more places are getting anti-smoking and I hope the day comes when this becomes universal. Also, the penalty for those who smoke (indoors or outdoors) in places that they are not supposed to should be draconian rather than a tap on the wrist.
[/quote]

Hear hear!

I think nelly has gone into hiding on the smoking debate even though it was they who set the ball rolling.

As much as I hate gum on the floor or anywhere else its not going to kill any where near as many people as smoking and passive smoking does and will!

Julie R

firsttimer
24-03-2004, 20:01
Ooooh! What a thread!
I'll just add my twopennorthworth...
I don't smoke and never have. What I object to most is people who wander along dangling a lighted cigarette pointed in an outward direction at exactly child height, It makes my bllod boil, especially as they hseem to have absolutely no control of it and are oblivious to the danger. If my child (when he was smaller) had ever had a cigarette burn I would have sued no question. I avoid standing near people who smoke, but if they ust smoke, they should do it standing still and get rid of it not just take a drag and walk round with it as an offensive weapon for 10 minutes.
(sorry for the rant!)

kaysvacationvilla
24-03-2004, 21:52
There is now way that I want to breath other peoples smoke and I should never be put in that position or have my children in that position!!!!

I think the smokers should feel lucky they have an area that they can smoke in. Some somkers do not realize( or don't care) that others have medical conditions and have no condsideration for what they are doing effects all the people around them.

I feel as strongly about smoking as I do about wearing seat belts.

huckleberry house
24-03-2004, 22:02
I just clicked on to the end of this thread assuming it was someones holiday trip report only to find it is an anti-smoking topic,how did that happen and why ???

Lesley

24-03-2004, 22:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by huckleberry house
I just clicked on to the end of this thread assuming it was someones holiday trip report only to find it is an anti-smoking topic,how did that happen and why ???

Lesley
[/quote]

Lesley,

It was a holiday report but nelly included a paragraph on smoking in the parks and I think a bit of bravado re smoking anywhere not in designated smoking areas and this has ignited the anti smoking thread.

Julie R

firsttimer
26-03-2004, 17:11
Nelly, sorry about joining in the thread hijack!!, but glad to hear you had a great time. Hope ours is as good as yours!

tinkerbell
26-03-2004, 21:06
Well, the smoking thing.....

I was standing in line for the monorail after closing at MK at xmas, and had an arrogant smoker light up a cigarette right next to me. I couldn't move away from him as it was so crammed full of people and despite asking him politely to put it out he told us it was his right to smoke any place he chose.

People like this should NEVER go on holiday to Australia. Smoking is banned in all public places, even bars and pubs, but there are designated smoking areas. I feel very strongly that if people choose to smoke (and I do NOT believe this is such a large majority nelly, I only just commented on my last trip at xmas how little smoking I had seen during my stay), they should be the ones who have to put themselves out by going to find a smoking area. Why should the rest of us suffer?!

huckleberry house
26-03-2004, 21:23
Come on surely thats enough on the smoking issue now,this is a Florida forum and this post was a holiday makers visit report,can we just get back to that.

Lesley

Ray&Sarah
26-03-2004, 21:46
Nelly,
Sounds like you had a wonderful time, we always go to Florida with Sarah's parents, my mother-in-law provides us with many many laughs!!!:D One of her all time classics is accusing me of hiding her spectacles when she was actually wearing them!

orlandobabe
29-03-2004, 22:59
Can I add my twopennorth.

We take care of our little baby grandson for half the week-and as soon as I get him I can't wait to strip him off and get him in the bath.

Why?-To get rid of his mother's smoke off him!

You can't believe that a parent would smoke near their baby can you?

We daren't say anything in case we upset the apple cart and we don't get to see him-but honestly can you believe anyone would be so stupid to risk their own child-it breaks my heart!

Harmony
30-03-2004, 17:44
Smokers feel they have a right to choose to smoke and I would have to agree. However I also believe that non smokers have the right to clean air unpolluted with smoke. Respect for each others rights is needed on BOTH sides.

Chris has the right attitude in that he would refrain whilst at a non smokers villa just as I as a non smoker do not complain when I visit a smoker in their home and they smoke. (Just wash all my clothes afterwards to get rid of the aweful smell.;))

With regard to Nelly being asked for ID at 34, I would be flattered that someone could be unsure that I was over 21. :D Dispite the niggles I hope you enjoyed your holiday and thank you for your trip report.

Jeff

blott
30-03-2004, 17:54
We seem to have gone back to smoking again! This was originally poor Nelly's trip report, not the anti-smoking lobby!

chrisj
30-03-2004, 18:18
Think I'll go for a smoke then :)

blott
30-03-2004, 19:12
Arggggh! :D

chrisj
30-03-2004, 19:19
Sorry couldnt resist that [:I]