PDA

View Full Version : We passed our driving tests.............

Frosty
08-11-2006, 18:41
Hi Everyone,

We took and passed our US driving tests yesterday, and i thought someone might be interested in what we did;

We called the centre on Monday, and got appointments for Tuesday, at the Haines city centre.
Its a smaller centre and much less busy than the one in Orlando.

Firstly we drove early to the centre, it is a little difficult to find, set back off the main road. Then when we found it, we had a drive round Haines city, just to see what the roads were like.
It is a small compact kind of city where the centre is, lots of side roads, stop signs, unmarked crossroads, rail crossing and awkward junctions. its well worth a drive round to familiarise yourself.
Very close to the centre is a long street with a dead end, when we found this we practised our 3 point turn and reversing etc.
Then in the car park of the centre we found the parking bay which had cones round it, so we drove in to practice the parking manouvre.

So the we parked up and went in.
Inside we took seats and waited to be called.
We had appointments for the rules and signs test at 9.45 and 10.00
We were there for 9.15, and got called up more or less straight away,
first thing you do is look into this machine which is on the counter, to check your vision. It looks like a big pair of binoculars, and you see lines of letters inside just like a regular eye test. You are asked to read one line about halfway down, if you do this ok, then your done.

Next you sit at a touch screen terminal which then proceeds to give you 20 road rules questions, which are multiple choice A,B,C,D type.
You simply choose the correct letter and then touch enter.
The thing to note here, is if you get one wrong it tells you immediately, it took me to number 11 before i realised this. So if it doesn't tell you anything you know its right.
You have to get 15 out of 20 to pass, i got 1 wrong.

When the road rules is complete, the test then moves onto the road signs test, again its 15 of 20 to pass. When completed you move back to the waiting line.
Things to remember, you really need to read the driver handbook at least once to have a chance with the rules, the signs are more or less straight forward, you would be unlucky to fail here.
The handbook can be found here:
http://www.lowestpricetrafficschool.com/handbooks/

You are then called back to the counter, the rest of your details are taken, you have to show insurance is on the car along with valid tag etc, we used a rental, so just showed the agreement and this was fine.

So then you sit and wait to be called for the test. we had times of 11.10 & 11.30 It was 12.15 before i was called.
The examiner takes you outside, has you get in the car and switch the ignition on, but not start the car. Then you operate the turn signals stop lights and horn etc to show the car is ok. The examiner then gets in and briefs you on what you will have to do, you then sign to say you understand what you are about to do.
Next buckle up and pull out of the parking spot, the first instruction is to drive to the parking bay which has the cones round it, you are told to drive in to the bay, suddenly the cones make it look really small in the bay, pull in and make sure you don't hit anything and as far as possible you are centrally positioned both length ways and side ways.
Once completed we were off onto the roads, the first thing to watch, the carpark has a STOP sign, so STOP, then proceeded as directed roud a couple of streets and the told as i turned right onto a hill going away from me, i should pull up at the curb as if i was parking the car to leave it there. What they want is for you to show that you know how to turn the wheels into the curb so that if it rolls away, it should roll into the curb and not across the other lane. we both did this, me downhill, Kay uphill, so revise and know which way to turn.
Next we drove to the long dead end road we had been practising in earlier, and i was asked to do a 3 point turn. Its easy, no handbrake to worry about, just make sure you indicate before you do the first turn

gwendolinemary
08-11-2006, 19:05
Thanks for that - very interesting!:):)

chrizzy100
08-11-2006, 19:21
Thats a long test with lots of things to do...up here a State Trooper just takes you around the block to make sure you know which side of the road to drive on..

wrpac00
08-11-2006, 22:20
Didn't I read somewhere that it only last for the duration of your visa? You then have to reapply (not take the test) on each subsequent visit.

chrizzy100
08-11-2006, 22:48
Yes thats true...Paul...

SDJ
09-11-2006, 09:10
Unfortunately, since 11th Sept incident, we have to go to Haines City to renew our licence every time our 6 month B1 visa runs out. They will not allow you to do it on line. It pays to make an appointment on line as the first time I went, I was there from 1000 and left at 1900. Even after all that wait, the guy said I needed glasses for driving so would only issue a temporary license. I got the glasses which cost me nearly $300 for what I wanted. I went back and passed the eye test with the glasses. The next time I went, I did the eye test without my glasses and passed. I questioned this and they said some times they allow 2 letters wrong, others 3. I obviously got the wrong man. I have never been told I needed glasses since so what a waste of money!!!

Sandra

nicseg
09-11-2006, 14:27
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Frosty
Hi Everyone,

We took and passed our US driving tests yesterday, and i thought someone might be interested in what we did;

We called the centre on Monday, and got appointments for Tuesday, at the Haines city centre.
Its a smaller centre and much less busy than the one in Orlando.

Firstly we drove early to the centre, it is a little difficult to find, set back off the main road. Then when we found it, we had a drive round Haines city, just to see what the roads were like.
It is a small compact kind of city where the centre is, lots of side roads, stop signs, unmarked crossroads, rail crossing and awkward junctions. its well worth a drive round to familiarise yourself.
Very close to the centre is a long street with a dead end, when we found this we practised our 3 point turn and reversing etc.
Then in the car park of the centre we found the parking bay which had cones round it, so we drove in to practice the parking manouvre.

So the we parked up and went in.
Inside we took seats and waited to be called.
We had appointments for the rules and signs test at 9.45 and 10.00
We were there for 9.15, and got called up more or less straight away,
first thing you do is look into this machine which is on the counter, to check your vision. It looks like a big pair of binoculars, and you see lines of letters inside just like a regular eye test. You are asked to read one line about halfway down, if you do this ok, then your done.

Next you sit at a touch screen terminal which then proceeds to give you 20 road rules questions, which are multiple choice A,B,C,D type.
You simply choose the correct letter and then touch enter.
The thing to note here, is if you get one wrong it tells you immediately, it took me to number 11 before i realised this. So if it doesn't tell you anything you know its right.
You have to get 15 out of 20 to pass, i got 1 wrong.

When the road rules is complete, the test then moves onto the road signs test, again its 15 of 20 to pass. When completed you move back to the waiting line.
Things to remember, you really need to read the driver handbook at least once to have a chance with the rules, the signs are more or less straight forward, you would be unlucky to fail here.
The handbook can be found here:
http://www.lowestpricetrafficschool.com/handbooks/

You are then called back to the counter, the rest of your details are taken, you have to show insurance is on the car along with valid tag etc, we used a rental, so just showed the agreement and this was fine.

So then you sit and wait to be called for the test. we had times of 11.10 & 11.30 It was 12.15 before i was called.
The examiner takes you outside, has you get in the car and switch the ignition on, but not start the car. Then you operate the turn signals stop lights and horn etc to show the car is ok. The examiner then gets in and briefs you on what you will have to do, you then sign to say you understand what you are about to do.
Next buckle up and pull out of the parking spot, the first instruction is to drive to the parking bay which has the cones round it, you are told to drive in to the bay, suddenly the cones make it look really small in the bay, pull in and make sure you don't hit anything and as far as possible you are centrally positioned both length ways and side ways.
Once completed we were off onto the roads, the first thing to watch, the carpark has a STOP sign, so STOP, then proceeded as directed roud a couple of streets and the told as i turned right onto a hill going away from me, i should pull up at the curb as if i was parking the car to leave it there. What they want is for you to show that you know how to turn the wheels into the curb so that if it rolls away, it should roll into the curb and not across the other lane. we both did this, me downhill, Kay uphill, so revise and know which way to turn.
Next we drove to the long dead end road we had been practising in earlier, and i

chrizzy100
09-11-2006, 17:30
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by SDJ
Unfortunately, since 11th Sept incident, we have to go to Haines City to renew our licence every time our 6 month B1 visa runs out. They will not allow you to do it on line. It pays to make an appointment on line as the first time I went, I was there from 1000 and left at 1900. Even after all that wait, the guy said I needed glasses for driving so would only issue a temporary license. I got the glasses which cost me nearly $300 for what I wanted. I went back and passed the eye test with the glasses. The next time I went, I did the eye test without my glasses and passed. I questioned this and they said some times they allow 2 letters wrong, others 3. I obviously got the wrong man. I have never been told I needed glasses since so what a waste of money!!!

Sandra
[/quote]

You could of pick up glasses at the supermarket for $14.......

Frosty
10-11-2006, 06:01
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by nicseg

Well done to you both, this is something we have though of doing so this makes interesting reading
Ta
[/quote]
Thanks, i hope it helps you in the future

Clare R
10-11-2006, 15:30
When we did our tests in Charlotte County in 2001 the entire test was done in the car park - considered too dangerous to do it on the roads!! The parking in the cone area is 18' x 9' considered to be regular parking space.

LiesaAnna
10-11-2006, 18:27
well done Kay and Neil!![clap][clap][clap][clap]

SDJ
10-11-2006, 23:37
Chrizzy

Believe me I tried but they are usually reading glasses in supermarkets and suchlike which is not what I needed. I already have several $10 glasses but can't do distances in those.

Sandra

chrizzy100
10-11-2006, 23:50
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by SDJ
Chrizzy

Believe me I tried but they are usually reading glasses in supermarkets and suchlike which is not what I needed. I already have several $10 glasses but can't do distances in those.

Sandra
[/quote]

I have no problem with distances if I had 6ft arms I could read a book without glasses.....[msneek]

Ian Dee
11-11-2006, 00:43
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Frosty
Hi Everyone,

thing you do is look into this machine which is on the counter, to check your vision. It looks like a big pair of binoculars, and you see lines of letters inside just like a regular eye test. You are asked to read one line about halfway down, if you do this ok, then your done.

[/quote]
well done
one thing I was not clear about - the eye test.
Do you know (assuming you dont wear them?) if the specific eye test, was with specs or not?

Clare R
11-11-2006, 03:59
It is with specs, I have astigmatism and failed the eye test first time round as I cannot use binoculars (only see out of one lens) also IMAX cinemas are a flat screen, the only way I passed (just) was to have an 'itch' in my right eye so I could rub it and therefore close my right eye so that my left eye focused as you need to see into both parts of the binoculars to read off, from memory, a letter and a number.

Ian Dee
11-11-2006, 12:31
Thanks Clare for the clarification ( no pun intended!):)

anorak
12-11-2006, 01:10
I read on another forum that when you get your plastic license now it is marked non resident.
Is the paper temp license also marked non resident?
Does anyone know if that is true as it might be awkward for our annual Universal Studios Fl resident passes.
We are resident here in Fl 6 months of the year at the moment and have no other real home, hope for green cards in a few months.

Frosty
12-11-2006, 06:57
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by anorak
I read on another forum that when you get your plastic license now it is marked non resident.
Is the paper temp license also marked non resident?
Does anyone know if that is true as it might be awkward for our annual Universal Studios Fl resident passes.
We are resident here in Fl 6 months of the year at the moment and have no other real home, hope for green cards in a few months.
[/quote]

The paper version has no such reference to residency, it just shows our address.
Will let you know what the plastic one says when we get it.

SDJ
13-11-2006, 03:29
I have just received my renewed plastic license and there is no mention of being non-resident so don't know where that came from.[:O]

Sandra

Kat7
27-01-2007, 15:20
anorak.

Don't mean to be nosey......well, actually I am!!!!;) , but how are you getting your green cards?
Please don't say thru the post!!![laugh]
Feel free to tell me to ...'mind my own'!!!![msnembarrased]

Kat

steph_goodrum
27-01-2007, 16:08
We had Florida Id cards which we got before 9/11, which expired in 2005 to use for ID purposes and in the bottom right hand corner in fairly small print it says "resident" and it says NO on them, I thought they were the same as the drivers license format.

with the new system it's not worth us renewing them now as they're only issued till the expiry on your !94 which is only 90 days inder visa waiver