PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarians

esprit
26-02-2002, 21:31
I think I saw in a thread somewhere that John and Sarah are veggies. Any tips about places to eat out which are good for vegetarians ? Two of my kids are veggies including my youngest son who is the only one who still comes with us on a regular basis. In a country with a predeliction for eating large slabs of meat, buckets of seafood and those giant turkey legs that people gnaw on walking round the parks ( which turns veggie son's stomach), vegetarianism is not an easy option. Denny's, Perkins etc do not have anything to offer really other than the omelettes from the breakfast menu. At the steak bars, he just orders the salad bar ( they look at us as if we are real cheapskates!) and at all-u-can eat buffets, he just picks out the salad stuff but has to pay for the lot. Pizzas are 'suss' unless they will do one with veggie cheese and pasta usually has meat floating somewhere in the sauce ( apart from at Carrabases which does do pasta with just tomato sauce) Any ideas, John and Sarah, or do you cook in the villa ( not a concept I subscribe to!!!)

Julie Carty

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
26-02-2002, 22:41
We're both veggies (as are both our children).

We find that either Chilis or the Olive Garden are the best bet for us. Chilis to all the burgers on the menu as a very nice bean burger and Olive Garden has lots of things. We aviod the steak places like the plague as we don't like the smell of cooking meat but find places like IHOP can be quite good too.

We've just invested in a book about Veggie places to eat in Disney, Universal and the Orlando area. This has loads of hints and tips for where to go too. We'll be trying quite a few of them out next time we are in Florida.

As you suggest, we do eat in quite a bit too as it's easier to make healthy food than to try and serch it out after a long day at the parks.

John & Sarah

John & Sarah Rooke
Orlando Villas

Ruth
27-02-2002, 23:04
We are also veggies and love the Olive Garden. We also like Pizza Hut and never questioned the cheese, but I have to say we eat in quite a lot as we have always found it hard to find veggie food in Florida. I would be very interested in the name of your book & where you can buy it?

Ruth
www.golfvillasflorida.com

esprit
27-02-2002, 23:15
Looks like its the Olive Garden for us next time!!

Julie Carty

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
27-02-2002, 23:20
Hi

The book is called "Vegetarian Walt Disney World and Greater Orlando" by Susan Shumaker, Than Saffel and can be bought at amazon from http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0967928001/qid%3D1014837608/202-4208411-3827057.

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0967928001.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

It lists literally loads of places to try and even suggests what you might ask a chef if you ring up to make an advance booking at most of the local restaurants.

The proof will be in the eating, so to speak :).

John & Sarah

John & Sarah Rooke
Orlando Villas

Edited by - floridadreamvilla.co.uk on 27/02/2002 19:22:33

steph_goodrum
27-02-2002, 23:43
At least most of you have made the decision to become veggies, if you think that's restricting, this one that a Polish family of guests has to follow for the children, I'm sure he won't mind me printing part of his e-mail, like most people with any sort of illness, they would rather awareness was raised to the general public.
"On the other hand I always will to create the happy childhood for my
children feeling that constant pressure that they are affected by the disorder with many limitations for the whole lifetime.
As I have mentioned before they have to be on very restrict metabolic low protein diet.
They both have PKU (Phenylketonuria) which is an essential enzyme deficiency if not treated leading to mentalretardation.
Thanks God it was diagnosed early and they being properly treated are fully in right condition as other kids at the same age.
The problem we got used to is the diet: can you imagine that you cannot eat the food delivering protein
like: breads, pasta, baked products, milk, cheese, dairy products, meat, fish, beans?
For the protein intake they have special formula without phenylalanine they drink every day, except this they have their own low protein bread, flour, pasta, milk, cheese plus they can eat regular vegetables and fruits.
And this is how it looks, that's why we always need vacation place with
kitchen.

Babblin Boo