PDA

View Full Version : Trick or Treat Happy Halloween[}:)].

Cruella DeVilla
31-10-2006, 11:46
Done my part this year, we had a fancy dress party on Friday and now the costumes are safely tucked away til the next time!

Have a nice time tonight I am sure those of you with kids will be busy!

mizzy
31-10-2006, 11:52
eeeer that would be me Cruella[msneek]

my house has so many decorations i feel i should charge for a tour, we have floating ghosts that have been frightening the life out of me every morning since saturday and a cemetry with picket fence and gravestones in the front garden, mine are the only children in the close and the neighbours are retired or the executive sort so god only knows what they must think!

the children are really excited as we are having a small family party, granny is coming too and my oldest who should know better told her to not bother dressing up because she's scarey anyway[msnscared][msnscared][msnscared]

anyone else having a party, have a great time[msnsmile2]

Mizzy

Ray&Sarah
31-10-2006, 12:25
Happy Halloween to all the OV family.

Not a great lover of the day myself, don't mind giving sweets to the little ones that knock at the door but resent having to answer the door loads of times to teenagers who want money.[msnsad][msnsmile2] But if you don't answer the door the little ones miss out.

mizzy
31-10-2006, 12:29
we never give money, they either get crispy cakes or a childrens sweets and they always get a comment about being a little too old for halloween, my husband is 6'3 and well built so they don't argue back with him, we had teens last night and i told then they are too early but if they come back tommorow they will get a lollipop[msnwink]

it's the old dears nearby that i feel sorry for[msnsad]

Mizzy

Ray&Sarah
31-10-2006, 12:32
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mizzy
we never give money, they either get crispy cakes or a childrens sweets and they always get a comment about being a little too old for halloween, my husband is 6'3 and well built so they don't argue back with him, we had teens last night and i told then they are too early but if they come back tommorow they will get a lollipop[msnwink]

it's the old nears nearby that i feel sorry for[msnsad]

Mizzy
[/quote]

I don't give money either, its the sweets or nothing, but I do get some funny looks from the teens. [msnwink][msnsmile2]

LiesaAnna
31-10-2006, 13:07
yep sweets or nothing!
wish we bought lots of halloween things from target last year:( they had some really cool gear! will do a bit of decorating round the front door so when i run out down it all comes!!!

have a happy halloween all xx

Pat M
31-10-2006, 14:08
we do the house up a bit at the front mainly for the little ones, my 15 yr old grandaughter thinks its embarrasing as she lives in the same street but who cares it just a bit of fun and yes the older ones just think its an oppertunity to scrounge money so im not happy when they knock, pat

Paula D-S
31-10-2006, 15:28
Anyone knocking on my door will get sweets. I have a busy afternoon planned decorating the house before the girls come home from school.

I don't mind halloween but what's this Mischief Night all about. Although we didn't have any pranks at our house I was listening on the radio this morning about teenagers causing havoc last night[msnmad] pity parents don't keep them in to do homework on this night[msnwink]

eclipsed
31-10-2006, 17:21
Last year when I answered the door to older kids/teenagers and got asked 'trick or treat' I said trick and not one kid new what to do,they just looked at me and shrugged their shoulders and repeated 'trick or treat' holding their hands out.Same as every year I have a supply of sweets ready but surely the older kids ought to know the tradition.

dawn
31-10-2006, 19:17
I only have a supply of real kiddy type sweets, and any teenagers that come knocking will get the jelly babies[}:)]

Paula D-S
31-10-2006, 19:24
All done, webs, ghosts and skeletons are hanging all over the house.....food prepared and pumpkin as center piece which I must say I'm very proud of[msnsmile2]

Fran19
31-10-2006, 19:49
We only give sweets too and yes, the older kids do expect money!! I, too, was listening to the kids they interviewed on TV about "Mischief Night". I have never heard of this before and as to what they intended to do for "mischief", it amounts to criminal damage and I think the Police should be keeping a watchout for those kids. The tv station has footage of this and the Police can obviously see the faces of the culprits. They were saying they intended smashing bus windows! Great what some kinds believe they can get away with, isn't it? I do believe it goes back to how they are brought up though and if any of those kids thought they would get punished by their parents, I don't think they would be standing there saying what they did, let alone doing any of it! It really spoils the whole thing for the little ones, who just want to dress up a bit and have some fun.

CarolAnn
31-10-2006, 22:14
I would prefer it if we had truely got into the whole !Halloween! thing here, but we still seem to just "toy" with the idea. When Taylor was 5 years old we took her trick or treating around our friends neighbourhood in Santa Monica, as it was topical she was dressed as "Geri from the Spice Girls!!" She was real cute in her Union Jack dress, and the houses we went to just adored her and the fact that we were from the Uk!! We were invited into homes that were all dressed up (including the parents waiting for children to come back, it was really lovely and the effort made by people was just like Christmas :)
Here, sadly we still have more "fear" of who will knock at the door,oh and there are "written" trick or treat rules that people don't follow here, like do not call at a house that is not decorated for Halloween, or with the lights off at the front!! Perhaps one day we will embrace the holiday full on as it was meant to be, because personally, I LOVE how they celebrate this time in the US!!
BTW. So far, no one here, so that will be more candy for me!!:D:D:D HAPPY HALLOWEEN[clap]

kitty
31-10-2006, 22:50
We only give sweets or littke toys to the young ones,i have 3 pumpkins out on my ledge on top of the door,house all decorated,and had a few gangs of young[msnsmile2] children all with parents so it makes it all worth while

MarkJan
01-11-2006, 02:14
After going to watch the Liverpool vs Bordeaux match, the little dears near where I parked my car egged the windscreen and side windows and smashed the windscreen. Joy of joys.

mizzy
01-11-2006, 02:35
well i am all done and dusted for another year, i say another year but i think it will be the last for my children

i live in a very quiet area and there are very few children nearby, my nephew has been really rude to one of my neighbours tonight and i am very upset that he wasn't asked to apologise by the brother in law, so my daughter apologised which she should not have had to do[msnmad]

i've just been told all about it by my dh and i'm not a happy bunny at all

Mizzy

SDJ
01-11-2006, 03:42
I heard on the radio today that the UK public spent £5,000,000 five years ago on Halloween decorations. It is £180,000,000 upto now this year!!! The traders must be laughing all the way to the bank.

Sandra

pepsi
01-11-2006, 04:49
Just come in from our local pub who have held a halloween party along with Karoke (not sure of the spelling). I am not a big fan of Karoke so this spoilt the night for me but I am sure others had a good time. Still abit jet lagged as we did not arrive back from Orlando until 8.30 this morning so this may have had something to do with my lack of enthusiaum especially as it is back to work tomorrow.

davidrodgie
01-11-2006, 05:11
We were in Florida last year for halloween, it was great they really celebrate it well, the decorations are brill. Our kids went trick or treating with friends we have over there, everyone was sitting waiting outside there front doors for the kids a bit different from here. :(

01-11-2006, 10:27
Not one knock on the door last night - that's a first for the last few years[msnwink]

LiesaAnna
01-11-2006, 11:26
didnt have as many at my door either, very strange really as it was quite a nice evening weather wise!
i still have some sweets left!!!
looking forward to next years halloween as we will be buying some lovely things in florida !!!

Ray&Sarah
01-11-2006, 11:45
We had about half a dozen knocks at the door, very low compared to previous years, still my boys are happy lots of sweets left for them to munch. I don't let them go trick or treating as I think they are too old and would intimidate people just by their size.[msneek] Mean mother.[msnwink]:D

caroline
01-11-2006, 12:24
Our 15 year old went out trick or treating with his mates - they started by knocking on the doors of friends who have younger children - had a blast pretending to scare the parents in front of the kids and ended up taking all the little ones round with them - how did I find out about it? One of the parents just called to thank me as their kids said it was the best halloween ever! Declan never said a word when he came home last night.

becbecs
01-11-2006, 12:43
We had quite a few trick or treaters last night, as I can't believe how many sweets we don't have left this morning.

dawn
01-11-2006, 13:15
My eldest went round a friends, and I took my youngest out with his friend, and when we got back some yobs who were obviously upset at not getting an answer from the door decided to 'trash' my children's pumpkins which we left outside - one of the reasons I am not a big fan of Halloween:(

Pat M
01-11-2006, 15:49
we had quite a few small children around a lot with parents so it was really nice my hubby had a scary mask on and a big knife with blood running down the blade and as the kids were putting their hands in the sweetie pumpkin he was holding the knife to their hands they were terrified but he took the mask off and let them get their sweets, (i dont know if they were more frightened before or after he took off the mask :D) although we dont have any small children i just like doing it for the kids who come round pat

eagleydo
01-11-2006, 20:19
Halloween was quiet here, only one group, really disappointed. Lots of sweets and crisps left over, must get some outside decs from Florida next year maybe that will encourage them. My daughter took my young grandson out for his very first time trick or treating, her and her friends were all devils amd he was a pirate. One very happy lad at the end of the evening, lots and lots of sweets, he thought it was great.

LiesaAnna
01-11-2006, 22:05
Jan, thats what we said, Target had some super ones last year as did walmart, much better then those sold here!! it was an all in all very quiet night round here

Ray&Sarah
01-11-2006, 23:09
I think it would be great if we adopted the "lights on and decorations out" knock on the door, "Lights out at the front" don't knock on the door, policy. Everyone would know where they stood then and those that get fed up with knock after knock at the door wouldn't have this problem.[msnsmile2]