PDA

View Full Version : Our Next Trip

chrisj
20-08-2003, 00:14
Our next trip is almost sorted, Come out end of July for 2 weeks.

Only prob is that we have just under a year to wait., Best part is
Martin will have a cold beer waiting for me (heheheheh). This time
I will be pestering you all for other ideas as we only want to do
2 or 3 theme park days, Rest of the time we want to see other places

Chris

chrisj
29-08-2003, 02:22
Well almost sorted, waiting for one email reply and one phone call and
if all ok we are back next july for 3 weeks. Woohooo. Cant wait.

Will then pester for other ideas, and will use the 192 all the time (sorry John)
cos I just love that road, and just think, 3 weeks to go to wal mart

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
29-08-2003, 02:23
Sounds good Chris - hopefully the time will fly by :D

chrisj
29-08-2003, 02:29
Im sure it will, we like everyone else has to start to think about xmas etc and
once thats over the countdown really begins.

mikewj
29-08-2003, 03:08
We've got the three weeks in June next year.....cant wait now.

Taking some people to help with the babysitting too !

On the subject of other things to do, we'll be spending a couple of nights in Key West during the three weeks. It helps to break the Orlando experience up a bit.

If you've never been, its well worth the journey (about 7 hrs each way). We've done it a few times (last November we did it in a day!) and there's plenty of things to occupy a couple of days.

chrisj
29-08-2003, 03:28
Thanks, thats a great idea. We are planning a few days to go to Treasure island, we spent
our honeymoon there and want to go back for a few days.

Key west, yep thats added now so thanks for the tip.

Carla
29-08-2003, 05:45
Chrisj, you might want to rethink Key West. The Keys are not the best place to be in the middle/end of July!! It will be so hot. They come into their own between October and March/April.

mikewj
29-08-2003, 12:53
We've been a few times in June and its never been that hot.

Wouldn't have thought the temps would rise that much in July !

chrisj
29-08-2003, 13:42
Thanks Carla

Mind you we have a year to work out what we are going to do, we have agreed we want to
see more of Florida than theme parks this time., Nothing wrong with the theme parks just
that we did them this time and so want to see other places etc

Carla
29-08-2003, 16:24
If you want to see more of Florida then why not take a short trip north and go to St.Augustine or Tallahassee? Apparently they are well worth the trip. I haven't been myself but will be doing so next June when we fly with BA into Atlanta, Georgia, and drive down to our villa. We intend to take a couple of days for the drive to see parts of Florida that we've never explored before and don't have quite so many tourists. We are flying home from Orlando airport, so what I don't see on the way down will have to wait for another trip.

chrisj
29-08-2003, 18:03
That sounds a great idea, Ive been searching the net for places of interest, the list
is getting bigger all the time.

chrizzy100
29-08-2003, 19:16
quote:Originally posted by Carla

If you want to see more of Florida then why not take a short trip north and go to St.Augustine or Tallahassee? Apparently they are well worth the trip. I haven't been myself but will be doing so next June when we fly with BA into Atlanta, Georgia, and drive down to our villa. We intend to take a couple of days for the drive to see parts of Florida that we've never explored before and don't have quite so many tourists. We are flying home from Orlando airport, so what I don't see on the way down will have to wait for another trip.

I'm driving down (again)...with my parents in March.....we're going to do a sightseeing tour all the way down.......its going to be like being a kid again....traveling with just my parents....hehehe

chrisj
29-08-2003, 19:32
How long will it take you Chrizzy ??

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
29-08-2003, 20:38
St Augustine is beautiful and well worth the visit - it's been a while since I was last there but have fond memories of it :D. Not *that* far to drive from Orlando too!

Cowboy
29-08-2003, 21:50
We have been to Middle Keys (Islamorada) on 4 occasions now,April, May x 2 and September. The April visit was for 4 days in 2000 when we drove down after buying our plot at Ashley Manor and started to get things moving, and it was really hot (for us)--over 90 degrees every day. I think one thing to remember is that as the main attraction of The Keys is fishing, boating and water sports, the season runs from November to March. They tend to be busy at weekends when many Americans from the Miami area go to fish and party.
They are a beautiful part of Florida but we must try St. Augustines in October. How long was the drive from Crescent Lakes, John. Did you see sufficient in one day?

Mike.

chrizzy100
29-08-2003, 22:00
quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk

St Augustine is beautiful and well worth the visit - it's been a while since I was last there but have fond memories of it :D. Not *that* far to drive from Orlando too!

One of my neigbours just got a condo there.....he loves the place.....we can use his condo at the weekends..its on a lake....now I need to find a neigbour with a place in the Keys......hehehehehehe

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
29-08-2003, 22:43
Has anyone flown down to the Keys? I know that a couple of people on this site have flown themselves in light-aircraft but I was thinking of one of the carriers like Southwest. If you have could you post your opinion(s)- thanks.

Sarah

PS My ideal would be to charter a Learjet but I'll have to wait until I'm rich and famous for that! [8D]

chrisj
30-08-2003, 15:09
Lear Jet now that would be nice

Anyway just heard from Wife, We now have the villa confirmed for
3 weeks, we have the outbound flights reserved and waiting for
the return flights to be released.

Not sorted a car yet, but will do once the flights have been
done

Then she tells me to start saving up. Typical

Harmony
30-08-2003, 17:34
We plan to visit St.Augustine in the New Year. Has anyone got any ideas for a place to stay over night in St.Augustine?

Jeff

Carla
30-08-2003, 17:56
I haven't done any research on a place to stay overnight yet Jeff. If you find somewhere lovely would you please let me know? I am particularly looking for somewhere typically "old style" American that you might see in the movies!! Am taking my 16 year old daughter and 3 of her girl friends, so would rather stay somewhere like that, than in a typical "chain" type hotel.

Tracey
30-08-2003, 18:05
I've got this in my 'Florida file',

http://www.oldcity.com/sites/kenwood/

blott
30-08-2003, 18:11
St Augustine is a great and interesting place to visit or stay for a few days. Try http://www.oldcity.com/ for area info. The trip from Crescent Lakes takes about 2 - 2.5 hours if I remember correctly so if you set off relatively early, you could easily do it in a day trip.

I would have thought that the best places to stay would be within the oldest (historic) part of the area and you'll find some info on the above link. The Casa Monica hotel sounds good!

Don't forget to take the little train ride around the town...

chrisj
15-09-2003, 22:39
Well I can now say we have got it all booked, end of July next year for 3 weeks

So Chrizzy, stoke the barbie and Martin can now chill the beer

Will work on what to do this time, but wow we have 21 days to fill, so this is
going to be fun. No doubt will have to ask Blott and John/Sarah for directions
as they always know a better route than the ones I took :D.

Its so far away :(

coombsyl
17-09-2003, 20:12
I heard there was now a ferry from Miami to Key West. Does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks

chrisj
17-09-2003, 22:22
Ive read something about that, but cant remember where ive seen it. We would be interested
which is why I remember it.

chrisj
30-09-2003, 23:02
Sorry have a question, I know its been mentioned on here but cant find the thread

Our car hire comes with CDW LDW and SLI, is that enough ????

Ive seen some with UMP ? and unlimited Mileage, will check we have unlimited mileage
but wondered what UMP was and do we need it

caroline
30-09-2003, 23:31
Uninsured motorist protection - and yes you do need it!

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
30-09-2003, 23:32
UMP = uninsured motorist protection. Covers you if you get hit by a driver who is not insured. I'd recommend having it - our own car hire comes as standard with it :).

chrisj
30-09-2003, 23:33
Caroline

thanks think i will be on the phone first thing in the morning and get this sorted out

chrisj
30-09-2003, 23:36
John/ Sarah as above thanks, I will get this sorted, or if they are funny will cancel and
re-book. What annoys me is I read out to them the deal I could get and they said they would
match it. Now I have the paperwork, I see they havent matched it. Oh well

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
30-09-2003, 23:53
Did they match our prices Chris - or was it another site (just being nosey)?

chrisj
01-10-2003, 00:39
They matched your site but all I had to pay now was a deposit of £200, which was good
as being so close to xmas meant not much layout, but I will be on the phone tomorrow and
give them a piece of my mind.

actually just checked your site and you can now pay £25 deposit,and the rest 8 weeks before but when I was checking that wasnt the case

Will keep you updated, wont mention who yet if thats ok

Chris

chrisj
01-10-2003, 13:19
Ok spoke to the company and we have UMP and free tank of petrol 4 drivers all taxes
etc, just not on the paperwork, so they are going to send me my Voucher now that has
it listed. So have to wait for that.

Oh well that raised my blood pressure a bit :)