PDA

View Full Version : Flying Virgin with a 2 year old !

justa
19-08-2003, 15:14
Hi, I'm soon flying to Orlando with Virgin with 4 adults, a 11 yr, a 9 yr old and a 2 year old. Having done the Disney thing loads of times, I have never travlled with a 2 year old before, and wondered if anyone had any tips for a very nervous Mum !!??
I've heard there are mild sedatives you can give your child, and as he is quite an active child, I am interested, but again am a little worried at the side effects this could cause.

SHEEP
19-08-2003, 16:20
Hi we went in Feb with twin 16 month old girls forget sedatives for them i prescribe double doses for you:D:D,seriously just take plenty of things to do such as puzzles small toys etc lots of drinks and a big tip we got from this site is to keep little suprises throughout the flight in fact i think there is a complete section on flying with children oh and the best advice i got was to just relax after all its only a few hours isnt it:)

Tracy
19-08-2003, 23:52
We have 3 children currently aged, 12, 6 and 3, the eldest first went to Florida at 11 months, the middle one at 9 months and our yougest at 6 weeks.

They are all frequent flyers and we have no problems, Virgin are great, so are the cartoons and child frindly TV programmes.

We also always pack a small rucksack for each child which is full of brand new small surprises - ELC is very good for ideas. They aren't allowed to open this until we get on the plane, so this usually helps, especially with the younger ones. Just bring out one surpirse at a time and let thenm enjoy.

We also have plenty of lollies for the take off and landings.

millie
19-08-2003, 23:58
Hi there! We took our little girl on virgin to Florida in June when she was 21 months old. As she was under two she did not have her own seat which was a big mistake. We found that the outward journey was easier as she was not really tired and just played with little presents she got to open every half hour or so. (They also have CBeebies on the TV sets!!). The way back was a stress as she was tired and could not sleep. I did use Calpol before take off and half way through the flight to prevent sore ears and my GP recommended Piritin syrup for the drowsy effect but I did not try it.

One tip is to speak to the booking staff on the phone at virgin and get them to make you priority for bulkhead seats. They cannot allocate them till the flight check in but it helps. They are allocated on first come, first served basis so the earlier you go to check in the better. This helps a lot with a restless youngster. On the way back we turned up at checkin 2 hours early and were first in the queue. We took it in turns to get breakfast before we checked in. Because we checked in early not only did we get the seats we wanted but we also had time to go back out of the airport and spend the afternoon in Gatorland!

Overall it was not as bad as I expected and the staff on virign are so helpful. Happy flying!:D:D:D

chrisj
20-08-2003, 00:08
I think you might find Virgin charge £50 for the bulkhead seats now, they did a few weeks
ago. We were checking in and someone in front asked if they could have them. I heard the
lady tell them it would cost £50.

As for children, I know when ours were that young we took Calpol etc and lots of toys. We were
lucky as they fell asleep and we had no problems.

Chris

millie
22-08-2003, 00:39
We got our upgrade in June and I was not aware they had changed their policy. Its always worth checking the procedure with the people on the booking line. It may be different if you have an infant with you since they sit on your knee.

sammibabe
30-08-2003, 23:13
Our youngest was 17 months old when we flew with Virgin. She did not have her own seat which in hindsight might have been worth getting. She cried for about 2 hours before going to sleep. The staff, although couldn't do anything to help were wonderful and supportive as some people were tutting at the noise (nothing I could do about it though as there didn't seem to be any real cause). Luckily coming back there were some spare seats so the booking in people put one of them next to us for her and she slept most of the way home. Must admit I wouldn't be happy using a sedative, mild or otherwise.