PDA

View Full Version : more emmigrating questions

MTP
19-08-2003, 01:38
As some of you know, we are seriously considering emmigrating to the States. This has always been a dream for us, but as we are now considering it seriously we are trying to make sure that it is the right decision for us. This is especially important as it will cost us $65,000 for two years of college for me to obtain the necessary degree to work in the States (not to mention college exams, Nationals Board exams, State exams).

I would appreciate the views of those who have emmigrated to give their opinions. we have certain presumptions about the cost of living, schooling, lifestyle, etc., but i would be very grateful for your time on this matter.

Ta,

Euan

florida4sun
19-08-2003, 02:37
Can you explain how a degree would enable you to work in the USA. Would this be by a sponsored position.

Martin

florida4sun
19-08-2003, 02:53
Can you explain how a degree would enable you to work in the USA. Would this be by a sponsored position?

Martin

florida4sun
19-08-2003, 02:54
Can you explain how a degree would enable you to work in the USA. Would this be by a sponsored position?

Martin

chrizzy100
19-08-2003, 03:25
quote:Originally posted by MTP

As some of you know, we are seriously considering emmigrating to the States. This has always been a dream for us, but as we are now considering it seriously we are trying to make sure that it is the right decision for us. This is especially important as it will cost us $65,000 for two years of college for me to obtain the necessary degree to work in the States (not to mention college exams, Nationals Board exams, State exams).

I would appreciate the views of those who have emmigrated to give their opinions. we have certain presumptions about the cost of living, schooling, lifestyle, etc., but i would be very grateful for your time on this matter.

Ta,

Euan

If you're in work....and have good healthcare...America's a great place to live and bring up kids....I'd do it again even with all the troubles we've had over the last year.....you only live once.......:D

MTP
19-08-2003, 03:33
Hi Martin,

I am an optometrist in the UK, and I have a UK BSc(Hons) degree. The equivalent in the US is the OD (Doctor of Optometry) degree. Normally this is a four year course, but the New England College of Optometry offer an international accelerated course for international optometrists. Anyway, with the qualification I could expand our UK business into the US.

I by a practice in the States and emplo an optometrist to work in it, thereby getting round having to get the degree. However, I enjoy my work and would be frustrated if I could not practice. There are many other aspects of having our own business that I enjoy. I also know of practices in the UK where this sort of situation exists. You are, however, reliant on getting an optometrist to work for you and on their quality of work. I would rather be more independant and self-reliant.

I have considered looking at other businesses. I did have a meeting with an immigration lawyer in London about a year ago and discussed all of the permutations. He made the valid point that the emmigration is a big enough change, in many ways, to also change career at the same time would add to these changes. If Aileen and I could continue in our careers it would provide some kind of familiarity and constant.

Best wishes,

Euan

MTP
19-08-2003, 03:35
Chrizzy,

Our postings have crossed, but the healthcare issue is one that concerns us. One of us is obese and the other has epilepsy, well controlled, and we would want healthcare that paid out if necessary. Obviously we are concerned that it may be very costly.

Many thanks,

Euan

chrizzy100
19-08-2003, 03:46

Chrizzy,

Our postings have crossed, but the healthcare issue is one that concerns us. One of us is obese and the other has epilepsy, well controlled, and we would want healthcare that paid out if necessary. Obviously we are concerned that it may be very costly.

Many thanks,

Euan

Most of the cost of our healthcare is paid for by the company....it still costs us about $200 a month for the family.......$10 everytime we see the doc.....but we have no waiting around in the waiting room for hours which is a plus worth the cost.......I've heard if you already have an illness it cost a lot for healthcare....but I've only seen a doc once in 4 years over here....I treat myself I'm not one for docs anyway.....it would be a good idea to find out costs before moving......I've seen people here lose everything after a long illness.....its one of the downsides to living here.....

florida4sun
19-08-2003, 04:43
Ok I understand. One thing I do know is that if you are qualified to work on any park of the human body, you will make good money over here.
Reading on from your other posts. I think you need to be creful about healthcare. You will not get coverage for existing conditions. They but at stupid rates. I know someone with diabetes and the coverage would be over 20k per year.
You would be able to get covered on a company policy, we looked into this but you also have to offer it to your staff and pay for them. They have to take you lock stock and barrel but the rates are very high.

Martin

Hi Martin,

I am an optometrist in the UK, and I have a UK BSc(Hons) degree. The equivalent in the US is the OD (Doctor of Optometry) degree. Normally this is a four year course, but the New England College of Optometry offer an international accelerated course for international optometrists. Anyway, with the qualification I could expand our UK business into the US.

I by a practice in the States and emplo an optometrist to work in it, thereby getting round having to get the degree. However, I enjoy my work and would be frustrated if I could not practice. There are many other aspects of having our own business that I enjoy. I also know of practices in the UK where this sort of situation exists. You are, however, reliant on getting an optometrist to work for you and on their quality of work. I would rather be more independant and self-reliant.

I have considered looking at other businesses. I did have a meeting with an immigration lawyer in London about a year ago and discussed all of the permutations. He made the valid point that the emmigration is a big enough change, in many ways, to also change career at the same time would add to these changes. If Aileen and I could continue in our careers it would provide some kind of familiarity and constant.

Best wishes,

Euan