PDA

View Full Version : Take your swimsuit!

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
01-02-2002, 01:45
If yo have small children and are visiting Gatorland, take their swimwear and a towel. There is a great area think it's called 'Lily's Pad'. Here there are fountains etc. It would be a shame to miss out.

Sarah

-----------------
John Rooke

roger
01-02-2002, 18:29
Our children really enjoyed the water play area. We were not kitted out for the water and got soaked!

---------------
Roger

orlandobabe
12-02-2002, 14:23
We've only ever visited Gator Land once on our first visit 12 years ago-when really it was nothing but an undisguised gator farm.

Obviously a few things have changed! Is it worth a visit-and is it worth telling guests to go for a visit

Orlandobabe

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
12-02-2002, 17:53
Gatorland is worth a visit especially if you have children who are fascinated by gators (as our 3 year old is:)).

It was looking a bit shabby last July when we went but was still worth a visit. We would recommend you set aside no more than half a day for it as there is not enough to keep you occupied all day.

Good news is villa owners can get an all year pass for the same price as a normal day pass (or at least you could when we went).

john

imported_n/a
11-09-2002, 15:48
Gatorland was originally opened as a Gator farm but it is now a zooligical conservation park - some 5000 gators in 55 acres!

Typical of Florida "edutainment" and you can ask questions and get really in depth answers from any of the guides - swamp suited employees!

Great live show with alligator wrestling.

Can take a picnic but no alcohol will be allowed in the park, or glass.

Karen
14-09-2002, 20:42
We went for the first time this year, and we enjoyed it. There were quite a few other animals other than aligators. Our son liked the turtles and I liked the flamingoos. Our son, Aaron loved "Lily's Pad"
Kept him happy for ages.

Karen

chris
18-09-2002, 13:09
We had our photo taken holding a baby alligator and with a snake draped round our necks. Sorry it's not on CD and I don't possess a scanner yet(much to the consternation of the children) so cant send it in for a caption comp.
We also spent a fortune buying hotdogs to feed the alligators with (a bit like feeding the ducks in the park except they've got bigger mouths to aim at!)

Chris

esprit
18-09-2002, 20:23
Just a point for anyone would be holiday makers reading this, these gators being fed hotdogs were in a sort of zoo. Feeding alligators in the wild is a "no-no" because the gators come to associate humans with food and that is dangerous and can lead to them attacking children or in some cases even adults. So feed them in Gatorland but not the ones you see around the lakes.

Julie Carty

orlandobabe
16-06-2003, 02:02
We had a visit this year and thoroughly enjoyed it-and it was 100 times better than our first visit all of those years ago. There was a nice creekside walk where there were lots of whote birds(snowy egrets?) nesting.

Also a parrot who did talk. Definitely well worth a visit-if you fancy something a bit quieter than the Disney/Universal parks for a change.

miken848
13-08-2003, 21:33
I JUST WANTED TO KNOW IF THERE WAS ANY OTHER PLACES NEAR ORLANDO TO SEE GATORS OR IF THERE WAS ANY PLACE CLOSE TO THERE TO SEE THEM IN THERE NATURAL ENVIORMENT . THANKS

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
13-08-2003, 21:53
We have lots of Gators in the lakes between the villas at Crescent Lakes (where both of our villas are).

You can see them basking in the sun on the banks of the lakes wheh it is warm - obviously keep your distance from them and don't do anything to annoy them and they will be perfectly ok.

Gillian-B
14-08-2003, 02:50
As well as Gatorland, I think there used to be a "gator park" on the US192 but I'm not sure if it's still there? Gatorland is a fun place to spend a half day and at the back, there is a more "natural" setting where you can watch the gators from a viewing tower. It's a long time since I've been to Gatorland so my memory is a bit hazy!

Gillian

chrisj
14-08-2003, 03:04
I can vouch for the gators in the lakes at Crescent lakes, we were there 2 weeks ago
and saw quite a few in the lake behind the villa we stayed in.

Chris

millie
15-08-2003, 01:44
This is a great play area but when we were ther my little girl wanted to play on the slides next to it. Unfortunately they were red hot as they are in the sun and she could not go on!

mjb
15-08-2003, 09:10
On the subject of taking swimsuit to this park - I think it's a good idea to take and wear swimsuits to all the parks. If you're going on a ride that you know you're going to get wet you can quickly whip off your t-shirt and know that at least you'll have something dry to put on later. If you don't get wet at the parks then at least you'll be ready to jump straight into the pool as soon as you arrive back home to the hotel or villa!

:D

chrisj
15-08-2003, 12:26
We did that with our 2 kids, They had swim suits on in the parks and we had a change
of clothes left in the car so they could change for the journey home. We thought we were
really clever doing this.

Afraid we forgot about ourselves the first day, which was funny. But from then on we always
had a small bag in the boot with a fresh tshirt/shorts each

CarolAnn
13-08-2004, 23:02
I so must go to Gaterland:)Never been, even with about 14 trips to the area, shame on me [msnscared]

Nostromo
14-08-2004, 02:59
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by CarolAnn
I so must go to Gaterland:)Never been, even with about 14 trips to the area, shame on me [msnscared]
[/quote]

It is a really worthwhile visit for about 4 hours. If you have a late evening flight, an idea would be to clear out of the villa after breakfast, go to Gatorland for a few hours and then continue to the airport.:)

CarolAnn
09-09-2004, 19:49
What a good idea Nostromo, Thanks:)

george
13-08-2005, 13:20
We went to Gatorland for the first time this year in June (only taken us 17 years). We thoroughly enjoyed it's a great half day out and you can get your ticket upgraded to a yearly pass for a few dollars. We will definately be popping back there in September for a few hours.

chris c
13-08-2005, 14:12
This is our granddaughter at Gatorland!

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/chris c/2005813101241_077.jpg

LiesaAnna
13-08-2005, 15:30
lovely photo:)

dawn
13-08-2005, 16:32
Great photo - where exactly is Gatorland, I know I have passed it before, but can't remember where[msnembarrased]

blott
13-08-2005, 16:46
Gatorland is on OBT (Orange Blossom Trail), before you you get to Tupperware, and is on the same side of the road.

eagleydo
13-08-2005, 18:37
Lovely picture, have to say a bit cruel really. Imagine when she grows up, Mum and Dad show off her baby pics to prospective hubby, "and this is when her grandarents tried feeding her to the gators". Watch him leg it out of the door!:D:D:D

chris c
13-08-2005, 18:39
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by eagleydo
Lovely picture, have to say a bit cruel really. Imagine when she grows up, Mum and Dad show off her baby pics to prospective hubby, "and this is when her grandarents tried feeding her to the gators". Watch him leg it out of the door!:D:D:D
[/quote]

It's actually her Mum holding her in the gator's jaws!!
Grandma wouldn't be that cruel!
[msnsmile2][msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

eagleydo
13-08-2005, 19:37
Mum!!! that's terrible[msnwink] future boyfriends beware!!

philgrove
16-08-2005, 14:04
Great photo. We went to Gatorland for the first time in May we loved it ,will go back again next time.
we have the photo of William and Lacey holding the baby Gator and the Snake. We had the picture on the mouse mat so looking at it right now. FANTASTIC[8D][8D]
The water area was not open when we went but looked great fun.
We always take swimsuits or change of clothes everywhere with us when we our in Florida.

jovi
24-05-2006, 12:29
Here is a pic of my two at gatorland May 2004.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/jovi/200652482838_654B04C3-EC3A-0CE9-DE1B16B9010E4BE5.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/jovi/200652482854_65476532-B77D-6B53-8098844293D6F35E.jpg

kokomo
24-05-2006, 12:36
Great photo's Christine and Vicky.

cad-properties
24-05-2006, 13:36
Lovely Photos.

We quite often checkin our bags at Downtown Disney (If travelling Virgin) and then to Gatorland before coming home.

Beware though - there is a reptile show and they were asking for volunteers so I was pointing to Hubby - and - yes they picked me as punishment. I had to hold the bottom end of a huge yellow snake !!! I had to do it as my 4 year old son was watching and I knew that he would do it, so I had to be brave [msnscared]

Clair.
http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/495.aspx

dawn
24-05-2006, 13:45
I still haven't made it to Gatorland, but must do it next time, it sounds as if it is something my 5 year old boy will LOVE!

jackie greaves
26-05-2006, 16:57
Dawn, you MUST do gatorland, you are missing out on so much. I love it there.

ShirleyD
26-05-2006, 20:31
Christine, I have a photo of my 2 year old on that gator....thing is he is now 18!!!

He was also allowed to ride a huge tortoise, don't know if it is still there. We have been meaning to go back :D

pbensur
26-05-2006, 22:51
Gatorland is a fantastic 1/2 day attraction. We've been there 3 times and they seem to keep adding and improving. Don't miss the shows - I think there were about 4 different ones last time we were there. Some of the exhibits are really exceptional - my kids loved getting to go inside with the lorikeets and feeding them.

bargainqueen
30-06-2006, 10:04
The giant tortoise is still there. We went last year and he/she was near the side of the pen. Other visitors were tapping it on the shell but I spent some time stroking it under the chin which it seemed to enjoy. Could have stayed there all day but MOH gets restless standing in one place too long.