PDA

View Full Version : The Year of a Million Dreams begins

MTP
09-10-2006, 03:00
Found this report:

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (Oct. 4, 2006) – For the first time in history, a family today had the Magic Kingdom all to themselves. They entered the park to a view never seen before by any Disney guest – Main Street, U.S.A. completely empty, no other guests, no Disney cast members, just a red carpet stretching out a welcome.

The family had their pick of favorite attractions. There were no lines. Because no one else was there.

This unprecedented moment in Disney history was all part of the launch of Disney's "The Year of a Million Dreams" celebration, during which literally millions of dreams will come true at Florida's Walt Disney World Resort and California's Disneyland Resort.

"The Year of a Million Dreams" is a first-of-its-kind event celebrating the individual dreams of Disney Park guests from around the world. So Disney made the Spangler family from Randolph, Ohio – winners of an online sweepstakes used to help kick off the celebration – the ultimate, one-of-a-kind Magic Kingdom VIPs. Disney Parks literally rolled out the red carpet for the Spanglers on Main Street, U.S.A. at Walt Disney World Resort.

But there were more surprises in store. As the Spanglers reached the center of Main Street, U.S.A., fanfare trumpeters broke the morning silence from atop the buildings lining the street and the familiar strains of "Be Our Guest" began to play – a signal for a whole lot of smiles. Appearing almost magically to form a receiving line fit for royalty were 1,500 Disney cast members and Disney characters, beaming and bubbly.

For the Spanglers, their morning was nothing short of incredible. In a park that hosts millions of guests each year, Magic Kingdom attendance was four as Ray and Tammy Spangler and their children, 13-year-old Derick and 11-year-old Ashley, walked toward Cinderella Castle between rows of smiles lining the red carpet. "It was amazing," said Ashley. Derick chimed in, "That was awesome!" With their Disney VIP host leading the way, they rode their favorite attractions, met their favorite Disney characters, appeared on ABC-TV's "Good Morning America" and lived out a dream.

"This is beyond the dream," Ray said. "This is something that you can't even think of dreaming of, yet we have it."

As the lands of the park filled in behind them with other guests, the Spanglers dined with Disney royalty in Cinderella Castle during A Fairytale Lunch at Cinderella's Royal Table and were named grand marshals for the "Disney Dreams Come True" parade. They were to conclude the day with an "unbirthday party" inspired by the "Alice in Wonderland" story and then enjoy exclusive viewing of the Magic Kingdom fireworks spectacular "Wishes."

For Tammy Spangler, winning this most remarkable experience was a dream-come-true – but one she figured was probably a proverbial "pipedream" when she entered the sweepstakes.

"I hardly ever enter these things," she said, "but Disney's the most fun we've ever had on vacation, so when I discovered the contest when I was [online], I entered it. But I really didn't figure we'd win, not in a million years."

But this is "The Year of a Million Dreams" and the Spanglers won't be the only ones finding their dreams come true at Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort.

During "The Year of a Million Dreams" celebration, literally millions of dreams will come true.

"Our guests the world over have told us they believe a Disney Park is the place ‘where dreams come true' and that something magical happens when they walk through our gates," said Jay Rasulo, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. "And that's never been more true than during ‘The Year of a Million Dreams' as we bring more magic to life than ever before."

Dreams to surprise and delight guests and unique experiences will be hallmarks of "The Year of a Million Dreams."

As part of the celebration, extra

KarenScott
09-10-2006, 10:44
sounds fab:D

i hope i get a tap on the shoulder[clap]

CERICROWLEY
09-10-2006, 12:30
This is only open to US residents

steph_goodrum
09-10-2006, 13:27
The mail in ones may be but the rest of it is open to anyone in the Parks at the time.

nicseg
10-10-2006, 14:33
What a fabulous day. My wife would spend all day on the Peter Pan ride. [msncool]
Nic

Nikki D
26-04-2007, 22:11
WOW
How fantastic would it be to go to an empty park? I wonder how long it would take you to get round the park with no Lines to wait in :D That would be my idea of heaven

LiesaAnna
27-04-2007, 01:31
this happened to our friends on their first ever trip to florida eatser this year!!!
their grandaughter Kirsty was sitting at a certian bench at downtown disney when suddenly she had disney staf all excited and jumping for joy as Kirsty was the millionth person or something to have sat there!!!
she won $500 to spend in the disney princess shop, they made an archway of hands and all the family had to walk under it! of course the disney team weree making such a fuss, (as they do):D they had a personal shopper, and thouroughly enjoyed their time there, shame it was the last day but made memories to last forever, apparently another person sitting there won a cruise!!!
they had such a fabulous time there and are now thinking of going back in 4 years!!!!

(they had to sign away all rights to pictures and videos so could be used in adverts/magazines!)

Nikki D
27-04-2007, 01:56
I think I would cry if something like that happened to me. How fantastic with it being their first time too. Their very lucky and wont forget that in a hurry.

owen3
27-04-2007, 13:31
It is fantastic for the family that gets picked. But i dont suppose that it will happen to us.
Barbara

LiesaAnna
27-04-2007, 13:44
its nicer where you know someone who its happened to if its not for yourself!!! im still buzzing for them!!

brizzle
30-04-2007, 14:22
We got it too on this latest trip, not quite as good but very unexpected.

We'd promised the girls a treat from the Candy Cauldron at Downtown Disney. After a brief look through the window where they create the toffee apples etc... in front of you we went in.

As we were selecting the jelly beans the woman came over and asked if they'd like to help.
So the children were whisked off out back and we were guided to the shop window again.
As we watched they came in with their chef hats on and were given aprons.
They then proceded to make chocolate covered marshmallows on sticks as a crowd gathered ('ah, aren't they cute'...yeah right!!!).

Eldest daughter managed a quick wave to the crowd but the youngest froze when she saw the faces peering at her from outside, quietest she was all holiday...[msnsmile2].

Back inside and they were given the choco-marshmallows and the 'Dream' certificate.

A little but surreal but a wonderful surprise.

Lynne S
30-04-2007, 14:37
That sounds great Neil, I bet your girls loved it.
Any photos ? :)

LiesaAnna
30-04-2007, 15:30
awww sounds lovely!

brizzle
30-04-2007, 15:30
I did take one picture but it was tricky because it was evening and we were the other side of the glass so flash pictures weren't great.

I only took this one, then decided to just take video using the camera which came out pretty good.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/brizzle/2007430113032_candy.jpg

LiesaAnna
30-04-2007, 17:08
awww how sweet, :D

Lynne S
30-04-2007, 17:17
Thanks Neil, they look very important with hats & gloves on. Did they get to lick the bowl after ? [msnwink][msnwink][msnwink]

mizzy
30-04-2007, 17:34
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by brizzle
I did take one picture but it was tricky because it was evening and we were the other side of the glass so flash pictures weren't great.

I only took this one, then decided to just take video using the camera which came out pretty good.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/brizzle/2007430113032_candy.jpg
[/quote]

that's so lovely for them Brizzle, must be a wonderful memory for you all the share[msnsmile]

Marie

eagleydo
30-04-2007, 22:35
Neil, what a great memory for them, definately one of those magical moments[clap]

SunLover
31-07-2007, 14:09
Errrm... this report is dated 2006 ?

Is that a typo, or just an old report ?

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (Oct. 4, 2006) – For the first time in history, a family today had the Magic Kingdom all to themselves. They entered the park to a view never seen before by any Disney guest – Main Street, U.S.A. completely empty, no other guests, no Disney cast members, just a red carpet stretching out a welcome.

Stuart Bairstow
31-07-2007, 20:55
Spooky

MTP
02-08-2007, 05:18
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by SunLover

[/quote]

I think it is just typical of Disney stretching out their promotions. A year is not necessarily a year[msnwink]

brizzle
02-08-2007, 23:47
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by SunLover

[/quote]

The report quoted was dated Oct 4th 2006
The original post was Oct 8th 2006 but the thread has been bumped this year.

The original post was reporting on a new report, as far as I can see. No typo and I've being trying to spot one :)