PDA

View Full Version : A part from palm trees

chrizzy100
15-08-2003, 21:14
What else looks nice......I'll looking at ornamental grasses....do they do well.....?

Karen
19-08-2003, 14:48
Chrizzy, ornamental grasses do very well in my experience. We planted up a few more last year. I have attached a couple of photos of ones outside our villa for you to see.

/forums/Data/2003819104735_Ornimental-Grasses-by-Front.jpg

/forums/Data/2003819104843_Plants-at-side-of-house.jpg

chrizzy100
19-08-2003, 18:44
Thank you....I have the same ones planted here....they die each winter with the cold......if I'm lucky they regrow....:)

We have a large garden here....so we looked for a smaller plot in FL...I like to garden but with a bad back its getting to much.....

Karen
20-08-2003, 01:06
Plus it is too hot in the summer to be outside gardening for long, though I did quite a bit last June when we were out there. The good news is the grasses do not die back in winter in Florida (well, not to my knowledge) so they look good all year. Well, thats the plan anyway. I will find out if it works when we go out at Christmas:D

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
20-08-2003, 11:31
Hi Chrizzy
There is quite a good gardening section on the orlando sentinel website. topical tips etc about what's best in a Floridian back yard.
Happy gardening
Sarah

chrizzy100
20-08-2003, 19:16
quote:Originally posted by Karen

Plus it is too hot in the summer to be outside gardening for long, though I did quite a bit last June when we were out there. The good news is the grasses do not die back in winter in Florida (well, not to my knowledge) so they look good all year. Well, thats the plan anyway. I will find out if it works when we go out at Christmas:D

I was thinking about the heat too...its very hot and very humid here part of the summer.....you sweat just getting the mail in....my friends doing the back when we move down for good....building the screen... hot tub....and making me have a pool...just so he can use it.....LOL...so I'll just leave the grass out there....but I've asked if I can have input in what goes in the front garden from the builder he seems happy with that..........

chrizzy100
20-08-2003, 19:21
quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk

Hi Chrizzy
There is quite a good gardening section on the orlando sentinel website. topical tips etc about what's best in a Floridian back yard.
Happy gardening
Sarah

Cool thank you.....I'm just getting this garden how I like it.....then we'll most likely sell up....I'm just happy that this time with the new Villa I don't have to wait for a new bathroom/kitchen....and nice garden....get it ...then move.....

Karen
21-08-2003, 01:36
Chrizzy, I know what you mean. We did nothing on the house that we live in for 10 years, thought about moving,looked around but could not find anything we prefered, so decided to extend. 10 years later my husband is still working on it, but is getting itchy feet again!

He would really like to move to Florida, but I like just going there for holidays, so we will see! Where is it you live at the moment?

Does you friend do screens for a living? Just wondered as there are quite a few of us that would like to extended our deck area and we are looking for someone who can do it:)

Sarah, thanks for that tip. I will take a look too. I can never find a good book when we have been out in Florida about the best plants for central Florida. Well, not yet anyway:)

chrizzy100
21-08-2003, 04:40

Chrizzy, I know what you mean. We did nothing on the house that we live in for 10 years, thought about moving,looked around but could not find anything we prefered, so decided to extend. 10 years later my husband is still working on it, but is getting itchy feet again!

He would really like to move to Florida, but I like just going there for holidays, so we will see! Where is it you live at the moment?

Does you friend do screens for a living? Just wondered as there are quite a few of us that would like to extended our deck area and we are looking for someone who can do it:)

Sarah, thanks for that tip. I will take a look too. I can never find a good book when we have been out in Florida about the best plants for central Florida. Well, not yet anyway:)

I live on Cape Cod in Mass.....:)

I don't know if Paul fits screens for a living.....he is a builder.....he's gone from building houses to schools etc just this week... I can ask.....he offered to do mine for me...so I will ask when I see him online....:)

Karen
21-08-2003, 15:50
Thanks, Chrizzy:)

chrizzy100
23-08-2003, 19:30

Thanks, Chrizzy:)

I'm still waiting to see him....but he was going to look at my Villa this weekend for me......I just got new pictures from the realtor......the place looks so big......I love getting the pictures......I think I could get hooked on having homes built......hehehehe......:D