PDA

View Full Version : Christmas food shopping

wrxppp
25-09-2006, 00:20
Hi
I am thinking of xmas in orlando (villa) being that I will arrive a couple of days before christmas, can anyone advise if food shopping ie turkey and the trimmings would be a difficulty given the time. Only I would love to do a big xmas dinner in the villa on christmas day.
Are there any ingrediants that would be difficult to get or that I could take out with me?

thanks
WRX

mfairhurst
25-09-2006, 01:21
You can get most thing for christmas dinner in WALMART I do not think chrismas puddings are there but they do a steamed one so you can put some fruit on it Turkey is in freezers and coolers also every veg you can buy in the world as multi nations are in FLORIDA so they cater for all even kelloggs cornflakes .Have a good christmas in the sun .
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

esprit
25-09-2006, 01:29
They dont do Xmas pud, Xmas cake, mince pies, sherry trifle or crackers. Bring the food with you ( trifle just a mix) and declare it at customs. They will usually let you bring it in for your own use. Not sure whether you will get crackers in? You can get turkey easily and sprouts and parsnips relatively easily at Xmas time. If you want English style stuffing, you can get a mix in the ethnic food departments of some stores or bring that with you as well or you can buy their style. Brandy sauce and butter you will need to make yourself.

Jill
25-09-2006, 02:43
You can take Christmas Crackers providing they are in a sealed box which has not been opened. Not surprisingly they have to go as hold luggage. We have taken them with us no problems as with Christmas Cake, mincemeat and puddings. I make my own and have the recipe with me to prove they have no meat in them.

Cruella DeVilla
25-09-2006, 06:01
I didn't think they would let you take crackers as they have explosives in them as such?
Christmas cake has fruit in it so I suppose that should be off limits too? Last year they were having a field day confiscating puddings and cakes as they contained said fruit and suet, I suppose it's who you get really!!

In reagrds to the original question. I cook Xmas dinner each year in the villa and I do my food shopping Xmas Eve, it is nothing like the frantic panics you get in UK supermarkets on Xmas Eve and you will be able to egt everything you need. I find Publix and Super Target have the nicest stuff.

esprit
25-09-2006, 06:52
Dried fruit is ok, only fresh fruit is prohibited see http://www.usembassy.org.uk/ukcust1.html but they can be iffy about suet, the vegetarian cakes and puds are best to be on the safe side.

dbrook
25-09-2006, 10:59
We cooked at home on Christmas Day but decided to have a BBQ instead of traditional Christmas lunch.

The wonderful thing was the supermarket was almost empty and no queueing on Christmas Day (Publix at Berry Town Centre on US 27). For once I enjoyed my Christmas food shop!

ShirleyD
25-09-2006, 13:07
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
I didn't think they would let you take crackers as they have explosives in them as such?
[/quote]

Just one box per passenger in original wrapping in the suitcase is the normal allowance. Who knows if it will change for this year, but if they were safe last year, I can't see why it should change

Jill
25-09-2006, 14:29
CDV - we were surprised that you could take crackers the first time we went we found them very difficult to find. Next year we checked with the airlines and TSA plus 'uncle Tom Cobley and all' and no one said no. The airline (BA) said that so long as they were sealed in the original wrapping and packed as hold luggage were fine, we have done this more than once.

Cruella DeVilla
26-09-2006, 18:31
That's interesting about the crackers. Saying that I don't see why you would want to bring them, convenience I suppose but you can buy them here (I am at the villa at the minute hence here) I managed to find some ldecent ones last year and they had decent gizzmos in them too.[xmas2]

george
27-09-2006, 03:29
Are you saying that Publix was open on Christmas Day or did you mean Christmas Eve ? We don't arrive at Tampa until about 7.30pm on Christmas Eve so if somewhere was open on Christmas Day it would be great !!!

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by dbrook
We cooked at home on Christmas Day but decided to have a BBQ instead of traditional Christmas lunch.

The wonderful thing was the supermarket was almost empty and no queueing on Christmas Day (Publix at Berry Town Centre on US 27). For once I enjoyed my Christmas food shop!
[/quote]

Cruella DeVilla
27-09-2006, 05:36
Just to confirm I found 7 different boxes of crackers today!! (Tom Smith).

zerotone
29-09-2006, 21:30
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by george
Are you saying that Publix was open on Christmas Day or did you mean Christmas Eve ? We don't arrive at Tampa until about 7.30pm on Christmas Eve so if somewhere was open on Christmas Day it would be great !!!

[/quote]
[/quote]
We also arrive late evening on xmas eve and wondered if anyone knows what time Walmarts/ Publix stay open until. I have e-mailed Walmart to ask but have received no reply.

Jane

nicseg
29-09-2006, 22:18
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by zerotone
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by george

[/quote]
[/quote]
We also arrive late evening on xmas eve and wondered if anyone knows what time Walmarts/ Publix stay open until. I have e-mailed Walmart to ask but have received no reply.

Jane
[/quote]
Jane
Does it say anything on their websites?
Nic

carolmc
29-09-2006, 22:34
From memory - Walmart closed at 8pm last Christmas Eve, and Publix closed at 6p.m.

wrpac00
09-10-2006, 20:05
What Carol said is correct. I had to find out this info for a renter I had last year who wasn't arriving until 9:30pm. In the end they sent me a shopping list and my MC got it in.

MTP
10-10-2006, 01:10
For Christmas Pud why not use an online supplier and order one to be delivered to your villa or the management company before you arrive. A quick google found this sample:

http://www.ukgoods.com/matthew-walker-classic-christmas-pudding-p-283.html

Susan J
10-10-2006, 13:23
For a good Xmas Dinner, head to PUblix [maybe you can even order online these days?] Deli and order a Christmas dinner for Xpeople. Pick up at chosen time on Xmas Eve [close at 6pm] you get a Turkey Crown pre cooked with instructions to warm it, Fresh cooked Mash, Stuffing, and Gravy, then you can buy Veg and cranberry sause etc separate. We did this at the villa once and it was marvellous. Everything came ready to go in the oven with cooking times on it.

Cruella DeVilla
10-10-2006, 17:12
I buy all my stuff at Publix on Xmas Eve, first year I was worried I would not get a Turkey....silly me! The pre bookable sounds a good idea for guests arriving late in the day Susan.