PDA

View Full Version : Captiva & Sanibel sea swimming prohibited

Katys Grandad
22-09-2006, 17:12
Most of the Captiva beaches and many of those on Sanibel have been declared 'unsafe' to swim off due to water pollution. The ban is likely to be temporary.

florida4sun
22-09-2006, 17:39
It will be the red tide algea, it's not pollution but a natural occuring algea that comes in on certain tides every now and then. Goes away pretty quickly. I have seen similar algeas in australia and thailand too.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
Most of the Captiva beaches and many of those on Sanibel have been declared 'unsafe' to swim off due to water pollution. The ban is likely to be temporary.

[/quote]

nicseg
22-09-2006, 18:48
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by florida4sun
It will be the red tide algea, it's not pollution but a natural occuring algea that comes in on certain tides every now and then. Goes away pretty quickly. I have seen similar algeas in australia and thailand too.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad

[/quote]
[/quote]

This happened when we were in Longboat Key a couple of years ago. We couldn't see anything different but the fishing was a bit slow[msnsad]

Ruth
22-09-2006, 19:20
A "red tide" arrived as we left the coast this summer. The only thing to see was some dead fish on the beach. It happens intermittently and usually does not last long. I think similar algae blooms can occur in freshwater lakes in the UK.

steph_goodrum
22-09-2006, 20:46
When we were at Reddington beach a couple of weeks ago there were literally thousands of dead fish along the beach and in the waters edge, we guessed it must be Red Tide and on tv a few days later they mentioned the number of turtles being brought into rescue centres suffering because of it. Although we didn't think there was a risk unless swimming in it, my husband and daughter walked along the waters edge and started coughing quite badly so it had obviously aggravated his asthma. It was only when they said it could cause breathing difficulties that we put 2 and 2 together.

It doesn't seem to take too long to clear, Cape Cod had it really bad last year and they had to shut some of the seafood fishing places as the shellfish become contaminated.

At least there's always plenty to do if you can't go in the sea for a while.

Mo Green
23-09-2006, 19:21
As Martin says it does not last for very long. This was taken on the beach at Captiva at the beginning of April this year when the water was beautiful.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Mo Green/2006923152019_Captivabeach.jpg

Katys Grandad
24-09-2006, 15:36
Well I hope not Maureen but I'm told it's been like this for several weeks. I was over here in April myself and there were some pretty bad days then.

I've been visiting these islands for many years and I have never seen anything like this. It's not even possible to enter the sea at some points because the weed and dead marine life is so stacked up. Every resident received an automated phone call warning of the health hazard and that hasn't happened before.

I'd post pictures but you really wouldn't want to see them.

Mo Green
24-09-2006, 22:46
It must be sad to see fish killed by the red tide. We have been going to the Gulf Coast four times a year for the past 6 years and never seen it. My brother returned this morning from two weeks in Rotonda and says there was a little at Englewood and Stump Pass beach when he arrived but it had gone before he left. Other beaches he visited along the Gulf Coast were fine. He did say he saw a report from Captiva/Sanibel Health authorities while he was there saying red tide had cleared completely for 6 weeks from the beginning of August but it had returned with three beaches unsuitable for swimming.