PDA

View Full Version : Discovery Cove

mjb
14-08-2003, 14:56
Can anyone help me decide about visiting Discovery Cove.

It's quite an expensive day isn't it? We'll be there in June 2004 and I don't know if there are the same storms as there are in July but it could cut the day short. I'm not that interested in swimming with the dolphins but the kids might be. Is there much else if you don't fancy the dolphin part?

Thanks
Jackie

Debs
14-08-2003, 19:15
Hi Jackie,

We are here in Florida at the moment and are visiting DC on Monday. Our friends have just come back after a 3 week visit. They visited all the parks and said that DC was the highlight of their holiday. The Dolphin swim was fantastic but the rest of the day was wonderful too -even the lunch surpassed their expectations. Apparently there is lots to do their apart from theDolphin swim which takes half an hour - it is all obviously based around water and swimming. Their overall opinion was yes it is expensive but it is an experience not to be missed - I will post after our visit on Monday [8D]

Cowboy
18-08-2003, 18:06
Jackie,
Our two daughters went to DC last May and said that initially it was expensive but it was well worth the cost. They spent a full day there and spoke about it for weeks. Included in the ticket price for DC are admission to Seaworld if you wish to go there.
If you do decide to go to DC you need to book well in advance. You will not get any discount tickets for DC but I think the ticket suppliers on this forum can help.
Mike.

dbrook
18-08-2003, 18:37
Perhaps someone can advise me on DC.

We were originally going to Orlando next July and promised the children we would take them to DC. However, we have changed plans and are now going over Christmas 2004 but they will be devestated if they cannot do the dolphin swim!

Has anyone experienced Discovery Cove at Christmas time. My worry is that if the weather is not good then I will have wasted a lot of money for 5 of us as I would imagine it is a bit unpredictable at Christmas time! Any advice very much appreciated!

Cowboy
19-08-2003, 00:06
Diane,
December is usually one of the driest months.
Can't help you on the water temperature then, but you are supplied with wet suits for the dolphin swim which I think I am correct in saying that they are compulsory to use at all times.
Mike.

Gillian-B
19-08-2003, 01:13
The water in the main pool (where the "lazy river" is) is heated, whereas the other pools (e.g. stingray, tropical fish, dolphins) are not. There are advantages to going to DC in either summer or winter. In July/August, you can cool off in the water, whereas the bonus in winter is that it'll be less of a "shock to the system" going in the "cold" water as the differential between air and water temperature will not be as great as in the middle of summer. Whenever you go, DC is a brilliant day out (even if you don't do the dolphin swim).

Gillian-B
19-08-2003, 01:19
p.s. the water isn't THAT cold - I'm a wimp where it comes to cold water and if I can get in, anyone can (and it's well worth it anyway)!

dbrook
19-08-2003, 01:34
Thanks Mike and Gillian. I didn't realise that any of the water was heated - that's an added bonus. Think we'll go for it:D

Ron Glum
22-08-2003, 18:23
We have just returned from Orlando, and the visit to DC was the highlight...but we did go twice! The dolphin swim time is allocatted when you arrive. We got there at 9.45 and were allocatted a late afternoon time. We had our briefing and were just about to go out to the pool when a storm came over at 2.45 pm. Swim eventually cancelled. We were offered a refund (just the swim charge) or a rescheduled visit (no charge). We rescheduled and got a second visit (and swim) on our last day of the holiday.

Tips: its the hot visitor attraction at the moment, so book your visit several months in advance (we used http://www.worldwide-attractions.co.uk), and get there early for an early swim time.

Debs
25-08-2003, 02:54
We have been really busy since our visit (also lost our modem due to a lightning bolt!!) so only just had time to post. We had a great time :D We arrived at 8.00am and were allocated 9.40am for our Dolphin swim. We had just enough time to find a locker and get on our wetsuits before the debriefing. The water at first did feel cold as it was 75 degrees and I thought [:0] I am not going to be able to do this but we just ducked quickly and got used to it. I has a bit apprehensive prior to the visit as I just didn't know what to expect - it was great I just wanted to touch the Dolphin (called Diego - as his mother was called Sandy - San Diego!!!) all the time. The whole experience lasted 30mins or so and was recorded on film and lots of photographs were taken too. After the swim it was time to view the pictures - there was a computer blip so we had to select them later. We then made our way to the other pools with the sting rays and other tropical fish. It was a really relaxing day - because the entry numbers are limited (shame they don't do this with the Disney Parks :D) Lunch was also included and was very nice - the park closed at 5.30pm. We made our way to the exit just before closing time and just before a huge down pour! We then spent over half an hour waiting to the storm to calm down - a lightning bolt hit the flag pole outside leaving the flag very frazzled. It was a lovely day and definitely the highlight of our trip. :D

nelly
28-08-2003, 10:46
just go. you will never forget the place ever