PDA

View Full Version : Can I just rent one at Sanford airport?

ajackuk
13-09-2006, 01:22
I am coming to Orlando on vacation in October, flying into Sanford.

I am meeting up with friends from another part of the UK, and we have hired a villa. If all goes to plan, they land at MCO first, by a few hours, and I arrive later that day at Sanford. The plan is for them to pick me up from Sanford, and then add me as a named drive to the group mini-van they have hired the next day.

Just trying to work out what to do if they get delayed, by a few hours or even a day or so.

Can I just walk into the Dollar rental building at Sanford, and hire a car for a day or two?

The villa is in Indian Ridge, Kissimmee, guessing a taxi from Sanford to there would be VERY expensive?

Ideas and thoughts greatly appreciated.

ShirleyD
13-09-2006, 01:32
Yes you could do a one day hire, but why don't you both have a copy of the rental voucher. Hopefully you could then rent it and add their name later

ajackuk
13-09-2006, 01:46
Thanks for the reply!

But will the voucher not list pickup as Orlando airport?
Is it possible to get it with 2 different pickup locations?

Kazzie
13-09-2006, 03:34
You might be better hiring a car from the above site for a few days anyway to be on the safe side. It would be much more expensive to hire one when you get to the airport.

Karen

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ajackuk
I am coming to Orlando on vacation in October, flying into Sanford.

I am meeting up with friends from another part of the UK, and we have hired a villa. If all goes to plan, they land at MCO first, by a few hours, and I arrive later that day at Sanford. The plan is for them to pick me up from Sanford, and then add me as a named drive to the group mini-van they have hired the next day.

Just trying to work out what to do if they get delayed, by a few hours or even a day or so.

Can I just walk into the Dollar rental building at Sanford, and hire a car for a day or two?

The villa is in Indian Ridge, Kissimmee, guessing a taxi from Sanford to there would be VERY expensive?

Ideas and thoughts greatly appreciated.
[/quote]

MTP
13-09-2006, 03:51
I would agree with Kazzie as I would imagine the last thing that your friends will want to do is to arrive at MCO and then go to Sanford before going to the villa, or even go to the villa and then back to Sanford and back to the villa. So the options I would look at is a 2 - 3 day hire, or investigate taxi/limo tranfer costs - if you can pre-agree a cost then it may not be too bad a quick surf came up with a price of $135 to go to Kissimmee - not to bad with the current exchange rates.

roger
13-09-2006, 11:47
To hire either a small car (Economy) or a 7 seater for 1 day is very cheap. Why dont you rent for 1 day collecing Sanford, and returning to, say, Kissimmee the following morning? Do this on the Gold option which includes the tank of fuel and only a couple of £'s more.

Whilst at Kissimmee returning the 1 day car, you could then add yourself to the original car rental your friends collected from MCO. Make sure your friends go along with their car and the paperwork when you do this too.

dawn
13-09-2006, 13:14
I would definately go with Roger's suggestion - we did something very similar when we were out and my sister joined us later and it worked very well, and the cheapest option. The Dollar on the 192 in Kissimme are very helpful, but you never know you may like the indepenence of having your own car and not want to give it back[msnwink]

ajackuk
16-09-2006, 18:46
Thanks for the advice, had a look on the web link and works out at £23 a day for the smallest, all in. Well I say all in, have bene stung in past by thinking I had paid it all up front, and them get hit with another tax when I pick car up.

Have to read the fine print some more this time :)

roger
16-09-2006, 19:45
This is a genuine "all-in" from our site provided driver(s) are age 25 or over. On the Gold option you do not even have to pay for the tank of fuel!

Thanks for the advice, had a look on the web link and works out at £23 a day for the smallest, all in. Well I say all in, have bene stung in past by thinking I had paid it all up front, and them get hit with another tax when I pick car up.

[/quote]

dan
17-09-2006, 02:12
Thanks for the advice, had a look on the web link and <span style="color:blue">works out at £23 a day for the smallest, all in.</span id="blue"> Well I say all in, have bene stung in past by thinking I had paid it all up front, and them get hit with another tax when I pick car up.

[/quote]ajackak, if you are quoted £23, then it is £23 - no hidden charges. Honestly! My sister hired the car for 1 day only. Pick up was from Sanford and the next day we took it back to Dollar on the 1 9 2 (192), where we had her added to our car. Another option is to have the car picked up from your villa but you would still have to make a visit to a Dollar showroom at some point.
I would agree with others and hire the car, especially when you are flying into a different airport from the rest of your party. It's not worth the hassle.

heathercobbett
17-09-2006, 18:41
We once flew over at the last minute(booked the day before) We then went to the desk at the airport and were charged 4 times what an OV car would have cost

Definitely sort that one out before you go;it will save you lots of money and hassle

ajackuk
01-10-2006, 19:47
Thanks for tips!

Roger - if I book the car but end up NOT wanting to take it, would I still be charged? Would I need to go into the desk at the airport and tell them I want to canel so I do not get charged?

Remember, this is in case the flight the others from my party is on is late, so I hope not to need to use this car.

roger
01-10-2006, 20:05
If you cancel, you must do this through us, not with Dollar. There would only be a refund if you cancel with us before your rental time (by email or telephone), and since you would may be collecting after our office hours, this is not likely to be possible.

If you were able email us on a week day, before your rental commences, no later than 17:30 UK time then we can cancel for a full refund.

Thanks for tips!

Roger - if I book the car but end up NOT wanting to take it, would I still be charged? Would I need to go into the desk at the airport and tell them I want to canel so I do not get charged?

Remember, this is in case the flight the others from my party is on is late, so I hope not to need to use this car.
[/quote]

ajackuk
01-10-2006, 22:58
Aha - I see the criteria now, and understand.

Looks like my scenario of walking out of the arrivals hall at Sanford and going "On look, there are my friends, do not need the car now" is not really a suitable excuse to cancel the car :) Perfectly understandable.

If I booked the car, paid my $24 but did not show up to take it, would I be charged anything extra as I had booked but not taken?? A "naughty boy, waste our time will you" fee if you will?

roger
02-10-2006, 00:02
That woouldnt be a problem. Obviously you would loose the payment as you already know, but there would not be an extra charge for not taking the car.

Aha - I see the criteria now, and understand.

Looks like my scenario of walking out of the arrivals hall at Sanford and going "On look, there are my friends, do not need the car now" is not really a suitable excuse to cancel the car :) Perfectly understandable.

If I booked the car, paid my $24 but did not show up to take it, would I be charged anything extra as I had booked but not taken?? A "naughty boy, waste our time will you" fee if you will?

[/quote]