PDA

View Full Version : Stingrays at Discovery Cove

NigelM
05-09-2006, 13:49
The sad news about Steve Irwin has prompted me to consider whether there wil be any reaction at Deiscovery Cove. There is bound to be some form of action taken. what is the reaction locally?

ShirleyD
05-09-2006, 15:39
It certainly might make people think twice, though I can't imagine that we would be allowed to swim with them without loads of form filling, if it wasn't completely safe. So sad for his family though.

ALR
05-09-2006, 15:46
It crossed my mind yesterday when I considered how up close and personal we had been at Discovery Cove last year BUT like it was repeatedly said yesterday, only one other person before him has been killed by a stingray attack. Some may now say it's two people too many but I think Steve Irwin himself would be the first to have said continue to interact with Mother Nature and her creatures. It was his aim in life to get the general public interested and interacting with lots of animals.

ALR

Jill
05-09-2006, 17:34
Do not worry about the barbs on the stingrays at Discovery Cove. Aquariums where they allow interaction with rays and humans will have removed the barbs so as to not cause injury. Stingrays are not attackers and will only raise their barbs in self defence if they feel threatened. It is also quite safe for them if the barbs are removed. If you go to Discovery Cove or any other aquarium please enjoy these funny and serene creatures.

The last person to die in Australia from a Stingray was in 1945 at St Kilda Bay so it is a very rare event. However Andrew told us that he had to take a group of divers into the shark tank at the Melbourne Aquarium just after the news broke. The shark tank also has smooth stingrays which are the largest species of stingray in the world. He did wonder if anyone would decide not to dive but everyone did go down.

mizzy
05-09-2006, 17:36
the ray pool at discovery cove have a species known as cownose rays

here is the info from an online marine encyclopedia

Cownose Rays
rhinoptera bonasus

this species is unique amongst rays because of its bi-lobed snout and notched head, which resembles a cow muzzle. Found in the atlantic waters from New England to Brazil, often in small groups and sometimes in large schools. Prefers open waters, but is also common in shallow waters near the coast. Regularly migrates to different parts of the atlantic. Can grow to nearly 4 ft wide from wingtip to wingtip.

Conversation Status !!oops!! that should say conservation status[msnembarrased]
Not threatened

Threat to Humans
None

Mizzy

chrizzy100
05-09-2006, 18:52
You know...people die in car crashes every day...but we still get in our cars and walk in the streets...[msnsmile]

esprit
05-09-2006, 19:30
There was someone on TV from Discovery Cove last night. He said they inspect the rays regularly and clip the barbs off.

Rhosyn
05-09-2006, 20:12
There have only been two people killed in Australia by Stingrays one was in 1945 and the other was Sadley Steve.

christhear
06-09-2006, 01:56
On the news today they said that Steve Irwin was antagonising the Sting Ray. Everything that happened has been caught on film and the police and coroners office will get to view exactly what happened.
Therefore I don't think that people visiting Discovery cove or Sea world need to worry. I was also told by Seaworld that the barns have been removed from all there Stingrays.

NigelM
06-09-2006, 17:07
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by christhear
On the news today they said that Steve Irwin was antagonising the Sting Ray. Everything that happened has been caught on film and the police and coroners office will get to view exactly what happened.
Therefore I don't think that people visiting Discovery cove or Sea world need to worry. I was also told by Seaworld that the barns have been removed from all there Stingrays.
[/quote]

Are the police going to charge the stingray then?

:D

vanessag
17-09-2006, 06:48
There is a huge Stingray at Seaworld, it is about 35 years old and it is massive, we were told that it's barb had been surgically removed.

nicseg
17-09-2006, 14:33
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by vanessag
There is a huge Stingray at Seaworld, it is about 35 years old and it is massive, we were told that it's barb had been surgically removed.
[/quote]
Glad to hear it ![msnsmile]

Kat7
25-01-2007, 22:31
We went to Discovery Cove in 2002...Fabulous......my only regret was not arriving at 9.00/9.30am. Our swim was after lunch, so we didn't arrive until 11.00. Its expensive, but sooooooooo worth it, just to swim in the lagoon and laze around.

The dolphin encounter was a little too regimented for my liking, but they do have to put the dolphins first! Our 1st dolphin threw a tantrum, so they sent him away and got his mum!!!! [laugh][msnsmile2]

Would definately recommend it, tho!

Kat