PDA

View Full Version : How do I open a savings account in the US?

marcoma2
28-08-2006, 21:21
I have searched the internet for banks which offer savings accounts, I have looked at this site:
http://www.bankrate.com/brm/rate/mmmf_highratehome.asp?params=US,416&product=33

but the accounts I have tried wont let me open an account.

I have a correspondence address in the US, I have a tax identification number (ITIN), and I have a checking account with Suntrust bank, but the online registration asks for my driving license which was issued in the UK - the application has no option for this.

Does anyone know of any savings accounts that I can apply for, even if they are internet banks.

Any advice or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

Marco

Genie
28-08-2006, 21:37
We are with Regions and opened another account ( savings ) when we were there in November last year, I think most of the banks offer these but you would probably be better ringing them !

Rhosyn
28-08-2006, 21:41
Can you phone your bank and open another account, this is what I did opened a checking account when I was over a few years ago and then phoned when wiring money over and they opened a Money Market account for me.

E. Cosgrove
28-08-2006, 22:57
We are with BOA and have a current account and savings account for our villa business.
When we were there in May we opened a personal current account and savings account for our own use, we had no problem doing this but it was probably easier doing it in person.:)

Neatfeat
29-08-2006, 01:09
Hi

We bank with Mercantile and we have a checking account and a savings account. The savings account is a savings certificate, we've invested a sum of money for 15 months and get a nice return, better than the UK.

marcoma2
30-08-2006, 22:39
The reason why dont open a savings account with my current US bank is that the rate is not so good. Ideally I want the freedom to choose an account at another bank with a better interest rate.

One of the stumbling blocks is that I don't have a US drivers licence, which is asked for in the application process, so this poses another question:
is it possible to get a Florida state driers licence when not actually being a resident? I have heard of licences that are of 'florida state only' is it possible to get one of these?

Thanks

Marco

florida4sun
31-08-2006, 01:28
Even after tax?

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Neatfeat
Hi

We bank with Mercantile and we have a checking account and a savings account. The savings account is a savings certificate, we've invested a sum of money for 15 months and get a nice return, better than the UK.

[/quote]

flyrr100
31-08-2006, 01:49
There's no 'Florida Only' driver's license. Ever since 9/11 the rules concerning getting a US license have been tighened up. I'd check the pwebsite link edited] site and it'll link you to the 'Driver's Licence' pages. I'm sure they'll answer all and any questions you have concerning getting a Florida license.

BarryR
31-08-2006, 02:52
We are with Suntrust and we just popped in to the Celebration branch and opened a savings account there and then. Through their internet banking it is easy to move money between checking and savings accounts.

Barry

blott
31-08-2006, 03:04
You can get a Florida driving licence if you take the driving test. You need to take your passport with you as this contains your I-94 and your entitlement to stay in the US. If you pass the test, your licence will be mailed to your US address after 30 days and will be valid until the end of your I-94. So, each time you visit Florida, you'd need to apply for a renewal of your licence and the same procedure (apart from the driving test) applies. I would have said it wasn't worth the hassle of getting a driving licence just to open a savings account!

You posted your question in the Moving to Florida section which, if that's what you're intending to do, you need to apply for a Florida driving test and licence within 28 days of your arrival.

You can open a savings account at almost any bank if you appear in person and take your deposit and passport with you. This is because of the the anti money laundering laws.

As you already have an account with a US bank, you may be able to open a savings account without being there in person or you may not, depending on the bank's rules.

Ray9
14-09-2006, 09:23
I was going to suggest HSBC (usa) for their very good online saving rate..but alas ..need SSN and permanent residence

http://www.us.hsbc.com/1/2/3/personal