PDA

View Full Version : Temperature of Sea

NigelM
25-08-2006, 13:51
I have never found the water to be as warm as some posters mention. have been to beaches at Ft Myers, St Petes and Treasure Island. Is this because my vacation is usualy in late spring. Does the water get a lot warmer in July/August?

Have just come back from the Med where the sea was warm.

Nigel

stabard
25-08-2006, 14:01
We have not long returned and I can say the sea at Cocoa beach was wonderfully warm. I also saw the forcast on TV for the Gulf coast and they were saying the water was 92 degrees. [msnsmile2]

Clare R
25-08-2006, 14:01
Sea temperature in the Gulf of Mexico at Englewood was around 86F when I was last there in June 2006

Clare R
http://www.orlandovillas.com/villas/1367.aspx

Lynne S
25-08-2006, 14:02
We stayed at Clearwater/Indian shores in August 05...The sea then was like a warm bath[msnsmile2]

Vanessa
25-08-2006, 19:40
We are headed down to Rotonda next weekend and will be making a trip to Boca Grande. Last year over the Labor Day holiday the waters at Boca Grande were in the low 80's...just the way I like it! I live in NH and we are lucky here if our ocean temps make it to 65F BURRR!

E. Cosgrove
25-08-2006, 20:52
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Jadehouse
We stayed at Clearwater/Indian shores in August 05...The sea then was like a warm bath[msnsmile2]
[/quote]
I'd echo that Lynne, it's a while since we went to the Gulf Coast ( a return trip is long overdue especially as I now know about all the fantastic villas there[msnwink] )but I remember saying exactly the same thing at the time, which was mid July.:)

Katys Grandad
25-08-2006, 21:47
Sea temperatures vary widely even within a few miles of coastline. In my experience the Gulf waters are never too cold to swim in but I've been in the same area of water just a couple of days apart and found quite a difference even though the weather was constant. I would be surprised of the Med is any different.

Liesel
25-08-2006, 22:52
We found Clearwater (west coast) and Apollo Beach (east coast) in July absolutley lovely. Not so warm that it wasn't refreshing but warm enough that you didn't cringe at mid-thigh depth!;)

Liesel

Robert5988
26-08-2006, 01:10
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:We have not long returned and I can say the sea at Cocoa beach was wonderfully warm.[/quote]

My place is just South of Cocoa. I don't know when you were there but in late July until I left last week, there was an upwelling of cold water and the sea got really cold - it was an item on the local Brevard TV most days - tourists complaining etc. Great for fishing though - caught lots of Bluefish which normally only appear in winter.

The upwelling of cold water can occur(and disappear) suddenly and apparently every 2/3 years they get it.

In 2003 it happened in August and the temperature of the water right on the beach was 52F. 12 miles out to sea off Cape Canaveral it was 82F. It caused a huge problem for the hatching turtles. As soon as they hit the water they were stunned and washed back in. The Turtle presevation society collected 20,000 hatchlings and got a boat to take them out to sea. There were scores on the beach every morning and the racoons and birds had their fill.

becbecs
26-08-2006, 13:56
We where Scuba Diving in Key Largo August 2005 and the water temperature in and around the John Pennekamp Reef was around 28 degrees.

The Simpsons
02-09-2006, 19:11
Was at St Pete's yesterday and the temperature of the sea was 88.[msncool]

orlandodaze
03-09-2006, 05:13
When we were in Florida it was late June early July but we visited Cocoa beach quite a bit and always early morning like before noon or else evening time otherwise it was too hot for us to walk barefooted on the beach . Definately hot enough for this fair maiden .

T2M
05-09-2006, 20:06
Last week at Naples the sea was 87F but I tell you the temperature a the waters edge must have been in the 90's, it was the only day I did not have my shorts on (didn't plan on getting wet) so rolled my jeans up and in for a paddle, wife said I only needed a knotted hanky and it was like being on holiday with Alf Garnett [msneek][msntongue]

stabard
05-09-2006, 21:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:We have not long returned and I can say the sea at Cocoa beach was wonderfully warm.[/quote]

My place is just South of Cocoa. I don't know when you were there but in late July until I left last week, there was an upwelling of cold water and the sea got really cold - it was an item on the local Brevard TV most days - tourists complaining etc. Great for fishing though - caught lots of Bluefish which normally only appear in winter.

The upwelling of cold water can occur(and disappear) suddenly and apparently every 2/3 years they get it.

In 2003 it happened in August and the temperature of the water right on the beach was 52F. 12 miles out to sea off Cape Canaveral it was 82F. It caused a huge problem for the hatching turtles. As soon as they hit the water they were stunned and washed back in. The Turtle presevation society collected 20,000 hatchlings and got a boat to take them out to sea. There were scores on the beach every morning and the racoons and birds had their fill.
[/quote]

We were right by the pier for the first week of August and it was wonderful warm. Kids were surfing in the water even after it got dark. :D