PDA

View Full Version : Are we asking too much?

mbb
21-08-2006, 23:07
Need a little feedback, folks[msnsmile]and, I guess, some reassurance.

We submitted a GE to all three sites regarding our upcoming Christmas vacation, as our fav villa is already booked (but no surprise there, we know we're leaving this a little late!!:D )

Anyway, we're very specific in our wishlist items, and have found that there are quite a few villas available that meet our ticklist, and are absolutely gorgeous. We're having a difficult time narrowing our choices down, in fact...what a great dilemma to have: how to pick a beautiful home for our family vacation!!

But we received one email from an owner who thinks that we're "asking too much"...in particular:

"would you like me to get santa and the raindeers to come and sit with you by the pool but we only have leather chairs out side so very sorry can,t help.
why not try holiday inn i am sure that they will be able to help, think you may be asking a bit much why not try leaving the bbq out when retrying

Are we insulting owners by being too specific in our list of requirements? Or am I just missing out on someone's sense of humour?

We figure that the more specific we can be, results in less time for you folks spent in front of the computer. If your villa meets our list, and you have availabilty, great! If not - on either count - I would think that you know it's ok not to have to reply. And if you do reply, many owners are so gracious in saying "we don't have all the items on your list, but here's what we do have, and our rate".

Which to me is just good business, and great PR for you.

Wondering what we ask for in our villa vacation?
King, queen, 2 twins
South/southwest facing heatable pool with cover
Heatable spa to 104*
Gas/Electric barbeque
Cable tv's in all bedrooms
PS2 or similar
Internet access/ international calls
Christmas decorations
Upholstered furniture, not leather.

I know the leather furniture thing is a little odd, it's just not our preference, for a variety of reasons.

Anyway, if we're being in any way, shape or form, insulting to villa owners by the above list, please accept our apologies.

(....and if Santa is available poolside, do you think that would be included in the rate??[msnwink][msnwink] )

Thanks for your thoughts...

MBB

Vanessa
21-08-2006, 23:19
No, I don't think you are asking too much at all! In fact, I think you are making it much easier for us to assist you and ensure you have exactly the accomodations you desire.

If that is the attitude of the owner, it may not be the place you are looking for anyway!

I'm sure you will find exactly what you're looking for and soon.

janny
21-08-2006, 23:24
Santa is probably an extra :)

I am sorry you had the reply you got- in my book it is uncalled for .If you have a needs list then what is wrong with asking

Pegasus928
21-08-2006, 23:31
Our wish list was even bigger than that as we asked for a games room too [msneek]

We had lots of lovely replies and we have booked an amazing villa

Hope you find what you are looking for

Mr & Mrs Pegasus

ellie
21-08-2006, 23:35
MBB I think it is quite acceptable to give your 'wish' list, as it helps all of us not to waste time. I hope you find your ideal villa, and as you are obviously sensible enough to realise that you may have to compromise a little, then I am sure you will find your dream home! Hope you have a wonderful holiday, too.

Perhaps you caught this owner on a bad day when he had had a lot of similar requests from people who gave a long list finished off with 'not willing to pay more than £xxx for entire stay.' There are some people who have a very low budget but who want everything under the sun for free, so he may have interpreted your request incorrectly. Now as we all know, there's no such thing as a free meal, and those owners who look after their homes and provide many luxury features charge a rate which ensures their homes can be maintained to a high standard, and that won't be for a budget price. I am sure you will receive lots of very helpful emails, so don't be put off by just one reply.

Those people who provide every extra under the sun for a very low price will, I am afraid to say, end up losing their villas, and that is not good for the poor guests who finds their dream holiday disappearing when their chosen home is suddenly sold, and the new owner decides he is unable to honour the booking at such a ridiculously low price.

So go ahead, give your wish list. It certainly doesn't offend me. I have to say, I was curious about the leather seats [msnwink] especially as we are about to upgrade our furniture and had considered leather. :D

Good luck in your quest!:)[8D]

Ruth
21-08-2006, 23:36
I think you must have got an owner who was having a bad day MBB. There is nothing wrong with stating your wish list, in fact it helps. The only thing is that if you don't get any suitable villas then you may have to compromise on something:)I hope you find a great villa:)

E. Cosgrove
21-08-2006, 23:44
I'ts your holiday and you should be able to ask for the things you want:)

Like Ellie, the only thing I do have a problem with is enquirers who ask for loads of specifics and then finish with........and by the way we are only prepared to pay X amount[msnoo]

I hope you find the perfect villa and that you and your family have a wonderful trip[msnsmile2]

I might have been able to arrange Santa for you but we have leather sofas:D....and anyway we are booked[msnwink]
Seriously though, keep looking and have fun:)

Katys Grandad
21-08-2006, 23:46
Bad day? There's absolutely no excuse for such ill-mannered behaviour.

dawn
21-08-2006, 23:51
MBB, it is better to say what you would like, at least then we know!!

By the way I can provide Santa for you, but only a lifesize singing kind, no reindeers sorry.

Hope you find your villa, which I am sure you will and have a magical time[msnsmile2]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
21-08-2006, 23:57
We'd love to know the villa ref number of the owner who wrote that as we will not tolerate owners who advertise with us being anything less than courteous with guests as it impacts on our own reputation too.

Feel free to email me at john@orlandovillas.com in total confidence.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mbb
"would you like me to get santa and the raindeers to come and sit with you by the pool but we only have leather chairs out side so very sorry can,t help.
why not try holiday inn i am sure that they will be able to help, think you may be asking a bit much why not try leaving the bbq out when retrying

[/quote]

mbb
22-08-2006, 00:00
Thanks everyone[msnsmile]

We were genuinely concerned that our list was unreasonable in some way, and I'm glad to hear that it isn't.

I do fear that we're going to become known as that "crazy no leather furniture family" in owner's forums though!:D The reasons we put that in our requests, ellie, are that my mother has arthritis quite badly, and she finds the leather sofas "slippery". The other is that our kids have some sensory issues, and they find the texture of the sofas a little off-putting.

So understanding how fabulous those leather sofas are for wear and tear, they certainly are ideal for the rental market. But just not for our little family[msnsmile] Hope that makes sense.

Again, thanks for the reassurances all.

[msnsmile]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
22-08-2006, 00:04
Don't worry - you are not being unreasonable and rest assured we don't talk about guests like this in the owners area behind their backs. The owners area is quite dull for non-owners as we mainly discuss day to day things with running a villa and ways of advertising etc etc.

nreasonable in some way, and I'm glad to hear that it isn't.

I do fear that we're going to become known as that "crazy no leather furniture family" in owner's forums though!:D [/quote]

ellie
22-08-2006, 00:22

I do fear that we're going to become known as that "crazy no leather furniture family" in owner's forums though!:D The reasons we put that in our requests, ellie, are that my mother has arthritis quite badly, and she finds the leather sofas "slippery". The other is that our kids have some sensory issues, and they find the texture of the sofas a little off-putting.

[msnsmile]
[/quote]

Aah, I had a feeling it was something like that. To be honest, my daughter here in the UK has some beautiful leather sofas, but being a very chilly mortal I always find them freezing cold in the winter, and a bit sticky in the summer, so I do sympathise with your mum. But as you say, they are hard wearing, and they do look lovely. Each to his own! And that is the beauty of villas, they are so individual you are bound to find one which is just right!

Now as for the reindeers and Father Christmas by the pool:D, would have to work on that a little....[msnwink] as I not sure I could persuade the real Santa and Rudolph to visit at such a busy time, but could certainly provide 'pretend' ones!

mbb
22-08-2006, 00:56
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by E. Cosgrove
I'ts your holiday and you should be able to ask for the things you want:)

Like Ellie, the only thing I do have a problem with is enquirers who ask for loads of specifics and then finish with........and by the way we are only prepared to pay X amount[msnoo]

I hope you find the perfect villa and that you and your family have a wonderful trip[msnsmile2]

I might have been able to arrange Santa for you but we have leather sofas:D....and anyway we are booked[msnwink]
Seriously though, keep looking and have fun:)
[/quote]

And I would think that you probably get loads of those "willing to pay only x amount" requests daily - which would get very tiresome, very fast!![msnscared]

(...on a little OT side note, though...we have received some replies in the past (through other websites) from owners with wording like "What's your budget? We can deal.." , etc. Renting homes is a business, yes, and certainly needs to be treated as such. The emotional component though, ie, being treated as respected guests, is important to us. Just as we feel that being respectful guests in your homes is equally important to you[msnsmile]

All that being said, we would let owners know through our reply to their offer of availability, if their home was out of our budget.

Just because some are.
And we feel it's important to let owners know why we're not selecting their particular home.

Thankfully, some aren't out of our budget! [msnsmile2] )

Anyway!! Hope all that makes some degree of sense, and again, we're just happy folks will let my little band- of- vacationing- Disney-lovin'- barbarians in!! LOL!

[msnsmile]

andrewmckay5
22-08-2006, 01:04
Mary,
just to get you in the mood[msnsmile2]

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/andrewmckay5/200612220818_1.JPG

jackie greaves
22-08-2006, 01:09
I think it is very helpful having a wish list, it saves us owners replying to enquiries that aren't going to be acceptable to the guest. I agree that it does get annoying when guests want lots of extras but don't want to pay for them, but this wasn't the case with your request. It certainly never offended me. Good luck with finding your perfect villa.

mbb
22-08-2006, 01:11
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by andrewmckay5
Mary,

[/quote]

That's the remote controlled set-up tree, isn't it!!

Thanks Andrew!![msnsmile2]

andrewmckay5
22-08-2006, 01:15
Yep, takes about 5 minutes to put up which obviously then means more time to rest with a large egg nog with a shot of Brandy.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by andrewmckay5
Mary,

[/quote]

That's the remote controlled set-up tree, isn't it!!

Thanks Andrew!![msnsmile2]
[/quote]

Snapper
22-08-2006, 01:24
A remote controlled tree! How cool is that? [msnsmile2][msncool][msncool]

mbb - your enquiry was perfect; it makes the jobs of owners so much easier. If only there were more folks like you. [msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

domster
22-08-2006, 01:25
That is a mighty fine crimbo tree there.

Back to the thread, you are well within your rights to ask for what ever you want, after all it is your vacation.
If you never gave a selection of stuff you are after you would have had double the amount of replies! By asking for things (south facing pool ,consrvation etc) you wittle down the field from the off, thus saving you even more time.

I find i hard that someone would actually write that comment.

Genie
22-08-2006, 01:25
I think the reply you had was disgusting and I for one think this owner should be told that replies like that are not acceptable . It gives us polite and helpful owners a bad name !
If they did not have everything on your wish list then it would have been for you to decide if the missing things were things you might still consider not having.

Jill
22-08-2006, 02:14
I have only just seen this thread and cannot understand the reply you received. It was completely out of order. Personally I prefer to see a 'wish list' as I then know if my home is what you might be looking for or not. It makes it easier for you to only receive replies that match your brief and not have to trawl through lots and lots that are lovely homes but not what you want.

KarenScott
22-08-2006, 02:33
I would rather have a wish list, it helps to know what an potential guest wants however it sometimes means you have to press delete as you cannot meet all requirements[msnscared]
I think the response you had from the owner was cheeky and they should not have replied in such a way. [msnembarrased]

mbb
22-08-2006, 02:55
Thanks all of you, for your kind words, and DM notes.

It is much appreciated, and only reaffirms our knowledge that renting direct from really great owners is the only way to vacation!

[msnsmile]

DaveL
22-08-2006, 03:45
I don't understand the problem as this is something we always arrange for our Christmas guests. You just need to send a letter to the North Pole early enough. [msnwink]

Dave

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/DaveL/2006821234513_PIC00004-1.jpg

Shirley G
22-08-2006, 04:21
Thanks everyone[msnsmile]

We were genuinely concerned that our list was unreasonable in some way, and I'm glad to hear that it isn't.

So understanding how fabulous those leather sofas are for wear and tear, they certainly are ideal for the rental market. But just not for our little family[msnsmile] Hope that makes sense.

Again, thanks for the reassurances all.

[msnsmile]
[/quote]

I don't think you are a "crazy no leather family". I cannot stand the feel of leather, to sit on it or wear it. So I fully understand where you are coming from[msnsmile]

chrizzy100
22-08-2006, 07:30
Thats a lot shorter list then friends give me when they want a villa...and they want it in 4 weeks most of the time...[msnscared][msnscared]
I have to say this sites always pulls through...and now some of our friends even find their own villas...
I ask for a list of everything and send that off...and I've always had lovely e-mails back...
I'm not into leather sofas..it would not put me off a home if everything else was there...but I could do without it...

shenon
22-08-2006, 12:06
Mary your wish list was fine and i prefer them actually,i am so sorry for the reply you received and am appalled by the owner who responded in this manor(bad day or not there is no excuse)
I am sure you will get a lovely villa and wish you a wonderful holiday:)

Ray&Sarah
22-08-2006, 12:37
Hope you have now managed to find a lovely villa that meets your criteria, I think as ssome of the others have said you must have caught an owner having a bad day.

If someone does manage to get Santa to put in a personal appearance can they ask him to pop over to our villa too please, we have a 6 year old visitor that would be over the moon to see him.[msnwink]:D

CCollins
22-08-2006, 13:24
I did not find the Guests wish list offensive at all.

It's their holiday, they can decide what they want to make their holiday extra special.

It's only the same as choosing which hotel to stay in for a weekend away in UK or Europe - some tick all the boxes and others don't.

With such a wide choice of Villas in Orlando to choose from, why not be selective?

We could not accomodate the guest, so we did not reply.

KarenG
22-08-2006, 14:45
I agree with Caroline, I would much rather have a guest who knows what they want. I did not find her request offensive at all!
I did reply to her request, our home did not meet all the requirements that she has asked for, but you never know.

I have had people who have picked my home over others when they wanted something like a game room and we did not have one, but they
liked everything else our home had to offer so they were not worried about it not having a game room.

MBB have a great vacation I am sure which ever home you pick for your holiday you will have a great Chirstmas!!!

ahagan
22-08-2006, 15:50
Mary, I hope you have found a lovely villa. There was nothing wrong with your enquiry. Your wish list makes life easier for us owners. I can't believe you got a response like that.

You have every right to ask as it is your vacation and you want the best. Please feel free to ask again in future. For every one such bad reply you will get many helpful responses from which you get to choose a beautiful villa. Enjoy your holiday.

rogerdunnaker
22-08-2006, 16:38
We too think that the reply that you received was uncalled for, we would have been happy to have you in our villa, unfortunately, we are allready booked.

qunlu
22-08-2006, 17:47
I do not think you ask too much. i think it is good way for the owner too. If the owner does not meet the requirement, they should not reply. It will save them time and your time.

22-08-2006, 20:34
I would have been furious if I received that reply[msnmad]

How very rude[msnmad]

Andrena
23-08-2006, 04:04
I would rather know right from the start what people want and if I can't provide it then I don't need to reply.

Apologies from all the owners who would never dream of treating people like that.

We put up lights outside our home and a tree inside too. We are always there ourselves until mid-December and my husband is just like a big kid, he loves decorating the house with all the bells and whistles. In fact we have a competition in our street as several neighbours do it too. We are even daft enough to bring the blooming lights hme here and put them up in the UK too (we have a transformer as my husband is an engineer) and our neighbours here love it too.

Hope you got a suitable home and have a great Christmas.

Andrena

fiona
23-08-2006, 16:34
I cannot believe an owner replied like that! I would far rather see enquiries as detailed as yours so we know what to respond and what not to. Like the other owners I get a trifle peeved at those who want the best for peanuts, when it patently doesn't cost peanuts to supply all these things! But I restrain myself and just hit the delete button!

I am sure John will be taking this up, we are all expected to maintain certain levels of conduct on the OV sites.

sundowner
23-08-2006, 22:49
What a bad attitude and very rude to reply that way. Bad day or not, it's not on.

I would rather see a wish list, that way everyone knows what to expect, and not have ideas in your head of what you will get only to feel let down. Besides, if you wanted to take pot luck, you would book through a travel agent and have no choice at all.

Absolutely certain you will get a lovely villa from this site and your wish list is actually pretty much the norm (leather aside). Only joking about the leather, it's like Marmite you either love it or you hate it !! Have a great holiday, and I trust the person that gave you the reply had been reprimanded.

Frosty
23-08-2006, 22:58
Mary,
Its your money, and you have the right to pick and choose how you spend it.
If it were a hotel you went to, and you asked them similar questions and they replied in the same tone, i would assume you would turn round and walk out. Thats what i'd do.

It's funny that no-one has responded, defending the reply, i.e. the owner.
Too embarassed maybe[msnembarrased]

LiesaAnna
24-08-2006, 02:46
i thought i saw an answer from the person involved? its gone now so maybe they wish to keep quiet

your all so good on here!![clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
24-08-2006, 02:58
It's all sorted now - we will not tolerate that kind of reply by an owner as it reflects badly on us too [msnsad].

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by fiona
I am sure John will be taking this up, we are all expected to maintain certain levels of conduct on the OV sites.
[/quote]

mbb
24-08-2006, 04:48
And we've found a really wonderful villa, with yet another wonderful owner.

So thanks again, John, Mods, Owners, and other renters too.
We absolutely have no hesitations recommending the OV family[msnsmile] This Board is a great spot because of all of you.

Happy HoHo at WDW for us!![xmas1]

dawn
24-08-2006, 07:52
Fantastic, have a wonderful time, and don't forget to post some pics[xmas1]

chris c
24-08-2006, 15:09
And we've found a really wonderful villa, with yet another wonderful owner.

So thanks again, John, Mods, Owners, and other renters too.
We absolutely have no hesitations recommending the OV family[msnsmile] This Board is a great spot because of all of you.

Happy HoHo at WDW for us!![xmas1]
[/quote]

Really pleased to hear that you have found a wonderful villa and I'm sure that you'll have a fantastic Christmas vacation.

It's also great to hear that the problem has been sorted by John. It was completeley uncalled for that an owner should behave in such a manner! As many have said, a wish list is very helpful in reducing the volume of responses for homes which do not suit your requirements.

Hope Santa brings you lots of lovely presents!

orlandodaze
24-08-2006, 17:10
Mary,personally I think a wish list is a great idea,and also our wish list has changed totally in the past 11 years .For example a games room is wasted on us because we tend to spend our Villa time at the pool , yet because we are all fair complectioned a lanai is one of our must haves and I have had to turn down some otherwise perfect homes for having no lanai. Internet access is another important thing with us and this year my youngest has informed she really is too big for a kiddies decorated bedroom, like most people I expect to pay for what I want . Most owners I have had dealings with are only too delighted to be aware of your needs and if they can accomodate them thats great and if not then we are wasting each others time Im not surprised you found a wonderful villa on this site and you and your family will have a wonderful time ,Enjoy.

chrizzy100
24-08-2006, 18:51
I would have a very short wish list... different unhotel looking funiture... ceiling fans....and garage parking...I may look for a view in a holiday home...but how the inside looks will win me over everytime...

Sniff
24-08-2006, 20:22
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
I would have a very short wish list... different unhotel looking funiture... ceiling fans....and garage parking...I may look for a view in a holiday home...but how the inside looks will win me over everytime...
[/quote]
Interesting Chrizzy, as many people seem to convert their garages into games rooms. Are you saying you prefer to be able to part your car in the garage rather than leave it on the driveway? How do others feel about garage vs games room?

Paula D-S
24-08-2006, 21:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Sniff

[i] How do others feel about garage vs games room?

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_23766.asp
This topic may answer your question[msnsmile2]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
24-08-2006, 21:02
Just a polite reminder to keep the thread on-topic [msnsmile]

mavrick
24-08-2006, 21:05
So happy you got fixed up with all your needs. I did apologise to the lady and on the ov site but that was never mentioned.

I take it personally, as i thought the wish list was a bit to much as after replying to so many adds with people wanting everything now in our homes and wanting to pay so little for it, it was only three years ago if the guest had a pool they were happy, but i think we are victims of offering now so much to convert that booking to pay our mortgages some guests causing damage and not even admitting to it.

Yes it was a bad day for me but I did not murder or rob anyone just viewed my opinions as a home owner. I was the one that spoke up about it and did not press the delete key a lesson learned I think here.

As for a garage or games room i prefer a garage but that is only my own perference

Regards to all and sorry to all if anybody was offened,

Sniff
24-08-2006, 22:36
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
Just a polite reminder to keep the thread on-topic [msnsmile]
[/quote]
Point taken! But I figured the original topic of the thread had pretty much run its course :)

Sniff
24-08-2006, 22:38
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by caitlin
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Sniff

[i] How do others feel about garage vs games room?

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_23766.asp
This topic may answer your question[msnsmile2]
[/quote]
Thanks Caitlin[clap]