PDA

View Full Version : Disabled & Valet

burgessfamily
07-08-2003, 23:29
Hi

We are coming over in Nov for 3 weeks and I have a couple of questions and I am hoping you lot would have the answer to

1. My mum is registered Disabled in the UK - is there a similar thing in Florida. i.e. parking spaces for disabled people for when you go shopping or if you was going out to eat.

2. Bearing in mind that my Mum has an orange sticker would we be better off doing the Valet parking at the Parks as I read on the forum that the disabled person bays are still a bit of a trek....

Thank you for any help

Burgessfamily:D

florida4sun
08-08-2003, 03:48
hi,
orange stickers are accepted over here. It all depends if you mother is walking disabled or not. If she is able to walk. Then park in the regular spaces and take the shuttle. The walk from the special needs area is quite long. These spaces are extra wide to allow for unloading of wheelchairs. It does bug me when these spots are taken up by those who do not have a wheelchair.

Martin

lisi
01-10-2003, 18:32
Hi - I have just returned - used my blue badge (formerly the orange badge) in all the carparks with no problem - it is accepted everywhere, at all the eateries and in the theme parks. You show your badge at the parks and they direct you to the disabled car parks which are nearer the gate. We hired a wheelchair for me at the guest services in Universal and Sea World - 8 dollars and 7 dollars respectively and on most of the rides we were ushered to the front - some of the rides though we had to queue along with everyone else. But they are so courteous in Florida for disabled people - I would have no hesitation in visiting again. All the loos are wheelchair friendly and huge wherever you go - so different to UK.
Hope this helps.
Lisi

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
01-10-2003, 19:16
That's the great thing about the US - all public buildings have to be equal access for people of all abilities ... wish there was more of that in the UK too :).

florida4sun
10-11-2003, 00:33
If you do not have a wheelchair with you the you should really park in the regular spots and take the tram. You will have much less of a distance to walk. Most of the wheelchair parking spaces are taken up by people who do not have wheelchair (who should be in the regular spaces). This makes it really awkward for those of us who have wheelchairs and need the space to unload. It is something I really wish the parks would tighten up on.

Martin

quote:Originally posted by lisi

Hi - I have just returned - used my blue badge (formerly the orange badge) in all the carparks with no problem - it is accepted everywhere, at all the eateries and in the theme parks. You show your badge at the parks and they direct you to the disabled car parks which are nearer the gate. We hired a wheelchair for me at the guest services in Universal and Sea World - 8 dollars and 7 dollars respectively and on most of the rides we were ushered to the front - some of the rides though we had to queue along with everyone else. But they are so courteous in Florida for disabled people - I would have no hesitation in visiting again. All the loos are wheelchair friendly and huge wherever you go - so different to UK.
Hope this helps.
Lisi