PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions Please?

ALR
20-08-2006, 18:57
Having read the thread about trying something new everytime, I wondered if anybody could suggest some things to try for someone recovering from surgery? It can be a bit of a pain because you are restricted in some activities such as Typhoon Lagoon etc. and bumpy rides but don't want to waste any precious time being miserable in Florida because of missing out on the usual fun stuff:(:(:(

ALR

Daglish
20-08-2006, 19:24
Not sure how restricted you are but how about a trip to Winter Park? This is a nice area for just walking in the centre looking at the shops, there is a museum with an excellent collection of Tiffany Glass and also a boat trip around the 3 lakes which takes around an hour and gives you a bit of background on the area. There are also another couple of museums and some coffee shops, restaurants etc.

I just can't remember the exit number off the I4 at the moment but I'm sure somebody will be along soon who can!

LiesaAnna
20-08-2006, 20:34
heard a lot about cypress gardens, not a manic place to go?

ALR
20-08-2006, 20:42
Thanks Tracy and Liesa. We've never been to either place so it would be a new experience. I'm a little disappointed because I had been so looking forward to the rides and Typhoon Lagoon's crush n gusher etc. and now I'm going to be restricted on even the simplest of rides such as Big Thunder Mountain.

Looking on the bright side, Florida's a lovely place for recovery[8D][msncool][8D]

ALR

LiesaAnna
20-08-2006, 20:49
whatever your having done Andrea, i wish you well[grouphug]

just being in florida is the best tonic i think[msnwink]

ALR
20-08-2006, 20:56
Thanks Liesa, I would have preferred to have had surgery after we returned from our trip because I don't want to be a spoilsport for the kids. Unfortunately Consultants have differing opinions.

ALR

carolmc
20-08-2006, 21:02
Do visit the market in Webster....only on Monday's though. US 27 until you reach the exit for Clermont. Take this exit and you will be at a T junction - go left, and continue through some beautiful countryside until you see the signs fo Webster Farmers Market - it will be on the right.This really is the "real" Florida and a terrific day out.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.

mizzy
20-08-2006, 21:52
i'm so sorry to hear that your not going to be at your best for your trip Andrea

i'm restricted quite a lot because too but i still have a good time in disney, the atmostphere just sort of sweeps you along on a tide of happiness[msnsmile]

i know we've talked before about discovery cove, now that's a good spot for a bit of r+r[msnwink]

Seaworld is at a much slower pace too so that may suit you[grouphug]

Mizzy

thornton
20-08-2006, 21:58
Bok Tower Gardens is a relaxing place to visit, lots of room for the children to run around.

ALR
20-08-2006, 22:10
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and good wishes.

I thought I'd got away with the surgery this year when we booked the holiday but it's something you get used to. Having been a bit naughty in the past, trying things like swimming, you tend to pull the wounds so this time I'm going to be on my very best behaviour and not risk spoiling it for anybody else. Bit disappointed about the trip we'd planned to Horseworld though.

Thanks again everyone
ALR

jackie greaves
20-08-2006, 22:40
I think I would just lay by the pool and read a book and drink a few glasses of wine, then if I had a bit of energy I would go shopping.:D But not much fun for the kids[msnwink]
Have a great time whatever you do.

dolphinv
21-08-2006, 02:59
We went to Jungle Adventures this time round on our way to KSC. Its a great 1/2 day trip, we got to see lots of big cats, brown bears and of course the feeding of the Aligators.

wrightbuxton
21-08-2006, 15:10
Why not try an air boat ride, you can ride either during the day or at night time. We went at night and saw plenty wildlife....loads of gators.

Julie

steph_goodrum
21-08-2006, 15:55
Silver Springs may be good for you to try depending on what the rest of the party want to do, there are glass bottom boats and other attractions plus a water park where maybe if you have children they can let off some steam whilst you take it easy (obviously depends on their ages).

You can check their website to see if their are any concerts or anything planned whhilst oyu are there which might appeal.

Hopefully we might get to the Caribbean festival in Sept. seems like a change. Also if you atke any coke product container (full or empty) you can get $7 off admission for up to 6 people.

jovi
21-08-2006, 16:14
Silver springs sounds good, how far is it from Kissimee? What is the journey time?
Thanks[msnsmile2]

steph_goodrum
21-08-2006, 17:14
It's about 85 mins from where we are on the 27 ( Hampton Lakes) according to an online map service.

ALR
02-09-2006, 21:47
Thanks for all the great ideas, we are revising our itinerary and I can't wait to try some of your suggestions.[msnwink]

ALR

alan price
12-09-2006, 20:09
How about going to one of the wonderful beaches. You can still have a day out, enjoy the Florida sun and take it easy aswell.

On beaches like Daytona you can take your car onto the beach so you dont have to worry about carrying anything.

I wish you a speedy recovery
Kim.

fiona
12-09-2006, 21:29
Andrea it really depends what sort of surgery and how long before. I am due to have major surgery next week and cannot travel for 3 months - risks of blood clots rather than anything else. I travelled to France by car 6 weeks after a hysterectomy and was very limited in what I could do - couldn't get any insurance cover either! We went to Florida 4 months after the op and got very tired walking round the parks - needed to have a rest with my feet up. We are hoping to travel to Florida in early December but I plan to be sitting by the pool!

Days out which don't involve alot of walking or climbing up and down things would be the order of the day I would have thought - so a trip to the beach will go down a treat. If you think you are not going to be up to too much walking you could always think of hiring one of those scooters?

ALR
12-09-2006, 22:26
Thanks Kim, we did Clearwater last year but have said we may try Daytona this year, we are still trying to organise the itinerary[msnwink].

I know exactly what you mean about insurance Fiona! We have to pay an extremely high premium but I tell myself that Florida is worth it.

steph_goodrum
29-09-2006, 14:52
We did get to Silver Springs this year but ran out of time before we got to the Caribbean Festival, it's definitely worth a look around. Will post some pictures soon when I get them sorted.