PDA

View Full Version : Starting a company

maverrickd
17-08-2006, 09:13
has any one out there started a property management company from start and managed to get the relevant visa from it any tips would be helpfull apart from dont do it

[edited out - this is not allowed in forum signatures]

nreece
17-08-2006, 10:31
Wow, good luck with that plan. Every one I know that's moved over to Florida to run a Property Management Company has done so by buying an existing set of clients (at least 20). I'd be really wary of just going over and setting one up without at least some established clients.
But as I say, good luck!

pieman790
17-08-2006, 13:31
I thought was under the impression that you can start up a business from scratch but you have to prove that you have been running a similar business in your home country sucessfully for a certain amount of time (think it maybe 2 years)

florida4sun
17-08-2006, 14:08
You can do it but you will have to rely on employees to set the business up for you and show an initial investment of around 100,000. Or invest 1 million straight off (gives you a better visa).
I would not even bother to try and set one up remotely, it simply will not work, you will not be able to check quality.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by maverrickd
has any one out there started a property management company from start and managed to get the relevant visa from it any tips would be helpfull apart from dont do it

[edited out - this is not allowed in forum signatures]
[/quote]

esprit
17-08-2006, 20:08
It would be very very hard to set one up remotely from the UK as Martin says though I do know of someone from another forum who started one from scratch and has run it for years with a succession of managers while she spends at least part of the year in the UK. I have alwsys thought it must be hard but she seems to manage it. She could now get a visa from it if she wanted.

I started one from scratch but was already in Florida having got a visa for a different type of business. Being here makes it a whole lot easier. To go to the embassy with a business plan for a management company to get yourself out here to set one up would be very difficult to do on E2 visa, it is even quite difficult when you buy a small existing one. You could do it on L1 but to do so would need a company in the UK that has been trading for at least a year which has accounts and employees and most importantly can continue to trade while you are here. This I think is what pieman is referring to,

MTP
18-08-2006, 03:35
Just to clarify florida4sun's figures are USD not GBP