PDA

View Full Version : Another hopeful villa owner to be?????

Joan
06-08-2003, 19:52
Hi

I am seriously thinking of buying a Villa in Florida.. I have spoken to a few villa owners who have all told me something different. Some have said don't do it! others have said buy in a gated community, some say avoid Indian Creeks ? Others say buy resale instead of new!

Any suggestions?

Lesley S
06-08-2003, 19:57
Why do they say avoid Indian Creek, we have had our villa for 3 years and have found the development to be very good, the builders Greater Homes are good reputable builders. Indian Creek is ideally located for Disney and the I4 and is close to ameneties.

chrizzy100
06-08-2003, 20:00
quote:Originally posted by Joan

Hi

I am seriously thinking of buying a Villa in Florida.. I have spoken to a few villa owners who have all told me something different. Some have said don't do it! others have said buy in a gated community, some say avoid Indian Creeks ? Others say buy resale instead of new!

Any suggestions?

Everyone has their own ideas of where and whats best...:D..so make a list for the good people here so they have some idea what you want......it all comes down to you being happy with your home in the end....good luck.....the people here are very helpful.....:)

Joan
06-08-2003, 20:03
Apparenty there will be a highway built near to Indian Creek and also a lot of villas are up for sale? Good or bad? I am not sure what this person was getting at as he lives in a gated community.

quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100

quote:Originally posted by Joan

Hi

Any suggestions?

Everyone has their own ideas of where and whats best...:D..so make a list for the good people here so they have some idea what you want......it all comes down to you being happy with your home in the end....good luck.....the people here are very helpful.....:)

chrizzy100
06-08-2003, 20:27
[quote]Originally posted by Joan

Apparenty there will be a highway built near to Indian Creek and also a lot of villas are up for sale? Good or bad? I am not sure what this person was getting at as he lives in a gated community.

[quote]Originally posted by chrizzy100

[quote]Originally posted by Joan

I'd not like a gated community myself....I've always felt safe in most of Orlando....being gated would take that away from me....again that just how I feel.....some people may like gated and feel safer that way.......

carole7007
06-08-2003, 20:42
We own on IC and were last out in June/July, after driving round many communities with a friend who is thinking of buying,

IC did not appear to have any more 'For Sale' signs than any of the other communities we visited.

fiona
06-08-2003, 22:31
Welcome to ov.com Joan.

Indian Creek is a very nice community and Greater build very good homes. It is a an excellent location being so near Disney and the restaurants at the FG shopping plaza.

You can pick carefully so your villa doesn't back onto the highway, and ALL the communities have villas up for sale.

Many people have had their fingers burnt in the past few years, particularly those that are not at all pro-active in their marketing, and end up pulling out.

Gillian-B
07-08-2003, 00:10
Hi Joan

Assuming you are planning to make personal use of a villa (and that you have been to the area before?), write a list of what you would want to see in a property/location (if you were renting). There are so many types of homes out there and locations and they all have something different to offer (e.g. some people may want a gated community, others wouldn't, some want a gamesroom, others want a garage etc. etc.). However, because it is YOUR second home, it is important to buy something that YOU will love (and the more enthusiastic you are about your home, the more it will come over to prospective renters!).

As for resale v new, again there are many pros and cons with each. Resales tend to be cheaper and may already come furnished (only good if the furniture is nice!) and equipped for rentals. Also, some of the established estates may be more central. However, new homes look fabulous and you can have fun furnishing it (and even if it is slightly further out, most people will hire a car anyway, so location won't be a big problem).

Good luck
Gillian

Joan
07-08-2003, 02:46
Thanks for all your advice which I have taken on board. I will venture out later on in the year. We have been to Florida several time and the kids love it! therefore reason for wanting to buy as a second home away from the UK.

Hopefully later on in the year I too will be a proud villa owner!

If I find the buying process a bit to much I will no doubt ask everyone for their advice!

Once again thanks![:o)][:o)]

Joan
09-08-2003, 19:20
Does anyone know the Zip codes for good resale locations near Disney I am looking a realtor.com and need to input the Zip Codes in order to perform a search in the right location.

blott
09-08-2003, 19:32
Hi Joan, try this thread http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2834&SearchTerms=zip,codes

janny
11-08-2003, 11:51
Hi Joan Glad you made it here.Told you there was lots of advice to be had.Keep us up to date with it all won't you?

Joan
11-08-2003, 18:06
Thanks Janny

I have found out a LOT!! Helps to keep things in perspective! I will keep you all updated.

esprit
12-08-2003, 08:01
The highway being built is the new Beltway. When I was looking around that area a few months ago, I was advised by a reputed realtor to avoid it until the impact of the highway on property prices could be gauged. Shame because those are some of the nearest properties to Disney and rent really well. Does anyone know the exact route the Beltway will take?

Anne
17-08-2003, 23:00
Any details on a good management company appreciated. We only hear about the bad ones. Looking for one that gets good rentals for you.

Anne

Gillian-B
18-08-2003, 02:54
Anne, from reading other posts on this forum, the general consensus would seem to be get a good management company that will look after your house really well, but don't necessarily expect to get great rentals. Our MC are great in how they look after our house, but we haven't had any rentals off them for quite a while (primarily because every time they go to put someone in our villa, we already have someone we have booked ourselves :D). There is a separate thread running under the "Buying a Florida Villa" section called "How is Your Letting Agent Doint" (sorry, I'm not sure how to create a link) - you may find that discussion interesting.

As to finding a MC, it often depends on where your villa is located as some may only deal with certain areas (I know this is true of ours as they deal with the Poinciana - Indian Wells route).

Gillian