PDA

View Full Version : WHO IS BEST? DOLLAR / ALAMO ?

The Simpsons
13-08-2006, 16:25
I am looking at hireing a 7 seater, there is little difference in the price from both companys is there any difference in the quality of vehicles.
WHO IS BEST THE RENT FROM DOLLAR OR ALAMO?

roger
13-08-2006, 17:11
Very little to choose between the two. In Florida Alamo tend to be more expensive than Dollar.

Alamo allow 1 driver on their Silver option, and up to 4 drivers on their Gold option. Dollar allow 2 drivers on their Silver option and unlimited drivers on their Gold option.

Usually Alamo allow you to choose your car within the category, from the car park. Dollar usually allow you to express your preference in terms of colour or model, and will allocate based on that subject to availabliity, but you do not physically get to see your car until you get to the vehicle allocated.

Once you have collected your car, if you decide to stay on longer, we can extend your booking at usual rate with Dollar without you having to return your car until the new return date. With Alamo, if you need to stay longer, your booking can not be extended, so you have to book a new car for the extension, and return to the depot to exchange it for a new car.

Both companies are what we consider to be the best of the many companies to choose from. There are some other companies that may be slightly cheaper, but from experience and feedback from customers the other companies do not compare in terms of car quality and car condition, as well as the way things are handled by the reps on the desk.

We have tried other companies and had no end of problems with complaints from customers, so which ever you choose out of Dollar or Alamo, I'm sure you will be happy.

One final point - if you are booking a 7 seater with Dollar and travelling before mid December this year, we are about to launch a special offer (tomorrow or Tuesday), so dont book until then!

pieman790
13-08-2006, 17:15
We have used both. Dollar are alot cheaper then Alamo and customer is similiar for both companies.
The only advantage with Alamo at MCO is you get to choose your vehicle but im not sure it worth all the extra money just for this.

The Simpsons
13-08-2006, 18:44
Thanks Rodger & Neil

Rodger i am looking at hireing a 7 seater for this Tuesday What is your special offer? and will the offer count by then?
Thanks

chrizzy100
13-08-2006, 19:29
I like Alamo...they have come out the cheapest for us this side of the pond a few times now....I'm always happy when we get them because we seem to get out the airport so much quicker..not so many lines to join...and I like picking my own car...we always get the one with the mark and have to go back and wait yet again with any other car company...

trevlad
13-08-2006, 19:40
roger does the tuesday deal extend to 4 x 4 ?? and if not why not [msnwink] was just about to book and saw this thread :D

roger
13-08-2006, 19:45
No, sorry, only the 7 seater, plus the other offers as already announced with free upgrades from Compact to Intermediate and from Intermediate to Full Size.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by trevlad
roger does the tuesday deal extend to 4 x 4 ?? and if not why not [msnwink] was just about to book and saw this thread :D
[/quote]

trevlad
13-08-2006, 19:47
ok [msnsad] 4 x 4 it is then

Paula D-S
13-08-2006, 20:09
We always use Dollar and find the service great, we did use Alamo back in 2000 but this was when you had to geet a bus to pick up the car. They are both based at the airport now which is great.

bargainqueen
15-08-2006, 01:35
I have only used Alamo once (Offsite) and because of poor customer service vowed to never use them again.

One thing that still annoys me with every car hire company we use is that even though I book the car hire and it is in my name if my husband is with me at the desk then I become invisible. One time he had to sign the form to say he was giving me permission to drive the car[msnmad] He thinks it's funny I think it's rude.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
15-08-2006, 02:03
The 7 seater offer with Dollar is now available on the site. Makes for some very nice prices on a very popular car size [msnsmile]

lynsey
16-08-2006, 17:12
hiya,

could someonetell me where the offers on car hire are? i've clicked on the link but can't see anything about free upgrades.

thanks

lynsey

roger
16-08-2006, 20:20
You just need to quote for the car type you need.

So if you quote for an Intermediate 4 door, the price given will be the price for the Compact 4 door etc.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lynsey
hiya,

could someonetell me where the offers on car hire are? i've clicked on the link but can't see anything about free upgrades.

thanks

lynsey
[/quote]

Elaine62
16-08-2006, 23:16
A couple of questions:

does this offer extend until bookings for next July?

Also if we want a full size do we ask for an intermediate or a full size?

The price quoted for a full sixe/gold option looks the same (£302.00) as when I checked the prices a few weeks ago.

Thanks

Elaine

roger
16-08-2006, 23:53
The offer is only for bookings collecting up to the end of October this year.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Elaine62
A couple of questions:

does this offer extend until bookings for next July?

Also if we want a full size do we ask for an intermediate or a full size?

The price quoted for a full sixe/gold option looks the same (£302.00) as when I checked the prices a few weeks ago.

Thanks

Elaine
[/quote]

mavrick
17-08-2006, 11:33
HI All

I use dollar, alamo will always hit your credit card when you get home after they take the imprint when you pick your car up, they have done this to me twice for £1200 it took six months to get monies back dollar are great

steve

roger
17-08-2006, 11:58
I think you've been unlucky. I've looked back through our past 500 Alamo orders and had 1 person been charged this sort of amount (in fact, less than half that amount), and it was a result of them not taking their voucher with them.

Out of the last 3000 Dollar orders, we've had a few more, but again all due to not having taken their voucher with them.

All those cases have been resolved and refunded within around 4 weeks.

There have been a few where clients have returned the car late (over 1 hour late) and therefore been charged an extra day, with both companies. Of these, several have had this refunded as a gesture of goodwill.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mavrick
HI All

I use dollar, alamo will always hit your credit card when you get home after they take the imprint when you pick your car up, they have done this to me twice for £1200 it took six months to get monies back dollar are great

Tks steve
[/quote]

becbecs
17-08-2006, 13:45
We have only ever used Dollar and have no complaints at all.
We hired the 7 seater Chrysler Town & Country last year on our trip to Florida and it was perfect. Very Spacious

I believe that the equivalent model in the UK is called the Voyager or Grand Voyager

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by The Simpsons
I am looking at hireing a 7 seater, there is little difference in the price from both companys is there any difference in the quality of vehicles.
WHO IS BEST THE RENT FROM DOLLAR OR ALAMO?
[/quote]

MICKEYSDEN
17-08-2006, 16:53
Roger
Does that mean that someone like one who didn't read it correct[msncry] and ordered an intermediate car and a compact car will not receive the upgrades.
[msnembarrased]

roger
17-08-2006, 17:39
For a few days last week you had to choose the lower car and we automatically upgraded it to the larger car. As from this week, we simply adjusted the prices of the cars, so you just choose the car you actually do want, and would just be quoted and charged for the lower car category.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by MICKEYSDEN
Roger
Does that mean that someone like one who didn't read it correct[msncry] and ordered an intermediate car and a compact car will not receive the upgrades.
[msnembarrased]
[/quote]

GrahamC
19-08-2006, 12:17
We have used both over the last few years, and there is not a lot to chose between them. For the last couple of trips we have used Dollar, and been totally happy with the service.

The 7 seater we picked up this trip had 1500 miles on the clock. It could not have been much newer.

T2M
19-08-2006, 16:54
Hi Roger, You say "them not taking their voucher with them" for car rental, looks to me like it can cause a problem. I go on Thursday and have car hire for the first time (Alamo), is this voucher something they give you at the deck and you get it stamped in and out of the car park?

Second thing, (I know to came here for car hire now I found this site) ;)

My e-ticket for Alamo says Unlimited mileage, Collision and damage waiver, Theft protection, 3rd party insurance, city airport surcharges, road tax, vat tax and Additional liability insurance. is this about the same as say Silver cover? do I need to up it when I get there?

Thanks for all your help :)

roger
19-08-2006, 18:30
The voucher is something that your travel agent will send you, and is effectively your booking (usually an e-ticket these days). It is what you show when you collect your car. Without it you can either not pick up your car, or you are charged again for your car at Alamo / Dollar's local rate which is very high!

The only item not included in your list that really is very important is UMP (Uninsured / Under-Insured Motorist Protection). This covers you in the event or damage to the car caused by another driver that has not got adequate insurance cover. Many drivers in the US do not have proper cover, so you must have this. If not included in your rental through the agent you booked with then you can expect to pay anything from $10 to $20 per day when you pick up your car.

Our Silver cover includes all the above.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by T2M
Hi Roger, You say "them not taking their voucher with them" for car rental, looks to me like it can cause a problem. I go on Thursday and have car hire for the first time (Alamo), is this voucher something they give you at the deck and you get it stamped in and out of the car park?

Second thing, (I know to came here for car hire now I found this site) ;)

My e-ticket for Alamo says Unlimited mileage, Collision and damage waiver, Theft protection, 3rd party insurance, city airport surcharges, road tax, vat tax and Additional liability insurance. is this about the same as say Silver cover? do I need to up it when I get there?

Thanks for all your help :)
[/quote]

T2M
19-08-2006, 20:19
Thanks Roger, makes sense now, I do have my e-ticket with booking details and I will up the insurance when I get there, I booked flights and car hire with expedia just in case you was wondering.. thanks again :)