PDA

View Full Version : upgrades with dollar

wildcherry
12-08-2006, 21:24
Hi all,

We have hired a standard car through travel city direct and was thinking of upgrading to luxury car. Do you think it would be cheaper to do this with dollar on arrival or do upgrade here through tcd.?

ShirleyD
12-08-2006, 21:59
Upgrade here....we once ordered a car that was too small for all our bags and the upgrade cost more than the car in the first place as we got it at a discounted rate.

trevlad
13-08-2006, 01:43
now i always follow the principal of getting it here and now, but that depends on who you book with in the first place.

take this web car company, they are very very competitive but can be beaten by a fly drive drive package depending how the car cost is broken down. its not a fair comparison really. but if you book certainly thru say the virgin web who are expensive then an upgrade is gonna cost you more

some people say see if you can get a free upgrade and sometimes when you get there they have an upgrade deal on or no cars of your class left(rare i would say).

pays your money takes your choice, as said i would do it here , but why not get your quote from tcd and also get one from here , and then decide , as you may save money by cancelling your tcd car and getting one here?

its something we never remember to do but also why not ask what the cost wouldve been when you get there and post it for everyone when you get back

kitty
15-08-2006, 13:03
We hired a standard car with tcd 2 years ago and upgraded at the airport to a lincoln towncar at the cost of $90,we had a gorgeous car at a cheap price,this year we didnt do the upgrade but when we went into the compound to pick up our car we couldnt find it and was told they didnt have the car anymorethat we had been allocated.
Myself and children had to wait in the car park while hubby went in to register for another one and we were upgraded to people carrier at no charge,so in future we would always wait till getting to dollar to upgrade.[msncool]

wildcherry
17-08-2006, 18:25
Hi thanks for all your advice. I think I will do as Kitty did and try my luck at upgrading with dollar at the airport. I will let you know if it was a success or one of those moments you live to regret!!

thanks once again

mandy

steph_goodrum
17-08-2006, 19:29
Mandy
Shame you hadn't booked through this site as they are offering a free upgrade on cars picked up before Oct 31st. I'm sure I can soon find a much better use for the £70 I've saved on a 3 week hire.:)

kokomo
18-08-2006, 15:37
Steph, does that also include vehicles that are booked before the 31st October[?]

steph_goodrum
18-08-2006, 18:36
It's only new bookings I believe not existing ones. It's been on offer for a week or so now.

roger
18-08-2006, 18:59
If you book between now and end of October, and your collection date is by the end of October, then you get the Intermediate for the price of a Compact, and the Full Size for the price of an Intermediate.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by kokomo
Steph, does that also include vehicles that are booked before the 31st October[?]
[/quote]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
18-08-2006, 19:08
It's all built directly into the car hire quoter on our sites so the upgrade is given automatically.

kokomo
18-08-2006, 19:31
Looks like we will miss out as we don't fly out until the 11th November.[msnsad]

chrizzy100
18-08-2006, 20:14
Can my dad phone the same number to book a car in FL and in MA....??

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
18-08-2006, 20:21
Yes, as long as they are not a US or Canadian citizen and have a driving licence in English.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
Can my dad phone the same number to book a car in FL and in MA....??

[/quote]

chrizzy100
18-08-2006, 21:54
They are coming over to the US for 6 weeks.....it would be so much easier if they could do everything their end...my mum worries if she does not have all the info herself...[msnsmile2]

And I always pick the wrong thing...wrong car..wrong hotel...etc ..etc....LOL!

sammibabe
27-08-2006, 17:28
When we went we upgraded at the airport. They offered the upgrade at $25 per day and we declined. She was really pushing it and the price kept coming down and it ended up at $10 per day extra. I was glad we had taken it as I don't think we would have got all our return cases in otherwise[msneek]

bushbaby
28-08-2006, 23:39
If you say no to an upgrade
they will eventually stop at $ 10 per day by giving you many of the codes available to them
I have never upgraded at a higher price than this
to save any hassle book the car you want from the ov site above

bushbaby

orlandodaze
03-09-2006, 04:51
Thank you for the advise &lt;Andy ,will try and remember it for when we are at the airport .