PDA

View Full Version : DOLLAR EXPRESS

DIKKO29
11-08-2006, 22:36
Hi all,

When applying for dollar express membership you have to say whether or not you want to accept or decline the various areas below:

*Loss Damage Waiver ("LDW"): Choose Accept Decline
*Personal Accident Insurance / Personal Effects Protection ("PAI/PEP"): Choose Accept Decline
*Supplemental Liability Insurance ("SLI"): Choose Accept Decline
*Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Protection ("UMP"):

Could someone explain what they mean and which ones are worth getting and why when renting a car and anything elses that may be of relevance to me.

Many thanks

Tony

blott
12-08-2006, 03:17
If you're renting a car from the OV site http://www.floridahire.com/ then LDW (or CDW), SLI and UMP are already included in the rental price.

If you've got a travel insurance policy (which you should have for USA) then you don't need the PAI or PEP as these risks would be covered on your existing travel policy.

If you're covered twice for the same risk, then each insurance policy would only pay a portion each if you needed to claim. In other words, it's not cost effective to cover the same risk twice with two different insurances as you won't be able to claim the same hazard twice.

ShirleyD
12-08-2006, 03:41
When I did ours I ticket accept to LDW SLI and UMP as we always get those included when we rent through this site. I suppose they really only matter if you rent from them direct as you will probably be charged seperately.

blott
12-08-2006, 03:58
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ShirleyD
When I did ours I ticket accept to LDW SLI and UMP as we always get those included when we rent through this site. I suppose they really only matter if you rent from them direct as you will probably be charged seperately.[/quote]Let's hope you don't get charged for them all over again then.

Robert5988
12-08-2006, 14:50
Much of the USA on-line rental is designed for US motorists who can get insurance cover for rental cars from their own private car insurance. Most companies will not let you rent a car without some form of LDW/CDW cover.

You will find it very difficult to get a car as cheap as one of the UK agencies like the one Blott has given.

roger
12-08-2006, 16:27
As already said above, you do not need to select any of these with our package. I'm not sure if selecting these will automatically mean you are charged for them when renting through us, but to make sure, if you have selected the above, you can always log back in to the Express member area to remove them.

As Blott says, Personal Insurance should not be necessary if you have a proper travel insurance policy, which you certainly should have if travelling to the USA.

DIKKO29
12-08-2006, 17:47
Ive got insurance with direct travel as recommended by various people from the forum so looks like i'm covered and i'll log back into dollar express to clear other options not needed

Thanks for help

Tony

MTP
14-08-2006, 03:02
This thread is obviously running in tandem with the other, Roger would it be possible for you to confirm with Dollar what we should do if we wish to join Express to avoid any confusion?

roger
14-08-2006, 11:50
I'm not quite sure what you want me to check with Dollar, but to reiterate, you should not select any of the options mentioned above when you join Dollar Express.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by MTP
This thread is obviously running in tandem with the other, Roger would it be possible for you to confirm with Dollar what we should do if we wish to join Express to avoid any confusion?
[/quote]

MTP
14-08-2006, 13:14
Hi Roger,

It was just to check that by selecting none of the options the reverse of what happened to me wouldn't occur ie although we receive LDW, SLI and UMP with the rental voucher from yourselves that they wouldn't over-rule this when you collected the car and apply your Dollar Express account profile options where these are declined. Equally if you did have to make a claim that they wouldn't then try to use the fact that you have declined these options in your Dollar Express account to get out of covering you.

Have to say I am very wary of the whole thing after our experience.

roger
14-08-2006, 14:05
I confirm that declining the insurances as part of your Dollar Express sign-up does not negate them from your rental with Dollar through our pre-paid vouchers.

When you collect your car, you will sign a rental agreement provided by Dollar. On this you will see each item of insurance listed on the agreement as 'included', other than personal insurances (listed as PPP and ESP) which are (or should be) part of your own travel insurance.

Obviously, as always, it is down to you to check when signing any agreement that everything you know should be included is on the paperwork.

MTP
14-08-2006, 16:53
Thanks for the re-assurance Roger, I suspect that part of the problem may have been to do with the person dealing with our car hire at the time and perhaps I should have pursued it further with a manager at the location, but you know what it is like when you arrive - you just want to get the car and get to the villa.

Val
06-09-2006, 20:57
I have registered with Dollar express and in their email they said that my Dollar express card would be in the post shortly, but have never received one, just wondered if anyone else has had this problem. Have my number but no card.

Val

jimmymac
06-09-2006, 21:04
Val

I never received mine either, if you need a temporary one, go into the members section and it states "order a new card" then it will produce one for you to print off.

James

floridageoff
06-09-2006, 22:08
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Val
I have registered with Dollar express and in their email they said that my Dollar express card would be in the post shortly, but have never received one, just wondered if anyone else has had this problem. Have my number but no card.

Val
[/quote]Received ours today after joining on 10th July, so nearly 2 months. I just happened to email Dollar yesterday asking where it was and like magic it turned up today! [msnsmile2]

Val
07-09-2006, 19:50
Thanks for the tip off James about the members section but after reading that it can take up to two months to receive a card perhaps I am not being patient enough. I did send them a mail the other day but as yet had no reply.

Val

GrahamC
07-09-2006, 21:31
Ours took 6/7 weeks to arrive so a delay is quite normal.

walden64
07-09-2006, 22:40
We only joined Dollar Express on 4 August and we received our card in the post today. [clap][clap]

Michelle

sunseeker
09-09-2006, 01:16
recieved mine after 12 days :D :D :D

Dave

MTP
11-09-2006, 01:33
Well, gulp, I have just submitted an application to join Dollar Express again - I declined everything and denied all knowledge, so I just hope it works this time!

Fran19
27-09-2006, 17:51
We joined Dollar Express way back in June this year and have never received a card!!!

lisi
27-09-2006, 20:24
Pardon my ignorance - can anyone explain what Dollar Express is and how you join? Is it an advantage to have it?

Lisi

KevinT
28-09-2006, 14:24
Hi Lisi,

Dollar Express is a free to join membership operated by Dollar. You join via the Dollar website by registering all the details that Dollar would normally need from you when booking out a car (drivers licence details/ credit card etc. and you get a membership card.

It can save you time if the airport you arrive at is busy as the Dollar express member is normally given preferential treatment. Some airports have dedicated Dollar Express check in counters (like Orlando MCO) Others , like Sanford do not, but normally the person allocating people from the queue can be approached directly, and will pass you to the next available clerk. Obviously, if there's little or no queue you don't gain a lot, but at busy times it can save a considerable amount of time both in the queue and processing time (as they already have all the required information on their computers)

If you do a search on this forum you will find other info about Dollar Express . You will find some useful bits in this thread: http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_32981.asp

Usually the Dollar Express service is just valid for people renting directly through Dollar, but if you book a Dollar car through this site, your D/E number can be noted on the car voucher and will be recognized by Dollar.

For the infrequent journey to USA it's maybe not worth registering, but if you travel quite often it can save quite a bit of time. [msnsmile2]

nicseg
28-09-2006, 19:59
We are due to fly out in Feb 07 - looks like I need to apply quickly for my card - it may turn up in time it may not.... thanks for the advance warning on this !

Sue

lisi
01-10-2006, 00:11
Thanks Kevin - I now understand. Perhaps it won't be any good for me as we only go once a year mores the pity!! But I can investigate and see what no 1 son says

Lisi