PDA

View Full Version : shocking news but praise is due

trevlad
10-08-2006, 12:46
just breaking is the shocking news that the police foiled an attempt to blow up perhaps 20 transatlantic plans mid flight. this story will evolve thru the coming days but... i must praise and thank all those involved in foiling this plan. only weeks ago people were calling for the heads of officers and bosses involved in the unfortunate death of that brazillian lad - the story will be different now.

yes it is very worrying but i will still travel for one

LiesaAnna
10-08-2006, 13:03
glad im not travelling at the moment, but yes thank God this has been found out before it was to late!!

kitty
10-08-2006, 14:34
Shocking news i just hope all who are off today and in the next few days reach there destination without too much disruption

KJH
10-08-2006, 14:54
It's s sign of the times but I think we all have to be more vigilant and aware. The only problem is, it may have been foiled today but what about the future.

Just thank God they've been stopped for now.

mfairhurst
10-08-2006, 15:09
We HAVE TO HELP ALL STAFF AT AIRPORTS AND HELP ALL WE CAN AND COMPLY WITH ALL AIRPORT security and do not let them the terrorist win ,We flew via ATLANTA after 9/11 and the security was great and we were never late taking of to ORLANDO so we have to be patient we can do it as well .
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

Sniff
10-08-2006, 16:00
Heathrow is now closed to incoming flights, as the extra security precautions have delayed outgoing flights to such an extent there are no slots in which to put extra aircraft.

Incidentally, the company I work for runs the BA reservations systems, and they have just placed an immediate 'freeze' on all software changes (ie no changes allowed to be made) until further notice. This is usually a sign from BA that major disruptions are affected and they anticipate huge numbers of flight changes (hence they want stable systems). So you can anticipate massive disruptions for the rest of this week at least.

jolliffee
10-08-2006, 16:36
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mfairhurst
We HAVE TO HELP ALL STAFF AT AIRPORTS AND HELP ALL WE CAN AND COMPLY WITH ALL AIRPORT security and do not let them the terrorist win ,We flew via ATLANTA after 9/11 and the security was great and we were never late taking of to ORLANDO so we have to be patient we can do it as well .
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx
[/quote]

This is from the BAA Web Site, and may help you plan your packing and be prepared for these restrictions, if you plan to travel over the next few days:-

Hand baggage restrictions:

These measures will prevent passengers from carrying hand luggage into the cabin of an aircraft with the following exceptionss - which must be placed in a plastic bag:

Pocket-size wallets and pocket-size purses plus contents such as
money, credit cards, identity cards - But not handbags

Travel documents essential for the journey such as passports and
tickets

Prescription medicines and medical items sufficient and essential
for the flight - for example a diabetic kit - except in liquid form
unless verified as authentic

Spectacles and sunglasses, without cases

Contact lens holders, without bottles of solution

For those travelling with an infant: baby food, milk - the contents
of each bottle must be tasted by the accompanying passenger - and
sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight - nappies, wipes, creams and nappy disposal bags

Female sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight, if
unboxed, such as tampons, pads, towels and wipes

Tissues (unboxed) and/or handkerchiefs

Keys, but no electrical key fobs.

All passengers must be hand searched, and their footwear and all the items they are carrying must be x-ray screened.

Pushchairs and walking aids must be x-ray screened,and only
airport-provided wheelchairs may pass through the screening point.

In addition to the above, all passengers boarding flights to the USA and all the items they are carrying, including those acquired after the central screening point, must be subjected to a secondary search at the boarding gate. Any liquids discovered must be removed from the passenger.

ALR
10-08-2006, 17:15
It's a sad state of affairs, but I think that anyone travelling despite the delays will be thankful that staff at airports are going to such lengths for the safety of the passengers.

ALR

jovi
10-08-2006, 17:38
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ALR
It's a sad state of affairs, but I think that anyone travelling despite the delays will be thankful that staff at airports are going to such lengths for the safety of the passengers.

ALR
[/quote]

[clap][clap] Here, here

Snapper
10-08-2006, 20:53
Peeps, I have just started a thread in the owner's area of the forums where we, as a group of owners, can talk about how we can help our guests make the best of this situation.

I would like to encourage everyone here who is not an owner to use this thread to be involved in this discussion. We genuinely want to help in any way we can; we just don't know yet what that way is. We can't promise anything but we can try our hardest wherever reasonably possible. So please do post any ideas and suggestions you might have. There is no such thing as a daft suggestion and it might just make the difference to someone's holiday/vacation.

Heaps of thanks in advance for all your input.

Madabouttigger
10-08-2006, 21:35
I for one will continue to fly, and as Maureen stated will do what ever the airlines ask. Supporting the airline staff during these difficult times is a must.

Diane.

linda allen
10-08-2006, 22:12
Flying is still in my opinion the safest form of travel. I will continue to fly.
Having worked for BA and having a husband who still does, I have no doudt at all that it is safer to fly today than it ever has been.

chrizzy100
10-08-2006, 22:40
I think in this day and age we have to take onboard as little Hand baggage as we can get away with...I take on a handbag...from today that is down to a small purse...it gives the airport more time to check through the Hand baggage of other people...if everyone cut down to just what was needed..tickets... money..passports etc we could think about doing away with hand baggage all together...over head bins should be lockable if you ask me...people with no baggage could then get off first and on first...

Katys Grandad
10-08-2006, 23:57
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by linda allen
Flying is still in my opinion the safest form of travel. I will continue to fly.
Having worked for BA and having a husband who still does, I have no doudt at all that it is safer to fly today than it ever has been.
[/quote]

I totally agree that flying is a very safe way to travel. The problem with these new restrictions is that they have turned what for many is a barely tolerable experience into an endurance test.

At this point I would say don't make any rash decsions either way. Hastily cancelling may be a decsion to regret. That said, I won't be rushing to book a new transatlantic flight just now.

The more severe restrictions might not last long and, as with most things, we might just get used to it.

(Anybody give me a good price for a second hand pair of noise cancelling headphones?)

Kissyme
11-08-2006, 00:05
I totally agree with you I take a small handbag with the house/car keys, my purse and the money, Keith takes a flight bag with the tickets and passports and other holiday documents and whatever we buy there (magazines and a paper) we stuff into the flight bag.

The Simpsons
11-08-2006, 00:28
DON'T let them win, STILL FLY these people need to know that us British people are strong folk.
FLYING TODAY MUST BE BETTER THAN FLYING YESTERDAY "WITH ALL THE EXTRA SECURITY MEASURES NOW TAKING PLACE" We are due to fly Tuesday! Stay strong and be vigilant!
DON'T LET THE TERRORIST WIN!

Sniff
11-08-2006, 01:24
I think the time is rapidly approaching when the public must make a decision - do they want to travel in relative security and safety from terrorism (there being no guarantees of course) and accept the 4 or 5 hours it will take to search, question and board the 500 people wishing to travel on your average transatlantic flight? Or do they want to continue to enjoy the 'check in 2 hours before boarding' and risk the security staff missing something in their rush to get people through the gates?

Incidents like this will eventually force a fundamental change in the way airlines operate, and I fully expect many of them to start enforcing extended check-in times, little or no hand luggage (all of which will be searched, not just a random selection) and increased security checks. I also expect airports to restrict much, much more the ability to wander around the airport once you've been through security. Shopping will be done land-side - once you're air-side you'll effectively be isolated, otherwise it's just to easy to get hold of something that could be used as a weapon.

It's a sad reflection on the times, but I think it will be necessary for the airline industry to survive. An incident such as today has catastrophic effects on an airline such as BA. Not only will they spend the next week trying to get their schedule back on track (even if the restrictions ended immediately it would take them at least a week to get aircraft back in the right places) but the effects will rumble on in the business for a long time. It took years for the transatlantic routes to recover after 9/11, and whilst this incident (thank god) involved no loss of life, you can bet it will put a lot of people off flying in and out of the UK for the rest of this year, if not longer.

However, it being an ill wind and everything, I fully expect there to be some incredible deals on transatlantic flights available this autumn for those who are prepared to fly.

linda allen
11-08-2006, 02:16
Lets get this into perspective. Intellegence has never been better. They foiled this barbaric attempt. It has no comparison with 9/11 or 7/7. We should be congratulating the forces involved and thanking our lucky stars that no one was hurt.
We cannot live our lives avoiding things because of what might happen. I remember not so long ago it was thought there was a terror target on big shopping centers in the uk as well as football stadiums.
BA and other airlines can and will cope with the extra security. So what an extra hour or so for safety, when you get to Florida or where ever your destination is it will be worth it.
Lets not let these very few people ruin our lives.

orlandodaze
11-08-2006, 04:04
We must continue to fly or the terrorists have won ,and even if we have long delays and have to undergo some discomfort we all know the Security people are only doing their job and that it is crutial for the safety of passengers and staff . It will take a bit of getting used to travelling with little or no hand luggage but if that what it takes so be it . Im looking forward to seeing dear old Florida in 2007 God Willing .

ShirleyD
11-08-2006, 04:22
As after 9/11 people will have to make sure they arrive at airports in plenty of time. Things will calm down and in the meantime with the extra security travel is very safe.
I don't think the airlines will have too much trouble with their schedules tommorrow, due to the large number of cancelled flights today.
There is no way this would stop me from flying and visiting Florida. It is comforting to know that our security forces are doing their job and protecting us.

Sniff
11-08-2006, 11:56
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i]
I don't think the airlines will have too much trouble with their schedules tommorrow, due to the large number of cancelled flights today.[/quote]
Actually Shirley, just the opposite is true. The airlines will have massive problems with their schedules today, for the very reason that they cancelled a lot of flights yesterday. For example, BA cancelled over 200 flights yesterday, over a third of it's planned operations, and that's just from Heathrow. That means that this morning, all those aircraft are not where they are supposed to be, and that has impacts all over the network. It'll be next week at the earliest by the time everything is back to normal.

Sniff
11-08-2006, 12:01
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by linda allen
Lets get this into perspective. Intellegence has never been better. They foiled this barbaric attempt. It has no comparison with 9/11 or 7/7. We should be congratulating the forces involved and thanking our lucky stars that no one was hurt.
We cannot live our lives avoiding things because of what might happen. I remember not so long ago it was thought there was a terror target on big shopping centers in the uk as well as football stadiums.
BA and other airlines can and will cope with the extra security. So what an extra hour or so for safety, when you get to Florida or where ever your destination is it will be worth it.
Lets not let these very few people ruin our lives.

[/quote]
That's a great sentiment Linda, and I agree with you. But unfortunately a lot of the flying public won't agree. Americans are notorious for staying at home at the slightest provocation (my apologies to all our American friends:)) and something like this will impact load factors. I guarantee that when BA next announce their business figures, they will have dropped below predicted figures, and BA will blame yesterday for a large part of that.

Katys Grandad
11-08-2006, 12:31
At best, there will be a few cancellations. At worst, greatly reduced bookings.

I agree with every sentiment expressed on here about not letting terorists dictate the way we live our lives but people have a choice as to whether they spend their money on flying. I can't see many being encouraged to take more trips by what has happened or by the security response.

Sniff
11-08-2006, 15:06
BA has just extended it's system freeze until Monday at the the earliest. This is an indication that they expect large scale rebookings of passengers and associated aircraft movements - so expect the chaos to continue over the weekend.:(

Sniff
14-08-2006, 14:28
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Sniff
BA has just extended it's system freeze until Monday at the the earliest. This is an indication that they expect large scale rebookings of passengers and associated aircraft movements - so expect the chaos to continue over the weekend.:(
[/quote]
BA just extended their software freeze yet again, this time until 08:00 GMT on Wednesday 16th August. This implies that they expect disruption on their flight schedules until at least then.

Jill
14-08-2006, 17:57
It will be interesting to see what the long term outcome of all this is on travel to and from the continent as BAA have told airlines they need a 30%, now downgraded to 20%, cut in the number of flights to operate normally. Will this mean we will now see an increase in the number of flights operating both short and long haul from more regional airports.

I wonder how long it is going to take to clear the backlog of cargo and overseas mail that has not been flowing into and out of the country since last week as carriers have had to allocate extra space in the holds for hand luggage and the time for all the additional checks.

Sniff
14-08-2006, 18:48
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Jill
It will be interesting to see what the long term outcome of all this is on travel to and from the continent as BAA have told airlines they need a 30%, now downgraded to 20%, cut in the number of flights to operate normally. Will this mean we will now see an increase in the number of flights operating both short and long haul from more regional airports.[/quote]
I think it will Jill. The result of a 20% decrease in flights operating out of BAA-owned airports (ie Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted,
Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen & Southampton) will most likely (in the way of these things!) mean a 20% increase in landing fees. That'll drive most of the lower-cost carriers away to the other airports.

Even if BAA don't put their fees up, a reduction in flights will mean something or someone will have to give, and I guarantee BA won't be giving up slots.

In the long-run that might be better for the consumer, especially those that can't (or won't) easily travel to LHR, LGW etc.

Sniff
16-08-2006, 14:34
[/quote]
BA just extended their software freeze yet again, this time until 08:00 GMT on Wednesday 16th August. This implies that they expect disruption on their flight schedules until at least then.
[/quote]
BA just extended their software freeze yet again, this time until 08:00 GMT on Thursday 17th August. Clearly the schedules are still considerably disrupted. 35 BA flights have been cancelled at LHR today & 11 at LGW. 19 cancellations are expected at LHR tomorrow, none at Gatwick. Operations are expected to be back to normal by Friday.

Incidentally that now makes over 1100 flights BA has cancelled in the past week.

Sniff
17-08-2006, 13:54
[/quote]
[/quote]
BA just extended their software freeze yet again, this time until 08:00 GMT on Thursday 17th August. Clearly the schedules are still considerably disrupted. 35 BA flights have been cancelled at LHR today & 11 at LGW. 19 cancellations are expected at LHR tomorrow, none at Gatwick. Operations are expected to be back to normal by Friday.

Incidentally that now makes over 1100 flights BA has cancelled in the past week.
[/quote]
BA just extended their software freeze yet again, this time until 08:00 GMT on Monday 21st August :(

Sniff
21-08-2006, 13:51
BA have just lifted their software freeze, which is an indication they feel all the disruptions to their fleet and schedules are now resolved.