PDA

View Full Version : Car Hire - Fuel

Pluto
03-08-2006, 17:41
We have booked our car hire (from this site of course)and taken the Gold Insurance. When we return the car at the airport do we need to have a full tank of petrol or do we leave the car empty. I seem to remember it is left empty, but don't want to make the mistake and get charged extra from Dollar.

Thanks for your help

roger
03-08-2006, 17:47
Return the car as empty as you can, as you have paid for the tank of fuel with the Gold option.

pieman790
03-08-2006, 18:02
We normally have the low fuel warning light on as we get back to the airport. Not something i would recommend but we always have the gold option and would recommend it.

another
03-08-2006, 20:52
we always take the gold insurance and take back the car 'running on vapours'!![msnsmile2]

jackie greaves
03-08-2006, 23:23
I hate running on empty, and always end up taking the car back with some fuel in it even though we have the gold option:D

Lisa C
03-08-2006, 23:49
We were near to running on empty on our last visit flying out of Sanford. This is usually fine, only we got caught up with the traffic going to see the Shuttle launch and crawled along for miles.

Well, Colm was getting more anxious by the minute and I was trying to be reassuring whilst making plans in my head for if we did run out. Anyway we finally got past the traffic with clear roads ahead but we decided to turn off and get petrol.

So the moral of this story is, stick a fiver in it incase of delays. It just isn't worth the worry and it's cheaper than a marriage councillor!

chrisflowers
04-08-2006, 11:46
I agree with the above. It is always wise to have some spare in the tank for emergencies/delays, but it is far better than the other option without the fuel where you have to visit the gas station as you approach the airport to ensure that it is full.

domster
04-08-2006, 12:54
We were saved by the last garage on the way to Sanford Airport. I think the fumes kept us going until we lurched the car to the fuel pump and then put in a few dollars...the guy must have thought I was a right old cheapskate.

freddiehollie
04-08-2006, 18:47
Dom

I bet the garages near the airports are used to Brit tourists just putting in a couple of Dollars of fuel in the tanks. Its not that were tight, were just spent up [msnwink][msnwink]

Albert the Frog
04-08-2006, 19:35
We once had to return a hire car in Los Angeles and were trying to run it down-we didn't anticipate the LA rush hour and being stuck on a 6 lane highway with the petrol light flashing-I panicked-came off at the first reachable exit and went to the roughest petrol station I have ever seen-metal grilles everywhere-crowds of yoofs-the usual thing-i felt very vulnerable.

For that one reason alone-i will NEVER run a hire car down as low as that again! As has been stated it's not worth it for a few dollars.

The Cardinal
11-08-2006, 21:13
Push it into the airport if needs be...

[}:)]

Pluto
14-08-2006, 17:14
Thanks everyone.

I did think I had to leave it empty, but I did't want to get it wrong!!

Thanks for your help