PDA

View Full Version : What is Kennedy Space centre like?

ncmurray
02-08-2006, 22:29
I have had a look through previous topics, and can't find anyone saying what they thought of it. We have three children, aged 11 and 10 (girls), and one 7 year old boy. Would they be interested? Is it worth the trip in an already busy holiday?

I look forward to hearing your views.

christhear
02-08-2006, 22:49
My son aged 9 enjoys going to Kennedy Space Centre and so did all the adults in our Party. there is a coach trip that takes you around the area, you see the hanger that the Space shuttle is prepared in, can see the launch pads from a viewing tower and also go to another area housing a Saturn V rocket. BAck at the main visitor centre there are plenty of other exhibits including the IMAX theatre. If you are going between now and august 27th you would be lucky enough to see the shuttle out on the launch pad.
We thoroughly enjoy going here, it is a much more relaxed day than the Theme parks and takes just over an hour from Orlando.

solanasunshine
02-08-2006, 23:01
In a word - Fabulous!!!

One of our and our 10 year old son's favourite places to visit. [msnsmile2]

mfairhurst
02-08-2006, 23:09
It is a place for all ages from school age children to seniors its an education and the all the old rockets are there plus last new ones and gifts to buy .Well worth a visit .
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

CERICROWLEY
02-08-2006, 23:16
I would suggest if you are going between now and launch date, that you take the up close and personal tour. We did this when Columbia was on the launch pad before their fatal launch. We will never forget it.

ALR
02-08-2006, 23:28
We are hoping to try this on our next trip. My husband and son would love it, but I'm not sure if my 18 year old daughter would be sufficiently interested.

ALR

eagleydo
02-08-2006, 23:48
We all enjoyed this visit, so much that we didn't realise the time and ended up still being there when the park had closed for the public. We hadn't realised because we had been out by the rocket graveyard and could see people still around, as we walked back near to the main area we realised that there was a private party going on for one of the astronauts and we walked quickly back to our car which stood totally alone in the massive public carpark. When asked to describe our day out the word WOW!!! seemed to be everyone's reply. Do take time to visit you will be pleased.

ncmurray
02-08-2006, 23:54
That all sounds good to me. I'm just off to book our tickets, (from this site, of course), and I will definitely put the Kenndey Space Centre on the list. Thanks for all your help.:)

AshleyLodge
03-08-2006, 03:02
I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. It really is fascinating. Ther is just so much to see we felt we should have spent 2 days there to do it justice. I think you will find some articles on it in the guide.

Have fun!

farawayfan
03-08-2006, 10:15
I haven't actually got to this part in my trip report yet, but we had a really good day. I would say though that to get the best out of the day you should be there early.

The bus tour is very good but takes a huge chunk out of the day and we actually had to cut it short in order to do other things we wanted to do.

My kids are DS15, DD11 and DS9. The boys certainly enjoyed it - possibly DD less so.

It definitely makes a nice change from the pace of the Disney and Universal parks though.

Robert5988
03-08-2006, 16:27
I posted this before but I don't think KSC appeals to everyone.

My place is quite close by and several friends have been and(particularly the girls/ladies) were pretty bored by the whole experience. The Saturn rocket is hugely impressive but not the the rest.

I certainly will not return - it is not a patch(IMO) on EPCOT.

taylona
03-08-2006, 17:15
If your interested in the space programme, or your children have done anything on space and shown an interest, they usually find it interesting. My Year 2s learn about famous people and we did Neil Armstrong. They were all interested in him and enjoyed seeing my photos of KSC...I think the girls asked more questions than the boys which was great to see.

When I did the extended tour I would say my youngest daughter who was only 5 wasn't so keen. However we've been back since and at 8 she was much more interested. They are excited to see a shuttle launch...as are mum and dad! [msnwink]

ncmurray
03-08-2006, 17:23
Has anyone else (apart from Ceri) tried the up-close and personal tour, and do you think it is worth it? There is a launch due early September, so does this tour mean you can get closer to the shuttle? I haven't booked tickets yet because we would be interested in doing this if it is worth it, but the ticket link here doesn't allow that option. Also, does anyone know if you can buy tickets at the gate?

thanks again

McjohnjM
03-08-2006, 18:43
Hi Nuala,
We have two teenage girls and both of them love Kennedy Space centre, the first time we went they were about 8 and 10 and the last time they were 15 and 17 and still enjoyed it. You can buy tickets on the gate as our friends did at Christmas time, they also took with them a 21 year old girl and a 17 year old boy and all the family enjoyed it. Have not tried the up close and personal but I believe it is well worth it, so will consider doing next time we go.

Kim & John

fj2k
06-08-2006, 01:30
brother in law wants to do the now and then tour when we go in november but im not sure if it looks much fun!! going to give the lunch with an astranout a try so ill post what that is like when we get back, if anyone has any feedback on then and now tour id appreciate it

Robert5988
09-08-2006, 04:31
I find when a question like this is posed it rarely gets a balanced response. Those who love KSC post on the thread and those who didn't enjoy it rarely do - I wonder if it is for fear of appearing negative. I therefore found the initial post regarding KSC on the thread below interesting as it was objective without being critical; and the other posts about KSC were balanced.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_32873.asp

CarolAnn
09-08-2006, 15:30
I have been over to KSC 3 times now, and can honestly say that the first time, 15 years ago, left me a little cold. Think that was primarily due to tiredness (our first trip and trying to fit in loads!!), and compared with the excitement of the theme parks and shopping , it was just not that much fun I guess? However, having been twice more, the last time time with an older child and with the new format of ticketing and tours, I can honestly say, I LOVED it!! We do tend to pop into Ron Jon's (24 hours!!) on the journey home too! So, I would say it IS worth going to , but in an ideal world, don't view Florida as a once in a lifetime trip and try to cram too much in to 14 days....it really is worth spreading the excitment and sunshine over more than one trip, amazingly it spreads the cost better too.:)