PDA

View Full Version : general question

ncmurray
31-07-2006, 15:30
Hi

We have visited Orlando a couple of times now, but have never done any of the water parks. We have four days on our hopper tickets, and plan to use some of them this time. Is it possible to seat yourself somewhere, and just watch the kids, or do you have to be with them all the time (kids aged 11,10, and 7). Are there life guards around? How easy is it to lose someone? (not that I would want to!!). And if anyone has any hints about how you look after three children going in three different directions all at once!

Thanks

blott
31-07-2006, 16:03
If you can make sure that they're all competent swimmers then you obviously don't need to watch them every single second but you do need to keep an eye on them I would think - if it was me, I'd be worried sick otherwise.

Whenever I've taken my granddaughters to a pool, I've stayed with them and one of them disappeared completely in a wave pool although she could swim quite well - her twin was fine. I rescued her by managing to catch hold of her swimsuit after she went under and dragged her back up as she was struggling to get to the surface. My grandson is a bit older and a competent swimmer so doesn't need such a close eye kept on him.

If the children aren't competent swimmers then you need to be with them or have them within your sight in the water at all times. So maybe you need to be strict about them not disappearing in three different directions or send them for swimming lessons.

pieman790
31-07-2006, 18:13
We were at the local swimming pool a few months back and saw the life guard jump into the pool and pull a 9 year old out of the pool. She was alive and not injuried but she did not have an adult with her. She could not swim but had decided to jump into the deep end.
My kids are 7 and 4 and i would never leave them alone in a pool or in a water park even though the 7 year old can swim and the 4 year old wears a buoyancy suit.

freddiehollie
31-07-2006, 19:14
Hi Nuala

Loads of lifeguards at both Disney water parks, and at Disney hotel pools (main pools only)
Disney take your safety and well being very seriously. You can't watch them all the time, even though you try, so its nice to know someone who's trained is keeping an eye out as well [msnsmile2]
Have a great time I'm sure the kids will[8D]

ALR
31-07-2006, 22:48
I have to agree that Disney lifeguards are on the ball. We've seen them at both Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon in action. There are also a large number on duty.

However, I would say that I would keep an eye on the kids in the wave pool. The current can be very strong even in the shallow end. If you are planning on riding the slides etc, I would advise that an adult accompany them on such as Crush n Gusher[msnwink]

ALR

freddiehollie
01-08-2006, 01:35
Many a grazed knee or elbow to be seen in wave pool at Typhoon Lagoon
and not just kids as I can testify [msnwink][msnwink]

ncmurray
01-08-2006, 15:04
Thanks everyone, for all your replies. It has clarified it a bit for me. I think I'll just have to spend most of my time with my 7 year old, and just watch the other two. The two eldest can swim quite well, and the 7 year old can swim, but not strongly.