PDA

View Full Version : What map?

mollymoo
25-07-2006, 01:41
Can someone please advise me as to which is the best map to use for navigating around Orlando.

I seem to recall a orange coloured map that was free that we may have picked up from a walmart or somewhere. This was the map that we found the best when we were out in Disney and as we have some friends soon to go out to Orlando I was hoping to advise them.

Thanks Mark

JoRo
25-07-2006, 02:07
There are lots of basic maps in the free advertising mags in wal-mart but can't remember seeing any other free ones. We usually use the easyfinder maps you buy from wal-mart of $6.
Joyce

berni_richards
25-07-2006, 02:44
the most detailed 1 I found was from Hertz.

chris c
25-07-2006, 02:44
The best map we have found is the one that Dollar give out when you pick up the rental car.

AshleyLodge
25-07-2006, 03:04
We have found the Dollar maps useful too but for more detail we bought a larger scale fold up map of the Greater Orlando Area. Ours is a UniversalMAP and we have found it very useful for navigating around the Disney area and Celebration. It was only about $6 from a garage

Have fun finding your way around. You can find some interesting places when you are lost!

You can always try the satnav

Lesley and John
25-07-2006, 10:37
The orange coloured free map you are thinking of is the ones from Tourist Information. You can pick one up at Prime outlet (formerly Beltz) or in the Florida mall.

I think its the best for the attractions area as it shows the main routes.

John

bargainqueen
25-07-2006, 12:49
We normally use the orange central florida guide map as a rough guide map as it's not really correct. Good for the coupons as well. I prefer the pink orientation map a coupon magazine as they deal with specific areas. Don't often see them around now.

You can download maps from [website link edited] but again they are only a rough guide and if it's there first trip a more detailed map may come in handy.

pieman790
25-07-2006, 12:52
We bought a small laminated Map from Walmart which cost us about $6. It folds up nice and compact and wipes clean.

ALR
25-07-2006, 12:57
I like the sound of the laminated one. We'll look out for that one.

ALR

pieman790
25-07-2006, 13:01
They sell them near to the checkouts in Walmart and made by a company called Rand McNally.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ALR
I like the sound of the laminated one. We'll look out for that one.

ALR[/quote]

wilfy
25-07-2006, 15:20
When we went out for our 2nd trip we did invest in one of the larger rand mcnally maps. At the time they were only $10, but they are now up to $25+. If you want to explore outside of the disney/universal area then these are well worth it. (If you're a member of costco they do sell these for 1/2 price [msnsmile2] )

bjpointon
25-07-2006, 21:54
Why not consider renting a sat nav through this site, my recent guests said it was worth every penny.

lorraine51
26-07-2006, 12:15
We went the sat nav route last time,it was brilliant.

mistert
29-07-2006, 22:13
The Rand McNally maps are great, but if you want a detailed map for travelling round the Disney empire, then go to a Disney hotel and ask at the concierge desk for the Disney Restaraunt/Dining guide. This has THE best map of the Disney roads.

sharondl
30-07-2006, 22:13
If you're a member of costco in uk can you use your card in florida never though about it before and how do there prices compare to supermarkets in uk can get some bargins if but in bulk
sharon

blott
30-07-2006, 22:43
Yes, you can use your UK Costco card in the US but they only accept American Express in the way of cards there.

The Costco stores are exactly the same as the UK except they obviously have some different goods for the local market but it's mainly the same bulk situation as in the UK.

You can also get cheaper petrol/gas in Costco store garages.

sharondl
31-07-2006, 01:25
thanks for info will take card next year and have a look
sharon

ujpest doza
01-08-2006, 00:54
The kissimmee-st cloud visitors bureau have a visitors guide with a tourist map.

1FloridaRealtor
14-08-2006, 18:23
Costco will let you have a temp card for a day if you don't have one. They add a small percentage to purchase but sometimes the buys are worth it, We have a store called Sams that is like costco, it is a walmart owned bulk store. Check it out too.

mfairhurst
14-08-2006, 18:43
To join SAMS CLUB for the year it is abour $34 and you can get gas sometimes cheaper depends if the gas station are doing better rates as the petrol stations do her like TESCO AND ASDA here .The tvs are a liitlecheaper at SAMS CLUB
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683