PDA

View Full Version : Wal-Mart

supersneak
30-07-2003, 13:32
Avoid the Wal-Mart on the 192. Waiting times at the checkout are dreadful. We ended up going to the Publix , just north of the juction of 192/John Young. Much quicker.

blott
30-07-2003, 14:33
Wal-Mart isn't brilliant for food shopping as its food section is quite small in comparison with other supermarkets so you'd be better going elsewhere for your food supplies for a larger choice. What Publix, Winn Dixie, etc don't sell, of course, are all the other items that people go to Wal-Mart to buy at bargain prices.

chrizzy100
30-07-2003, 18:12
quote:Originally posted by supersneak

Avoid the Wal-Mart on the 192. Waiting times at the checkout are dreadful. We ended up going to the Publix , just north of the juction of 192/John Young. Much quicker.

Thats very common in a lot of American shops...apart from food shopping......I went into 2 different shops yesterday.....and waited around 20 mins in both...with only one person in front....also trying to shop in Boston is a nightmare.....you can wait forever at the checkout....

bellaepovera
31-07-2003, 00:40
Yes, that WalMart is very busy, but you save alot on everything. So if you are in a hurry better off at the Publix for food shopping, Target or Kmart for other excessories.

Gillian-B
31-07-2003, 22:24
Although we haven't had problems with queues at WalMart when we've been, we find Publix best for food as well. The 192 WalMart is 24-hour and we sometimes go late at night when it's quite empty.

Gillian

MTP
01-08-2003, 03:14
Depending where your villa is, you may find the Wal-Mart at Haines City much better. There are also a lot less tourist (especially UK ones). It is usuall a little quieter than the 192 one.

Andy & Arlene
01-08-2003, 17:29
Avoid Walmart (the 192 one) on a Saturday night. I have never seen a shop so busy and it's not just with the tourists who have just arrived, it's the locals as well.

What a way to spend your Saturday evening eh!

steph_goodrum
01-08-2003, 17:35
Arlene
We foolishly went to Walmart customer service as 1.30 am after going to the parks, to change a faulty tv, the queue was horrendous and it took us nearly an hour and a half but as we were going home a few days later figured we might as well wait it out rather than drive back another day with tv in car.

chrisj
02-08-2003, 20:18
We used the Walmart on 192, never had a problem, mind you we made sure we had less than
20 items and went through the express checkout. But the queues didnt seem that long on the
normal checkouts and we popped in at all times of the day and night

We also used the publix on the obt, that was great as well

chris

glwday
26-08-2003, 15:55
We are staying down in Indian Point, what would folk recommend for a supermarket locally?

Gary

chrisj
26-08-2003, 16:15
Your very close to the Wal Mart so I would go there and see what you think. We didnt
find it that bad just a bit busy. as we were in Crescent Lakes we always popped in there
on the way back to the Vila. This meant we had less than 20 items and so used the express
checkout which was very quick. Its also 24 hour which is great when you keep waking up
at 4 or 5am

Publix is the other one we used and that we quieter and more relaxed and we thought they had
nicer selections.

Chris

traceya89
12-08-2004, 03:04
Walmart is my first port of call when i arrive in florida. i am usually jet lagged on my first day there and wake up about 4.30 ish so we all tend to nip to Walmart and it is surprising how many people are in there, and it is also surprising that a lot of the staff cant speak english.

Nostromo
12-08-2004, 13:56
We have used the Walmart on US192 - the one near Medival Times - quite often and never had a problem. Sure, it is busy but the service is no better or worse than other Walmarts ot similar stores.

Cruella DeVilla
12-08-2004, 15:59
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by supersneak
[/quote]

Must defend Walmart here! Shops in the UK get crazy busy to! Would not say to avoid the Walmart at the 192 just depends when you go.
Agree Publix is better for food stuff. Going to have a nosey in Target and Win Dixie this time, oh and maybe Albertsons?
:D

blott
12-08-2004, 16:22
Albertson's sell sugar free ice cream so they get my vote but they're essentially a food place! :D If you;re going to Target, make it the Super Target on Orange Blossom Trail. ;)

agod
12-08-2004, 17:08
Never mind walmart, my love is walgreens, as a pill junkie, this store is like heaven to me, and all those daft things you forget, you can bet they have it, for such a small store it certainly packs a punch.

Alan

Cruella DeVilla
12-08-2004, 19:18
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
Albertson's sell sugar free ice cream so they get my vote but they're essentially a food place! :D If you;re going to Target, make it the Super Target on Orange Blossom Trail. ;)
[/quote]
Yum...ice cream!
Will take a look at the Super T on OBT then, thanks Blott.

Cruella DeVilla
12-08-2004, 19:20
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by agod
Never mind walmart, my love is walgreens, as a pill junkie, this store is like heaven to me, and all those daft things you forget, you can bet they have it, for such a small store it certainly packs a punch.

Alan
[/quote]

It is dearer than Walmart as I did a price comparision...sad I know. Alan, you are right though it does pack a lot of products in!

brizzle
12-08-2004, 21:04
We like to stop in the Walgreens at the top of I-Drive (opposite Wet'n'Wild) on the way from the airport every trip.
Don't know why but it's become habit.

It is more expensive than Walmart but we use it for the first night essentials then hit Walmart/Publix the next day. It just seems a little less hectic to us...

Brizzle

CarolAnn
22-09-2004, 16:14
The new Wal*mart on H27, completion October!! Yippee, is that 04 or 05? Anyone know?[msntongue]

KJH
23-09-2004, 03:07
Should be Oct 04, as you say, YIPEEEEEEEEE, it's opposite Glenbrook where we have bought Our Villa, and we have a Walgreens and other new shops arriving!!!!!:D

Karen

kaysvacationvilla
23-09-2004, 04:05
Our place is close the 192 Wal-Mart and I made the mistake of going on a Saturday night. I will NEVER do that again. I was there for 3 hours! The wait at the check out was real bad.

From what I have been told is that is the highest grossing Wal-Mart in the the US. It is certainly more crowed than the one I use up here in Mass.

Nostromo
23-09-2004, 11:37
I agree about Saturday crowds, but in this particular Wal-Mart you seem to get everything under the sun (maybe even the sun itself if you look hard enough :D) under one roof. I don't mind living close to it since it is open 24-hours and you can 'pop over' to buy almosy anything when you run out of it.

I have heard that the UK Wal-Marts will eventually shed the 'ASDA' label and go the US way in terms of stocking goods. By the way our local Wal-Mart in west Swindon is growing, I can very well believe it.

SG
23-09-2004, 11:40
Great news about the Walmart on the US27 opening in October. It is very close to our villa on High Grove. Given the amount of time I will be spending in there when the villa is complete I will probably be able to produce a chart of the best times of day or night to visit :)

nikkikk
23-09-2004, 17:10
Well we are villa owners on Indian Point, two minutes from the 192 Walmart and LOVE IT! It is busy but you could spend a whole day just wandering around it! Have never really had to shop elsewhere for food. Do you know that some tour operators run excursions to the Walmart!!! That's how popular it is and its open 24 hours a day which means that you can shop to your hearts content (and very quietly!!!) at 4 am on your first days when the jet lag is at its worst. Don't miss the donughts - absolutely wonderful and just $2 for a box of 12!!!

Our Nanny, who holidays with us, has a picture of Walmart on her screensaver - she loves it that much!
Nikkikk

Lynnes
23-09-2004, 17:30
The Walmart on H27 just ouside southern dunes is great, they have everything and more of what you want.

Mo Guest
25-09-2004, 18:10
Hi all,

I don't think I've shopped anywhere but the WalMart by our villa on Southern Dunes Golf & Country Club Estate, on H27.

It's brilliant - you can get anything from food to diamonds to engine oil and now to English Newspapers!

The most I've queued was Easter 03 when I think we waited 30 mins to get through the tills. I think everyone was stocking up for the Easter holidays - both tourists and locals. The Walmart staff only like to pack 3 items in a carrier bag which also slows the process down!

Never mind - good job I'm usually in holiday mode - which is pretty laid back for a change!:D

Mo

pieman790
27-09-2004, 22:08
I go to Walmart (192) at 7am. There is never a queue and it is empty. I find it really hard to adjust to the time differance so im in bed every night at 10pm and up by 6am. Also do the Home depot shop at that time as well.

chris c
28-09-2004, 01:36
I agree that early morning is the best time for Walmart shopping. I get up fairly early when in Florida and drive down to our local Walmart at the entrance of Southern Dunes (H27). In fact it is the only place I have the courage to drive to!!

amy
28-09-2004, 17:25
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by CarolAnn
The new Wal*mart on H27, completion October!! Yippee, is that 04 or 05? Anyone know?[msntongue]
[/quote]

There is one on the osceola parkway and the queue are nothing like the one on the 192, plus all the checkouts are not manned by Mexicans who can't speak English.

CarolAnn
17-11-2004, 15:11
Who doesn't love a Wal*mart, whatever the queues[8D]Now there are even more springing up( new one on the H27), perhaps that will spread those keen Walmart shoppers around, so they is more room for us.[msnwink]

mr flibble
17-11-2004, 17:00
Hi
We went in the new Walmart on the us27 the day it opened.
Just coincidence it seemed even bigger than the one at the southern end of the us27.
Ended up spending a few dollars things for the house but even Walmart don`t have egg cups !!
We got those from a dollar shop next to Publix furher south near Highland Reserve.

Cruella DeVilla
17-11-2004, 20:14
I don't think the Walmart at Southern Dunes is as good as some of the others. I visited it last trip as it was the nearest to the villa and was a bit disappointed.....Still we have this superduper new one to look forward to now, minutes from us.

(Prefer Publix for food).

LiesaAnna
17-11-2004, 21:59
cannot believe what i am hearing, i know i am as bad, but looking forward to going to "walmart"
say Asda! it just doesnt do the same thing for me!

how sad!!!!!we're all loooooooking forward to going shopping at "walmart""[msnwink][msnwink]

mind you its the people that havent tried "walmart" they just dont know what theyre missing!!!!!! they think its Asda but its not [msnwink]cos we know[msnwink]

KJH
18-11-2004, 03:02
You might even be able to get a new SUN hat!:D

Don't want your special one to fade in the sun..........[msnscared]

Kaz[msnwink]

LiesaAnna
18-11-2004, 03:14
do you know............no i'm not gonna tell you [msnwink]