PDA

View Full Version : safe or not

glasgowmary
13-07-2006, 01:39
don't want to sound an old stick-in -the mud but i do feel children giving out their msn address to people they don' t know even if it is other children they are talking to, what do you all think?[msnscared]

glasgowmary
13-07-2006, 01:45
see i didn't put that what i feel is it's not safe

florida4sun
13-07-2006, 02:07
No it is not safe. As much as I hate to do it, I know exactly who my daughter is speaking to on the net. The odd weirdo does get through but I soon block them without my daughter ever knowing about it.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by glasgowmary
don't want to sound an old stick-in -the mud but i do feel children giving out their msn address to people they don' t know even if it is other children they are talking to, what do you all think?[msnscared]
[/quote]

sharondl
13-07-2006, 02:19
how do you know who the weirdos are as kids use strange user names so can not always tell who they are, check as much as can before kids delete history etc kids know more than I do about computers

would love to know how to play big brother and be able to see what they are doing like companies do
sharon

Kazzie
13-07-2006, 02:41
It is possible but if you are that worried, stop your children from using the pc!

Karen

LiesaAnna
13-07-2006, 02:46
i only let my daughter chat with people she knows! sometimes her friends have their friends with them so she may speak to others that way, but internet is in lounge only behind my chair, i watch everything she does on the net

steph_goodrum
13-07-2006, 03:08
I had the same discussion with my 13 year old nephew the other day, his 11 year old brother was doing some sort of question thing to "predict his future" and he asked him to name his 5 favourite girls, he reeled off a load of names I hadn't heard before and I asked where he knew them from and he said they're all friends I've made on MSN, when I said he should be careful, he was adamant everyone was genuine but luckily the younger one piped up and said about the weirdos that pose as children, so at least he is a bit aware.

glasgowmary
13-07-2006, 14:02
my 15 year old has around 200 contacts on his , you know freinds of friends that sort of thing, again the pc is in the front room and i know his friends very well and i am a nosey mother so i do pry !! i was just concered as on the forum a child asked if anyone had msn and as much as we all seem so nice i thought that would be perfect if you were a weirdo, i guess asparents we all worry

dawn
13-07-2006, 14:07
My daughter only chats with her own group of friends on MSN - I do monitor it, and she doesn't mind. She was asked for her details once by someone she didn't know, and thankfully she had the sense not to give it out. She also spends a lot of time on HabboHotel, again, although there are lots of people she doesn't know on it, she only communicates with her friends. It is a real worry, but we have explained why, and hopefully got through to her[msnsad]

13-07-2006, 14:40
I don't allow mine to use MSN and we always check the 'history' on the computers to check any sites they may have been on just in case[msnscared]

If my older daughter 17 wants to chat to her friends they use email or phone[msnsmile]

flyrr100
13-07-2006, 16:33
I only allow my kids to chat to their friends on Yahoo Messenger. I constantly look at the buddy lists. And I have it set so only folks on the lists can IM in.
Be very aware of what your kids are exposed to online. It's a jungle out there.

Pegasus928
13-07-2006, 19:45
Luckily our 2 haven't been that bothered about chatting on-line so we don't have that worry just yet.
But we do accept it is just around the corner and we will be watching.
Pegasus

ShirleyD
14-07-2006, 14:10
As they get older it is hard to monitor who they talk to as they chat from friends houses, school etc but when they are young, having the computer in an area everyone uses is good. I think all you can do is remind them that they NEVER NEVER give out where they live. England (maybe south of) is close enough and that they never give out their surname as they can be found from that. If you think they are flouting the rules, then you could always sign on yourself as 'a friend' just to enforce the point you don't know who you are talking to (not done it myself!)