PDA

View Full Version : Sanibel

lisi
12-07-2006, 19:37
Anyone been to Sanibel and Captiva lately? When we were last there in 2004 Captiva had been ravaged by the hurricane and I wondered if they are quite back to normal now. Thinking of having a couple of days there in October but haven't yet decided on where to stay - probably on Sanibel in a condo on the beach. O I simply cannot wait! I hope I can get booked up when I finally get number one son to make his mind up. Would love to spend a bit of time watching the wildlife

Lisi

Lynnes
12-07-2006, 20:06
We were there in June this year. All appears to be OK now and looking beautiful.

heathercobbett
12-07-2006, 20:19
We too love Sanibel;last time we went for the day when staying on Rotunda.We went to a different beach/island every day (January and the weather was perfect)

heathercobbett
12-07-2006, 20:20
We always hire bikes....best way to get around

chrisflowers
12-07-2006, 22:01
Time to go and get the 'Sanibel Stoop'

Fantastic island, either walking or biking the best. Plenty of places to hire from once you get on the island from Fort Myers

Tonish
12-07-2006, 22:08
We've rented a villa on Captiva for a week in August. Really looking forward to it. I'll let you know what it's like when we get back.

Katys Grandad
12-07-2006, 22:39
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lisi
Anyone been to Sanibel and Captiva lately? When we were last there in 2004 Captiva had been ravaged by the hurricane and I wondered if they are quite back to normal now. Thinking of having a couple of days there in October but haven't yet decided on where to stay - probably on Sanibel in a condo on the beach. O I simply cannot wait! I hope I can get booked up when I finally get number one son to make his mind up. Would love to spend a bit of time watching the wildlife

Lisi
[/quote]

If you haven't been since 2004 you will see a different island after Hurricane Charlie hit Sanibel & Captiva. The other big difference is the causeway which is being replaced. When it's finished it will be fine but the pleasure of travelling over it has been ruined by the cranes, piledrivers and accompanying noise.

Having said that, it hasn't stopped me going there 3/4 times a year and it's still my favourite part of Florida. Not quite the same place though in my view.

I don't think there are any Sanibel owners on this site so I'm hoping it's OK to recommend renting direct from owners' websites. You will save a lot of money on a Gulf front condo that way.

Tracey K
13-07-2006, 02:45
We were on Sanibel/Captiva last year and everything was running as normal with the exception of one resort complex. Overall the thing we noticed was the lack of taller trees after the storms and the 'new' island that the hurricane had formed. However we were told that it would connect back in years to come with the constant shifting of the sand. It was all still very beautiful with lots to see and we are actually going back in a couple of weeks, staying in a villa.

Fran19
15-09-2006, 15:49
Sanibel and Captiva are on our list to go to this November. We are so looking forward to seeing them both as we have read some good reports. I just hope they are as good in November as the rest of the year! Which one is the best out of the two? And also, what has the most to see?

Robert5988
15-09-2006, 17:49
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Sanibel and Captiva are on our list to go to this November. We are so looking forward to seeing them both as we have read some good reports. I just hope they are as good in November as the rest of the year! Which one is the best out of the two? And also, what has the most to see?[/quote]

Both Islands are joined together by a road and are only 10 or so miles long(thats both of them).

Captiva is at the North end and is smaller with less shops and restaurants and condos for rent etc. However as they are so small it doesn't take long to drive anywhere.

Parking by a beach can be difficult/expensive so make sure you get a place to stay on the beach - most of them are.