3. Good luck with your sale.
4. I am sure it will go quickly

Save lots of posts[msnwink]

Carla
08-07-2006, 02:25
[msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

Ruth
08-07-2006, 02:46
Nice idea Robert:DOnly problem is a lot of the owners who are now selling have been on OV for years so we do all mean what we post and will want to say it still[:I]

Kazzie
08-07-2006, 03:48
Very sharp Robert, been in the knife drawer tonight?[msnwink]

florida4sun
08-07-2006, 07:53
Err no[msnwink]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
Could we have a sticky at the top of this section that states:

Orlando Villas speak for everyone and are:

1. Sorry to see you are going.
2. It is in a lovely location.
3. Good luck with your sale.
4. I am sure it will go quickly

Save lots of posts[msnwink]
[/quote]

SunLover
08-07-2006, 15:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ruth
Nice idea Robert:DOnly problem is a lot of the owners who are now selling have been on OV for years so we do all mean what we post and will want to say it still[:I]
[/quote]

I fully agree with Ruth.

There are some topics that just require duplication.

I certainly wouldn't want to miss out on being able to pass on a personal message to owners I have met through these forums.

Robert5988
08-07-2006, 15:38
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I certainly wouldn't want to miss out on being able to pass on a personal message to owners I have met through these forums.[/quote]

Which is exactly the purpose of the Direct Message(DM) facility is it not? Personal, private and only you and the recipient can see it.

I never want any 'personal message' I send to be viewed by anyone in cyberspace who logs on to OV.

My original post was meant to be TIC. However surely anyone looking at a Villa for sale wants to view posts with information pertinent to that sale; e.g. when was it built? what are HOA fees? How will that freeway being built at the bottom of your garden affect you?

As it is you wade thro' 'good luck' type messages the serve little point except to add another post to your 'score' and give exposure(for some) to your villa link.

florida4sun
08-07-2006, 16:49
Robert it does no harm whatsoever. This is community and I do know someone who sold through OV and the purchaser was taken by the kind remarks left by other owners, this actaullly gave tehm confidence in the owner. So it is a positive thing (obvouis I know!)
If the post is meant ton TIG in cheek why post it in the first place, what is the point in that., other than to create a reaction. But then again....[msnwink]
The DM facility is there to be used if so desired (some have it turned off), it is not designed as filter for posts that one person feels are clogging up the forum.
The first post in the thread gives all the details, for more info the interested party would contact the owner directly.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I certainly wouldn't want to miss out on being able to pass on a personal message to owners I have met through these forums.[/quote]

Which is exactly the purpose of the Direct Message(DM) facility is it not? Personal, private and only you and the recipient can see it.

I never want any 'personal message' I send to be viewed by anyone in cyberspace who logs on to OV.

My original post was meant to be TIC. However surely anyone looking at a Villa for sale wants to view posts with information pertinent to that sale; e.g. when was it built? what are HOA fees? How will that freeway being built at the bottom of your garden affect you?

As it is you wade thro' 'good luck' type messages the serve little point except to add another post to your 'score' and give exposure(for some) to your villa link.
[/quote]

shenon
08-07-2006, 16:50

[/quote]

Isn't that what D'M'S are for[msnwink]

SunLover
08-07-2006, 17:53
There is a destinction between a "personal" message and a "private" one.

My post referred to the former, and I agree with Martin that often receiving such messages on an open forum can be a huge support to members of our online community. I know when my father passed away that the numerous messages of sympathy and support I received were greatly appreciated.

All active OV members have the facility to use DM's if they wish... it's a matter of personal choice. My choice, along with many others, is to post those opinions on an open forum, as I am doing now !

Katys Grandad
08-07-2006, 18:44
Robert

I do agree that saving the need to post is a good idea and would allow a lot of us to spend more time doing more useful things.

In the spirit of that, I have resolved that I won't:

1. When 20 people before me on a particular thread have answered the original question in full, post exactly the same answer as well.

2. Ignore the fact that I don't have a clue about the issue contained in the thread but post to say that "I might try that next trip".

3. Spell the word 'so' with 25 letter o's.

4. Waste everybody's time by asking questions that have been asked many times before because I can't be bothered to use the search tool.

5. Misconstrue your humourous intentions and overreact by biting on your bait.

Grumpy old man? Me????

Cruella DeVilla
08-07-2006, 20:39
So Robert, Do you want to by a villa then?;)

Robert5988
08-07-2006, 22:21
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote: So Robert, Do you want to by a villa then?[/quote]

If the price is right - lots of them[msnwink]Are you selling so soon?

I do own, but don't rent.

I have had an interest in the STR market for a long while and like to keep abreast of the market situation.

Katys Grandad

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Misconstrue your humourous intentions and overreact by biting on your bait.
[/quote]

As a keen Florida angler I wish the fish in the Atlantic rose to the bait sooooooooooooooooo readily!

Arby
10-07-2006, 02:38
I think the point Robert is trying to make is that this board has gone from being informative and full of advice to now being a lovey's club and people just posting good luck at every opportunity. I'm going away to Florida....good luck....I bought a tin of beans and saved 6c ....well done. It's not informative anymore, people are not telling things as they really are and quite honestly the board is bordering on being full of syrupy messages and quite often bad advice or just opinions thrown out there as 'advice'. If someone is advertising their house for sale, you usually see the first original post about the house in very little detail obviously waiting for someone to bite the bullet and ask for more and then you get 20 pages of good luck...hope it goes well...more good luck and no where else when you sell a house would you get this. It's looking very false and the base on which this board I'm assuming was built on is getting trashed. If you're all friends, great, lovely. Most of us aren't and we're here for the sole purpose of shooting ideas and hoping someone else knows what we need to find out, OR look to purchase or sell something. Please save your personal friendship for the DMs or the phone. If someone you know is selling their house and you're sorry to see them go...pick up the phone. Talk as long as you like. This is a board for information not a sympathy board, we don't want to read it. We just want to read information for the most part. You're turning what was a good discussion board into a cheesy chatroom.

chrizzy100
10-07-2006, 03:18
Where was the post about saving 6c on a can of beans.....[?][}:)]

Arby
10-07-2006, 11:37
I think some of you guys seem to have it the wrong way around. Shouldn't it be that you wish everyone good luck privately in a DM and then if people want to know information about the homes etc for sale the information is for everyone to see and then that person might have more opportunity to sell it, the further questions answered. There's really no need to wish anyone good luck on selling a house. Honestly some of the comments that are put on this board are mindless drivel. I'm sure they just do it to get the links to their villa advertised, because often they are embarassing to read, they're such nonsense.

LiesaAnna
10-07-2006, 11:50
mine is always mindless drivel and i am not a villa owner, i think its called being friendly?
and we are told this is a family friendly forum,
if you know its going to be "mindless drivel" why choose to read it?

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
10-07-2006, 12:15
Selling a villa is an emotional enough thing without the support of your peers. I don't see anything wrong with people supporting well known and regular villa owners when they sell. I've just looked through the villas for sale threads and there really are not that many that are like this - I see quite a few with no replies.

We're a community of villa owners who all support each other and I see absolutely nothing wrong with a little bit of support at a time that is very emotional for the owner concerned. I personally would not add to a thread like that unless it's someone I have met and know personally but each to their own. You can always skip the bits of the thread that are of no interest - it does not take much to do this.

I have, however, created a separate Villas For Sale section of the forums and moved all villas for sale threads I found into there. Hopefully this will mean people can more readily identify the likely threads.

TonyBlenk
10-07-2006, 12:29
I've discovered a lot of useful information from the forum for which I'm grateful.
I do however, feel that many irrelevant postings are made for the sole purpose of increasing the number of individual postings. Just my opinion. [msnsad]

Arby
10-07-2006, 12:30
I think you're slightly missing the point John. Not only do these regulars/villa owners pounce on every opportunity to wish everyone who they know good luck but notice the way they all give out this seemingly expert advice when it's not so. I've read threads when they've told people that their houses are overpriced etc because they happen to own a villa in Florida too of similar size. How do they work that out? You can have a subdivision with houses of 2500 sq ft and going for $300,000 each and one next door same size going for a million each. That's just how it works in America. But it's false advice and it's not very helpful to the owners of property that they do that to is it? One look at OMG ITS OVERPRICED [msnoo]--who do you think will buy that house from here? Also they misrepresent. To say that the new road which leads from 192 to Old Lake Wilson is not having an effect, I think they need to rethink that one. From what I hear it's had a very definite affect on prices and sales. I think stick to the lovey stuff on vacations but sometimes these regulars are killing this board and some people's chances to sell their properties.

And PS it's grown adults selling vacation homes. They don't need support of peers. It's not a death.

luckylady
10-07-2006, 12:35
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Arby
I think the point Robert is trying to make is that this board has gone from being informative and full of advice to now being a lovey's club and people just posting good luck at every opportunity. I'm going away to Florida....good luck....I bought a tin of beans and saved 6c ....well done. It's not informative anymore, people are not telling things as they really are and quite honestly the board is bordering on being full of syrupy messages and quite often bad advice or just opinions thrown out there as 'advice'. If someone is advertising their house for sale, you usually see the first original post about the house in very little detail obviously waiting for someone to bite the bullet and ask for more and then you get 20 pages of good luck...hope it goes well...more good luck and no where else when you sell a house would you get this. It's looking very false and the base on which this board I'm assuming was built on is
getting trashed. If you're all friends, great, lovely. Most of us aren't and we're here for the sole purpose of shooting ideas and hoping someone else knows what we need to find out, OR look to purchase or sell something. Please save your personal friendship for the DMs or the phone. If someone you know is selling their house and you're sorry to see them go...pick up the phone. Talk as long as you like. This is a board for information not a sympathy board, we don't want to read it. We just want to read information for the most part. You're turning what was a good discussion board into a cheesy chatroom.[/quote]

Sorry not going to read the above rubbish, without having my say.
IMHO you haven't the experience or the knowledge to make such comments.What do you base your accusations on? 146 posting in nearly
a year!!!
Yes it is a forum for information,first and foremost always was always will be.
OV is the most successful forum of its kind.We have many guests and new member who will confirm this,time and time again
Yes we are friendly as well have informative,can we not do both?
I was a new member once,I remember very clearly how I was made to feel welcome right from the start.as I know you will have been welcomed in the same manner. ok the good luck posting maybe a bit cheesy at times, but for Gods sake look at the bigger picture.
What's a few over the top good luck message ,compared to everything else this forum offers.
You are way out of your depth,I know this forum very well, and many satisfied guests and members I have no doubt will pass judgement on your comments.

Arby
10-07-2006, 12:43
Lucky Lady with all due respect. Just because my name has a date and a number of postings that doesn't mean you have been reading this board longer than me or more than me. It just means that was the date I signed up to actually participate in postings. I've actually been reading this board for more years than you have been a member. 146 postings I've made, some good, some bad, some indifferent, but just because someone has several thousand postings against their name it doesn't mean it was always informative or a good read.

I believe outside of the lovey's club, there will be a lot of regulars like myself who think the same way I do.

TonyBlenk
10-07-2006, 12:48
Why not now all 'put this to bed' and accept we all have diferent opinions.
Let's get back to being a friendly bunch all competing to rent out our villas and enjoying the experience. [msnwink]

steph_goodrum
10-07-2006, 12:49
"And PS it's grown adults selling vacation homes. They don't need support of peers. It's not a death."

If you're trying to find homes without reading the rest of the messages, there's always the MLS or realtor.com

In some cases it is very personal circumstances like death, divorce etc that has forced the sale of the home and other owners know this. The difference between the owners here and many other websites is that although effectively we are all competitors we have a mature enough attitude to be able to see past that and make friends with other homeowners and believe me there are times when the help and support is gratefully received. This becomes apparent to somebody who may be looking to buy a home when they see the other messages and may give them the confidence to go for it rather than listen to the spiel of a Realtor who obviously only has one agenda.

Arby
10-07-2006, 12:51
Agreed to both of the two posts above and before I leave this thread alone I would just add, that Realtors don't have an agenda they have a job to do and one of those jobs is to disclose with expert experience how much properties are really worth in their experience and opinion unlike people on this board and to tell the truth that certain roads ARE infact having an adverse affect.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
10-07-2006, 13:31
With respect I'm not missing the point at all [msnwink].

I'm locking this thread now as it's run it's course.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Arby
I think you're slightly missing the point John. [/quote]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
10-07-2006, 13:35
I don't agree - what possible reason would people do this for as they get no benefit whatsoever out of it.

I think it's just a case of like in real life, some people are naturally more chatty than others and I can't see a problem with that.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by TonyBlenk
I do however, feel that many irrelevant postings are made for the sole purpose of increasing the number of individual postings. Just my opinion. [msnsad]
[/quote]