PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles

Twiglet
07-07-2006, 02:27
Has anyone every stayed in LA?

When we make our big trip out in 2008, we will have to break the journey in LA, as its a refuelling stop for Australia, so we thought we may as well spend a few days there en route from Orlando.

Plus we will have done the big farewell to the family, so it would be nice to stop on the way home, to cheer ourselves up, although it will be hard!

Most of the places I have looked at, for families, seem to be around Disney Parks, which obviously I won't bother with, as we will have done all that in Florida, and will be too expensive for us after that big blow out!

So if anyone has any tips on where to stay, areas, etc etc, that would be great. I know its a while away, but no harm researching now, and getting an idea of costs! Somebody said Santa Monica is nicer than staying in the heart of LA.

Thanks!

jackie greaves
07-07-2006, 02:51
We visited about 4 years ago. Stopped over for 3 nights on the way to Hawaii. We stayed at the Beverly Hilton, I think, it was very near to Rodeo Drive, and very expensive, but as it was only for 3 nights we treated ourselves. It was a fantastic hotel. Hubby took me shopping on Rodeo Drive but insisted we went at 9 in the morning whilst all the shops were shut[msnsad]. We could see the Holywood sign from our balcony.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
07-07-2006, 03:09
We stayed in Venice Beach which was lovely - very relaxed, chilled out and very cultural. If we went to LA again then we'd almost certainly go there or just up the road in Santa Monica. We loved our suite which was literally overlooking the beach - how many LA hotels can claim that :).

As for places to visit, we absolutely loved the Getty Museum (http://www.getty.edu/). Santa Monica is great for restaurants and shops with lots to see and do. There are loads of other really interesting places to visit in the area and of course, the free stroll along the beach where we saw a pack of killer whales jumping in the surf, which was absolutely amazing to watch.

pepsi
07-07-2006, 04:38
We have visited LA a couple of times. The first year stayed near Disney and the second year very near Hollywood. I prefered staying near Hollywood as you are near all the other attractions. We stayed at the Hollywood Boulvard - a very old hotel, with loads of history, but very interesting, and not too expensive.

Aiminghigh
07-07-2006, 08:49
We stayed at the Hyatt Regency on Newport Beach a few years ago. It was quite relaxed and family friendly.It's a few miles out of the "centre" so you'd need a car if you wanted to do the sights.

Carole

Twiglet
07-07-2006, 09:19
Oooh thank you, its great to get snippets of information from friends here.

timfawson
07-07-2006, 12:21
In April we stayed in a Best Western in Long Beach only for one nigh it was ideal for us as we were leaving the next day but we did manage to see the Queen Mary

Cruella DeVilla
07-07-2006, 15:26
Theresa I was disappointed with LA itself, it was generally quite rough. We were orignally staying downtown LA but I decided we should go out to Anaheim. I am glad I have been there though as it is one of those places!

There are lots of nicer places further along the coast as the others have said. You have a while to research as you say so I am sure you can find something that suits all the fmaily.

Mo Green
07-07-2006, 16:11
Like Cruella we were disappointed with LA itself but were lucky enough to stay with friends who lived in La Jolla (south of LA) and Glendorra (north of LA).
La Jolla is beautiful and San Diego is worth a visit especially in the evening in old town which has a great atmosphere with mexican restaurants. If you are going to be there in March you can go on a boat to watch the grey whales migrating from Mexico to the north - we saw a group of 9 and an amazing pod of about 300 dolphins.
North of LA Hollywood, Beverley Hills, Rodeo Drive are well worth a visit and of course Santa Monica with great restaurants.

Sniff
07-07-2006, 16:11
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by timfawson
In April we stayed in a Best Western in Long Beach only for one nigh it was ideal for us as we were leaving the next day but we did manage to see the Queen Mary
[/quote]
A couple of years ago I was involved in a conference at Long Beach, and I stayed on the QM...definitely different!! I was on a business trip so I don't recall the prices of the rooms. Maybe you could even stay there

http://www.queenmary.com/index.php?page=hotel

Cruella DeVilla
07-07-2006, 20:32
Have to agree with Mo, San Deigo is fab and we also liked La Jolla.

Claire
07-07-2006, 20:41
We have stayed in Santa Monica couple of times (Sheraton and Fairmont Miramar - both good) and used it as a base for exploring the area.

Santa Monica pier is great for an evening stroll.

Venice Beach, where all the local 'artists' come to show off and sell their wares - a very strange mix of hippy types and 'crazy' individuals - have your photograph taken with my giant gecko, etc!!

3rd Street Promenade in the evening is not to be missed - all the local 'lunatics' come out to earn a few $ busking, etc - children dancing with their parents looking on, Elvis look-alikes, tone deaf people trying to sing, the memorable filthy old man with his 'Psychic Cat' (I kid you not!!).

The beautiful Wayfarer's Chapel in Rancho Palos Verdes - All glass chapel designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and used in many movies and the place where many stars have married (Marilyn Monroe included).

Griffith Park Observatory up in the Hollywood Hills - spectacular views and very interesting.

The wonderful Farmers Market at 3rd and Fairfax in LA. Great food and interesting place to shop.

La Brea tar pits on Wilshire Blvd - Very interesting exhibits of dinosaur bones found in the tar pits. Tar pits under excavation still visible.

Whale watching in the San Pedro area - if you time your visit right.

Universal Studios.

Finally, of course, the original Disneyland at Anaheim - and California Adventure is great fun.

That's all I can think of right now!!

CLAIRE

PJS
07-07-2006, 20:48
I have stayed in LA a couple of times, luckily enough on holiday! my advice to you would be to see if you could organise your trip with a refueling stop in San Francisco (the best city in the world!!!). However there is plenty to see & do LA, the best way is to take a 1 full day organised bus tour taking in Hollywood, downtown, old town. Beverly Hills & Venice beach. There are plenty of stops on this trip at many of the major tourist spots. There are plent of guide books available, I found Fodors to be the best.
I have stayed in Hollywood & Anaheim, Anaheim seemed to be the best value & standard
Good luck

ShirleyD
07-07-2006, 20:49
We are ending up in LA at the end of our summer hols this year, because the kids want to go to the extreme sports show, to see the skate boarders and BMX stunts, but we plan to stay on the coast the night before, then find a motel between the 2 events we have booked for one night. Not my favourite place in the world, but the coast is lovely

Twiglet
08-07-2006, 01:56
Oh thanks for the info ~ I loved reading everyone's posts, and Claire you gave me heaps to go and see, so that was great!
That chapel sounds amazing!
I guess we will have to hire a car, and at least I will have had a chance to 'practice' driving on the other side of the road, when we are in Orlando!
I've heard LA is very dirty and disappointing, which is why I thought maybe Santa Monica, and then do one of the tours of LA.
PJS I did think about San Fran, as we can stop there or L.A., but my kids REALLY want to see the Hollywood sign [msnwink]