PDA

View Full Version : Dolphin swim - age

KateUK
04-07-2006, 00:43
If you go for the dolphin swim at Discovery Cove, do they check the kids age? Do they ask for passport etc?

We are taking a little boy with us who will be a couple of months short of 6, but wants to do the swim. Will we get away with it (he is tall for his age)

Thanks

dawn
04-07-2006, 01:10
Kate,
I can't remember if we were asked for ID, but I would be worried the whole time that my 5 year old would be 'truthful' if asked, and it would be a shame if he got there and was dissapointed

christhear
04-07-2006, 01:21
Kate

Apart from the age problem you need to be aware that this boy will not be able to stand for most of the things they do.
Is he a confident swimmer, because for the actual swim bit you go out on your own to a deep bit of water then the dolphin picks you up.
I took my son at 6 and had to hold him for all the patting, and shallow water stuff. Luckily he was ocnfident enough to swim in deep water.
If I remeber you have to take Id with you when you book in so apart from a passport what other ID would they have for him?

mizzy
04-07-2006, 02:02
we showed passport id for the full party when we checked in

personally i wouldn't risk it they usually have these restrictions in place for safety and safety is the no 1 priority when your in the water with a 350-650kg / 22 foot long dolphin

much better to wait until your son is older and then he will remember the experience more

Mizzy

GrahamC
04-07-2006, 02:06
I would certainly check with them first, as they are very safety aware. They do check everyones passports when you check in.

KateUK
04-07-2006, 02:28
Thanks for all the feedback.
It's my friend's little boy. I said I would ask all you helpful people for her. Her son is the youngest in the class, but also one of the biggest, so most 6 year olds would actually be smaller than him.

She will be going back when he is older, so they can always do the swim then. This time might be better doing Seaworld and seeing the dolphins there!!

becbecs
04-07-2006, 12:22
I beleive you do have to take ID / Passport with you for all members going to Discovery Cove. But as said earlier check with them, go on their website and find out. Better safe than sorry

christhear
04-07-2006, 13:06
If they take him to seaworld, go and see the dolphins at feeding time. Buy him some fish and he will get a close encounter with a dolphin. Feeding time is popular best to get there 15 mins early to queue for the fish as they only sell a limited amount each time.

Pegasus928
04-07-2006, 16:39
Just a quick response to the height issue when doing the dolphin encounter at Discovery Cove.
When we went neither of my 2 were strong swimmers and both were too small to be able to stand alongside Capricorn (our dolphin [msnsmile2]) even though they are both over 6. But they do provide floatation vests for the younger guests for this very reason.
This made life a lot easier for me and Mrs Pegasus as we didn't have to hold onto them the whole time, plus it gave them the extra confidence they needed to do the swim part.
Pegasus

mizzy
04-07-2006, 17:16
we swam with capricorn too, he was a cheeky fellow and kept nipping off to see his girlfriend across the lagoon[msnsmile2] the trainer said that he's a real ladies man and liked to show off in front of the female dolphins[msnwink]

they gave us longer in the water because of his cheeky behaviour[clap]

both of our children and my husband wore the float vests

Mizzy

nicklangdon
05-07-2006, 13:57
we also swam with capricorn - he was in one of the jaws films (jaws 3 i think)
My daughter had the birthday package and we have some lovely photos of us with him![msnsmile2]

Ali