PDA

View Full Version : house alarms

kitty
30-06-2006, 12:25
Hi just sorting out villa instructions and just one question,is the alarm to the villa roughly by the front door as you enter,i know everyones villa is different but we are a bit worried about finding the location to start with.Thanks

Ray&Sarah
30-06-2006, 12:28
I think you should check with your villa owner Kitty, as there are many locations that the alarm might be in and this would set your mind at rest. Have a great holiday.[msnsmile2]

CERICROWLEY
30-06-2006, 12:30
Lorraine

Best ask the owner, they are commonly by the front door. but the more you know before you arrive the better

MarkJan
30-06-2006, 12:53
Definately ask the villa owner. Please try to ensure there are no false alarms as you may have a police officer at the front door (unlike over here!)

kitty
30-06-2006, 13:01
Hi yes thats what were worried about false alarms to start with,trouble is our e-mails dont seem to be getting through and dont like to keep bothering the owner with phone calls,but for our peace of mind will try him later.Thanks for the replys

julieanne
30-06-2006, 13:19
Control boxes are usually pretty easy to find just inside the front door - but I'm sure the owner won't mind at all if you call him to check.

We've had a couple of false alarms [msnembarrased] one, resulting in the sheriff turning up [msnembarrased] [msnembarrased] He was very nice though [msnwink]

Pegasus928
30-06-2006, 13:28
The alarm to the villa we last had was in the utility room but we were given full instructions from the villa owner. This sort of info usually comes to you once you have paid your final balance and receive directions, address details etc.

Have a great time

Mr & Mrs Pegasus

mizzy
30-06-2006, 13:34
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by MarkJan
Definately ask the villa owner. Please try to ensure there are no false alarms as you may have a police officer at the front door (unlike over here!)
[/quote]

we had the pleasure of a police man at the door when our alarm was accidently tripped
the main man who opened the door was a little bit worse for wear as we'd been to a dinner show
within minutes we had a phone call asking for a passcode, despite looking frantically through the house manual we'd been told that a sherrif was on the way[msnscared]

it took about 10 minutes and he was there presenting us with the keys that the main man had left outside in the door lock[msnembarrased]

he was pretty scary at first being fully armed and kitted out with a gun and taser

but after a strict talking too with the men of the house he happily posed for photos with my teenage nephew and demostrated how the indicator light works on his taser gun by poining it at the ceiling
he even wrote down his e.mail so my nephew could send him a copy of the photo[msneek]

it goes without saying that i will be asking for full details of what to do if the alarm trips from our next villa owner

Mizzy

chris c
30-06-2006, 14:43
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by kitty
Hi yes thats what were worried about false alarms to start with,trouble is our e-mails dont seem to be getting through and dont like to keep bothering the owner with phone calls,but for our peace of mind will try him later.Thanks for the replys
[/quote]

I'm sure that the villa owner will be only too happy to set your mind at rest.
Don't feel guilty about phoning!!

GrahamC
30-06-2006, 16:22
Ours is in the utility room, which is quite common in a lot of homes.

The owner will not mind at all if you contact him to check.

jovi
30-06-2006, 17:43
We have stayed in villas three times now and not one of them had an alarm[:O] Never really thought about it really[msnembarrased]

E. Cosgrove
30-06-2006, 18:26
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mizzy
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by MarkJan
[/quote]

we had the pleasure of a police man at the door when our alarm was accidently tripped
the main man who opened the door was a little bit worse for wear as we'd been to a dinner show
within minutes we had a phone call asking for a passcode, despite looking frantically through the house manual we'd been told that a sherrif was on the way[msnscared]

it took about 10 minutes and he was there presenting us with the keys that the main man had left outside in the door lock[msnembarrased]

he was pretty scary at first being fully armed and kitted out with a gun and taser

but after a strict talking too with the men of the house he happily posed for photos with my teenage nephew and demostrated how the indicator light works on his taser gun by poining it at the ceiling
he even wrote down his e.mail so my nephew could send him a copy of the photo[msneek]

it goes without saying that i will be asking for full details of what to do if the alarm trips from our next villa owner

Mizzy

[/quote]
The owner should ensure you have the passcode before you travel, just in case you inadvertently set off the alarm[msneek]

caroline
30-06-2006, 18:26
Ours is in the utility and as well as the code number we also give our guests the password incase they accidentally set it off[msnwink]

blott
30-06-2006, 18:33
Ours is in the entrance hall but it does look similar to the air con thermostat so we give our guests explicit instructions on how to locate it, the code and also the emergency password, just in case!

Your home owner should provide all the info you'll need before you leave for Florida. If they're anything like us, we'd rather our guests ask than worry so please don't be concerned about contacting them with any queries or questions you might have.

ujpest doza
30-06-2006, 18:38
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jovi
We have stayed in villas three times now and not one of them had an alarm[:O] Never really thought about it really[msnembarrased]
[/quote]

Snap.

Except we have stayed in 5 different houses none of which have had an alarm either.

Only really been a bit concerned about this once when we were staying in an estate in Davenport that was a little cut off from civilisation, backed onto a small field which itself was bordered by a main road so was quite vulnerable and had no security guards patrolling.

Every other time we've been the estate has either had a security guard at the entrance and making patrols or is gated with the added bonus of a security guard to back up the key code access.

mizzy
30-06-2006, 19:19
i think we where never given the passcode because the villa had been sold to new owners a few months before we were due to arrive and our booking was passed over with the sale

the new owners gave us pretty much zilch information wise

and it took ages to get security deposit back too

Mizzy

chrizzy100
30-06-2006, 19:24
While an alarm is a plus ...gated and guards in the Orlando area are not really needed and should not be top on your list of must haves..

I'm sure the owner will give you all the info about the alarm...3 false call outs and they could get a fine or the police will not responed...

Alarms are easy to set and disarm...so you should have no worries...[msnsmile]

suegooding
30-06-2006, 21:01
We have an alarm too and if I had guess who were due to stay and were worrying about using our alarm I would want them to call me. We give out detailed instructions with password as well once full payment is made.

Have a great time.

reemur
30-06-2006, 21:11
Our alarm is in the laundry room When you get the villa details they should tellyou where it is & the password & code

Milly
01-07-2006, 01:58
I would call your villa owner and think nothing of it, thats what you are paying for. I even give brochures and go and see people locally and help plan there holidays. If you have a problem ask, most villa owners would be pleased to help you, good service means good recomendations and repeat bookings.

:):):)

Genie
01-07-2006, 10:50
Your villa owner should certainly provide you with this information, we always sent writen details of exactly where the alarm is and instructions of how to set it each time they leave the villa.

bargainqueen
01-07-2006, 15:38
I personally hate house alarms as years ago I made a mistake in keying in the number and dispite keying in the correct number repeatedly the alarm went off.

Picked up the phone and line was dead, found out later it had been connected via phone line[msneek] Knowing the password didn't help then.

Police eventually arrived and went away.

One thing I always pack in hand luggage is a torch as when you open door you have no idea where the light switch is. You may also need it if you have to open a key box outside.

Ask the owner what buttons you need to press to clear a wrongly entered number, it might come in handy.

blott
01-07-2006, 17:14
We always leave a light on inside our home (and have lights outside too) for our guests so no need for them to take a torch! [msnoo] Although we do provide torches (inside) too! :)

I agree cancellation button info might be useful info to have, although the alarm monitoring company should have telephoned the home so that you could give the code word and it sounds like something might have been wrong with the set up of that alarm.

It's worth bearing in mind about home alarms too that these are sometimes also monitored fire alarms in connection with the smoke alarms. We'd rather make sure that our guests are doubly safe than have them think that we're not bothered.

bargainqueen
01-07-2006, 17:40
Yes the alarm was connected incorrectly and made a farce of the whole system.

In a previous villa I set off the alarms but the code word worked fine.

We find that even with a light on outside a torch helps to see the numbers on key box.

It's amazing how many people do not leave on lights and panic sets in when you step over the threshold and hear those beaps[msnscared] What do you do first, hunt for the light switch or turn off the alarm.

blott
01-07-2006, 18:23
We thought of that and positioned one of the outside lights right near the key lock box and the alarm keypad is illuminated - we're so considerate! [msnwink]

Actually, we used to be guests ourselves once, like most owners, so have 'ironed out' some of the wrinkles we've discovered in the past.

chrizzy100
01-07-2006, 20:03
Our light switches have lights on them..so you can see them in the dark...